Pontiac G6 Sealed Transmission Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2009 G6 is approaching 50k miles and probably due for a transmission fluid change. (Its never once been changed)
I called my local dealership and they quoted me 144$ for a complete flush that takes 16 quarts out.
I asked if I could bring my own fluid, I rather use Castrol Dexron VI synthetic blend that I can get for 2.53$ a quart. She said it would probably take 20$ off if I brought my own fluids..

Anyways...Would you guys advise against a flush? Or just a pan drop?
Or do it myself? I would only take the pan off..Though im not sure how, it doesn't have a transmission dipstick or anything..
Thanks.

Flush changes all the fluid...I would go with the flush to ensure that it is all changed. If you like your own fluid better, then go ahead and use it...frnakly, it's an understanding dealer taht is willing to use your fluid...many won't.

You could flush it yourself via the cooler line...disconnect the pressure line, attach a clear hose and put it in a graduated clear jug (Measure 2QTS on a washer fluid jug for example). Idle the engine, pump out 2 QTS. Shut it off, replace 2QTs via the dipstick and repeat until fluid is clear, you can even shift into R or D while idling to ensure that all circuits are flushed...

Messy, but works...personally? $144 is a pretty good price...I would just have them do it for that price...

Right...144$ is the price with their fluids. Should I just use the dealership bulk transmission fluid? Or would you suggest buying 16 quarts of Castrol VI? It would cost me about 20$ more...So i figured about 164$ w/o tax.
My family is planning on keeping this car long, we put about 25k+ miles per year, so we need the tranny to last long.

Last edited:
The dealership sound be using Dexron-VI since that is what it calls for.

All licensed Dexron-VI fluids are very similar so I would not bother bringing your own fluid.

I wonder how they get all 16 qts out.
When I last changed the transmission fluid on my Grand Prix, it only took 8 qts to refill.
The pan gasket is reusable, but those changes are messy with a capital M.
I would think an independent service station would do it for a lot less. Even with your own fluid. The fluid is overpriced so they make up any difference with labor charges.

It is critical that the filter inside the trans be serviced.

A passive flush is great but the filter is important to the longevity of the trans.

My pontiac dealer quoted $159 for a drop/filter/fill or $199 for a flush/filter/fill.
I went with the flush as it is something that gets done every 3 or 4 years.

You think a complete flush w/ filter change every 50k is excessive?
The manual does recommend the trans fluid to be changed every 50k severe, but I dont know if their just referring to a full flush or a pan drop?

Last edited:
Every time I've dropped the pan, there was a significant amount of material in the bottom of the pan; usually close to the magnet.
A 'full flush' doesnt' get those fines out. And while the filter might make it to the magical 100,000 miles, I'm not comfortable doing so.

Quote:
I rather use Castrol Dexron VI synthetic blend
Dexron-VI is a demanding spec that can only be met by a syn blend or better. I see no reason to use one brand of syn blend over another. Just confirm that the dealership is actually using Dex-VI...some use any bulk fluid that is cheap enough. Dex-VI, due to its tough spec, is good for 100,000 miles. If your 50k is light duty, you don't really need to change that fluid. (I know, some can't conceive of any fluid living that long. Some on this board still change engine oil at 3000 miles....
confused.gif
)

It cost me less than 50 bucks doing it myself. That way I know it was done right; clean trans pan and pan bolts properly torqued so they don't leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back