06 Scion TC ....Curse of noisey brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is the skinny. I replaced my front pads at 40k miles with Napa brand ceramics. They got noisey after 5k. Turned out the shims came loose. Replaced em with thermoquiets on the front and Adavance Auto's ceramics on the back. I turned the rotors, cleaned up everything, lubed it up, and its still squeeling on fronts and backs now. Unless I ride the brakes hard, then its quiet. Around town its embarrassingly loud.

I was thinking of spraying some disc brake quiet on em and trying that. If that doesnt work, I have no idea. Opinions?

Try a set of Genuine Toyota pads (not TCMC)?

Either the person who is turning your rotors is giving them an improper finish, or there's something wrong with the hardware.

Originally Posted By: jtaylor
On many ads, you arent supposed to lube them. Make sure you read the instructions.

+1

Wagner Thermoquiets are supposed to be installed dry. Same with Posiquiets, which have coated shims.

Brake anti squeal sauce will most likely cure it.
I'd use the $6 red bottle that is a viscous gel [auto parts store].
Even though the shims are supposed to quiet things, they often do not. This goes on the back of the pads - all over. A decent coat.
If the shims are loose, a little underneath them first is what I'd do.

Don't let it dry before assembly. Do one side at a time, and press the brake to seat everything before it sets up.
Take it easy for the first few brakes, as with any brake work.

And BTW, you could have done this with your old pads!

I turned the rotors on our Acuturn machine. I do lots of brakes and never have an issue with any other car like this. Mine is just being a pain. I am about ready to buy factory pads if it wont shut up. I probably do about 10 sets of brakes a week at our shop and have never had such a stubborn car.

I think I am going to try the brake quiet trick. I know they are supposed to be done dry, but dry is simply not working. My old pads on the front, the shims fell off they were not simply loose. My only thought is that factory pads were semi metallic and I put ceramic on. Perhaps thats part of the problem.

OEM pads.
I can't tell you how many times I've had owners talk about this over the years.
If you're not looking for an agressive pad (hawk, EBC, etc.) the oem pads and hardware are TOUGH to beat.
TC's generally go alot more than 40k on pads though.

I have always heard that Toyotas and Hondas are very picky in regards to brake pads. They will squeal with anything other than the OEM brand pads.

I don't think it's the cars, I think it's the pads.
I can't tell you how many raybestos products I've seen fail, or generally perform like poo-poo.
And many many others just aren't up to the quality that the oem pads are.
Backing plates that don't fit right, friction material de-laminating from the backing plate, friction material peeling away in large flakes, etc etc.
Not to mention some of the "lifetime pads" that just destroy the rotors.

Dont spray disc quiet on the wagners if they have the intergrated shims.

Not to sound rude but why did u waste time turning the rotors. That is probably where ur squealing problem came about with the wagners. Most of rotors sold now a days shouldnt be turned or cut

I have put the wagners on many honda and toyotas with used rotors and new rotors and have never had a noise issue. I also never have cut or turn any of the rotors i put them on.

Originally Posted By: RH+G

Not to sound rude but why did u waste time turning the rotors. That is probably where ur squealing problem came about with the wagners. Most of rotors sold now a days shouldnt be turned or cut

They may not need to be cut, but a properly resurfaced rotor with the correct surface finish should not be a problem.

However, if the surface finish was too rough then it may be contributing to the noise problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back