Ferrari F430 using Motul 300V 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: F430
The car has a dry sump system and to check oil, the car has to be at operating temp with car idling. I usually check the level after drive. The dip stick on the F430 is flat & wide and foams are visible on the stick when checking oil level. Referring to my owner's manual, ALL of the lubrications (trans, F1, power steering, diff, ect) recommended for the car are ALL Shell products including coolants and brake fluids.

As I said before, it's normal for the oil tank in dry sump systems to have bubbles. It's impossible for them to not have bubbles. The dipstick measures the oil level in the oil tank.

It's only a concern if much of the oil tank is foaming heavily and you see a few inches of tiny bubbles on the dipstick. The return hose is at the bottom of the oil tank so having some bubbles at the top isn't harmful.

One main difference with Motul 300V 5W-40 (HTHS vis 4.19cP) is that it is much heavier than the Ferrari spec' Shell oil.
If you're going to try 300V I'd recommend their 5W-30 which has virtually the identical operational viscosities to the Shell 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: marco246
As I am unable to get either of these oils here on my island, I've fallen back on the tried and true Shell Rotella T6 for my older Ferrari. No issues.

Cue the Magnum P.I. theme song.
lol.gif

J/K, I bet you get that A LOT (and are quite tired of it as well)?

Originally Posted By: m6pwr
Actually I know a tribilogist who seems familiar with the formulations of various oils and who thinks that when it comes to ester-based lubes that Fuchs Silkolene Pro S 5w40 is the best; puts even Motul and Redline in the shade, and it carries some OEM approvals.

Does the automotive version have a stout add pack (with soluble moly and the like)??

I was actually trying to source this product here in the states a while back, and if I remember correctly, there was actually one distributor at that time, I think it was Essex Racing (I guess they gave up on it, due to TOTAL lack of demand).
frown.gif

I'm going to be the first one to go off topic and say. Please post a photo of your car. You can blur the plates if you'd like. I just want to drool.
smile.gif

I trust you mean outrageously good!
That hasn't always been the case but in the snack bracket these high end cars are sold into today anything less than absolute total perfection is unaceptable.
These cars are for many "rolling art".

Actually it's not that hard, if you stick with the recommended oil. They have done the work.

The base oil composition of an oil is largely of academic interest. It's the oil's performance that counts and therefore drawing any positive or negative conclusions from it's chemistry won't get you far.

Trying to find a better oil the spec' under all conditions; now that's hard.

While I doubt that Ferrari would recommend an oil that wasn't up to the task of lubricating their cars, I am a little entertained at some of the earlier responses in this thread that strongly defended Ferrari. I'm not saying that they were wrong, it was just interesting to note that I've never seen anyone defend the relationship with Mobil 1 and Corvette quite this much. I'd guess that Chevrolet stands to loose just as much money through engine failures as Ferrari would. The volume of Chevrolet would more than make up the difference in individual cost.

Ducati specifies Shell Advance Ultra 4 10W-40 for its engines, and I can see the foaming through the sight glass. Ducati claims this is normal because of the aeration inside the engine. Lots of Ducati owners are running Delvac 15W-40, Mobil 1 15W-50, and Shell Rotella 15W-40 / 5W-40 with great success in that particular engine.

For your F430, I agree with the safe route: use whatever the OEM recommends in the manual (weight/viscosity and specifications) or use what other F430 owners have used with great success.

Engines don't seem to be too special these days, even in the exotic high performance designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back