Briggs and stratton professional series engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted about these long ago or maybe somebody else did. I cant remember. Its been a good while now and does anybody have the verdict? I have owned just low end briggs, Intecks, and I have a Vanguard. I also have a Kohler K series. Im also familiar with Kawi's as a friend has one on a zero turn.

Nobody seems to know much about these new engines. I called my dealer and he could not pinpoint anything specific. They want to ask for a Vanguard price but are they really that good?? I told him I had serious doubts. I need a bigger mower and lke the Simplicity line for many reasons but their engines are not one of them these days. Its holding me back. I think I will hold on to the smaller mower that is too small and just run it.

Im curious if any BITOG members have any experience with these engines? SCag uses them, Simplicity does, and IM sure other big name players do as well. Im just afraid for the time being and any feed back would be great. Im not going to be the test pilot.

I don't, but feel like giving my 2 cents anyway, lol. B&S is my brand, but I think they have fallen short in recent years.

I mostly have older B&S side valve rigs which is where my brand loyalty was built. But I think Honda and Kohler are some serious competition. I know next time I'm in the market for a high quality/good parts support OPE engine B&S isn't the only ones I'll be looking at.

The Briggs Professional Series is basically their prior Extended Life Series, which is a Intek with better bearings and such, a higher end consumer engine, same as Kohler Courage. The Briggs Vanguard is a true commercial engine. I would list the Vanguard right up there with the Kohler Commands and Kawasaki.

The Briggs Professional Series is usually on models designed for homeowner use, not true commercial equipment. For most homeowners, they work fine. In my opinion, I would spend the money and get a Vanguard, Command or Kawasaki. The average homeowner will never wear one out in their lifetime, when maintained.

Also, the Scag (Freedom Z) with the Briggs professional Series does not have grease-able, heavy duty spindles. They are sealed units, and look rather small compared to the normal Scag spindle. I would step up to the Tiger Cat.

Let's not forget that Briggs owns Simplicity. Therefore, you should expect a B&S engine on it. Vanguard engines are built in Japan and are top notch.

People buying OPE for non-commercial use need not worry about their engine regardless of manufacturer (even Chondas) if they're anywhere near maintained.

Not sure if I'd be willing to pay a premium for a B&S "Pro Series" engine for home owner use. If the engine is coming with a considerably higher price tag, I'd be looking for something like a Vanguard, Kawasaki, Robin Subaru or Honda GX engine in it.

Thanks for the opinions. It seems this is NO Vanguard. Mine has been flawless. The inteck we have has bured oil since day one and still does. Its strong at 300 plus hours but its an oil burner and always has been. Im honestly more impressed with the low end briggs for the dollar. I guess as much as I like Simplicity they are going to lose a sale. I hate to see good companies cheap out on stuff. They know better and that is what got them to where they are. It breakes my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back