Grease zerks don't seem to hold grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had to replace a few ball joints on my pickup. I replaced two sealed upper ball joints, with new greaseable aftermarket ball joints. I greased up the ball joints via their zerk fittings with standard ball joint grease. After a few days I did a visual inspection, and to my suprise saw that the ball joint's zerks were building a large glob of grease.

It seems that they are spitting the grease back out! I checked to ensure the ball and spring seal are working, with a paper clip, on both zerks. The balls are in fact there, and the spring seems to work. It does not appear (hard to tell when greased up) that the balls are coming to the very top however.

What is going on here? I don't have much experience with zerks...since the majority of the cars I have owned have had sealed lifers.

Did I overfill these bad boys? (I filled them until I saw some fresh grease come from the bottom of the boots when I first bought them) I had to replace the upper control arms as a complete unit with the new ball joints on them, so I greased them up well before I bolted them on. Once installed, they seemed a bit overfilled, but nothing alarming.

Is this normal, or do I have a couple of cheap zerks on my hands? Or did I overfill them and the grease is coming out of the zerks?

Last edited:
I'd wipe them off and check every couple days. There could be a little excess around the ball and spring (but still plenty of lube where you need it). Also, the pressure changes the part goes through in normal driving might force a little out. If it keeps coming out over the long haul you could have a problem.

Thanks for the quick reply. It has already pushed out about a table spoon of grease.

I would guess the initial greasing was a bit overboard....around 15 pumps with a grease gun.

I will continue to monitor them and report.

15 pumps with a grease gun is way over board. I do 3 to 5 on the initial and then 2 pumps every 5-10K miles, just enough to cover the ball top. Over greasing the ball joints is bad as the rubber cover should not be stretched although some have a weep hole. My experience is 30 years old however so new joints may differ.

15 pumps seems a bit much, I'd say about 8-10 pumps should have filled them. . I generally put my hand on the rubber boot, and when it feels firm and you can feel the grease in it I give it one more pump and stop. If it continues to ooze out replace the zerk fittings.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
15 pumps is a lot.
Clean them off for a week or so.

Yeah, two or three would be more appropriate.

It sounds like the new grease fittings are defective and allowing the grease to come out. I would try replacing the fittings with new ones ahd they should seal properly.

It sounds like the new grease fittings are defective and allowing the grease to come out. I would try replacing the fittings with new ones ahd they should seal properly.

Though I have never heard of it, is there any chance these zerks are designed to do this as a means to relieve over-greasing conditions?

A inquiry to the company is in order.

What brand is the new joints? The Moog upper/ lower ball joints and tie rod ends I replaced the originals with have vented boots, as per instructions included with the new parts "to flush out old grease and contaminents at each servicing". These joints are only a year or so old, so what would be considered overfilling in that situation?

Originally Posted By: defektes
A little tip, just fill them till the boots are firm to the touch no more!

+1

I won't put more than 2 pumps in mine. I'd rather have just enough grease than so much it splits a boot. That's a hard lesson to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back