Detaching rearview mirror button on Fords

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be upgrading my standard day/night mirror on the Grand Marquis to a Gentex auto dim mirror I got off a 2004 Grand Marquis LS at the yard yesterday. But I have a slight problem.

It took me 2 hours to find a vehicle with the exact mirror I wanted, and it was the only one in the 30+ Ford-only yards I visited. I took a bunch of tools with me to remove the mirror assembly and the complete wiring harness, but the yards here do not let you remove anything off their vehicles. They either remove the stuff and keep them on a shelf, or remove them for you off the host vehicle.

So I politely and nicely asked the guy to remove the mirror off the button gently and to also remove the complete wiring harness that goes across the headliner and down the A pillar. But being the uncivilized lunatics that they are, he takes a great big sledgehammer and bashes the button from the front of the vehicle. The mirror fell down and was literally hanging off the wiring harness it is attached to. Next, he cuts off the connector off the harness that I wanted and hands it to me with glass all over the mirror button.

I was pretty mad, considering that was the only mirror I found and had doubts as to whether or not it would work. So I asked a gentleman who was there if I could test the mirror on his 2003 Grand Marquis. Luckily he agreed, and the mirror was working properly (dimming when it senses light).

Apart from the fact that I'm on the lookout for an undamaged wiring harness, I need to remove the button off this mirror. I just want to remove my day/night mirror and install this on the button that's already on my windshield. Does anyone have any ideas as to how this can be done? Thanks!

When I upgraded the mirror on my G8 it was simply a matter of loosening the Torx bit screw that locks the mirror mount to the tab that’s fused to the windshield and unplugging the wiring harness. It took about 1 minute. I don’t know about Fords but I assume most mirrors mount in a similar fashion - check for a small screw that attaches the mirror to the windshield tab (possibly behind a cover that must be pried off first).

Instructions apply to a 2001 Marquis so they may still apply to 2004.

Mirror — Interior Rear View

Removal

1. Disconnect the connector.

2. Insert a small screwdriver into the slot at the base of the interior rear view mirror. Hold the interior rear view mirror and pull the screwdriver rearward until the interior rear view mirror snaps away from the interior rear view bracket.

Installation

1. Firmly slide the interior rear view mirror onto the interior rear view mirror bracket until it engages.

2. Connect the connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back