Mobil1 15w-50, 1996 Dodge Viper GTS, AL V-10, 2258 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I correct in saying that my Viper engine doesn't mind the thicker oil?

Last run was 15w-50 Mobil 1 super syn with Fram paper air filter and Mobil 1 oil filter. Prior was same except for OEM air filter and first analysis was K&N air, Mobil 1 oil filter and Mobil 1 10W-30 oil.

Next up is 5W-40 Delvac 1, Fram air and K&N oil filter.

Appreciate comments.... Thanks

Note: Car is stored for winter so is never started below 45 degrees.
 -

[ October 03, 2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Ron-Indy ]

Good results, but at 2,000 mile intervals any oil would do. Your iron number is slightly higher than the universal average, and that average is probably at more than 2,000 miles. The fact that the car sets so much may account for the slightly higher numbers.

I know synthetic oil is recommended, but what viscosity and what oil change interval does the owner's manual recommend?

quote:

Originally posted by Ron-Indy:
Am I correct in saying that my Viper engine doesn't mind the thicker oil?

[ October 03, 2003, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: CJH ]

CJH;

Factory fill is 10W-30 Mobil 1 and is recommended down to zero. Below zero and up to 32 degrees, 5W-30. No recommendations beyond that, though the track version of the car (same engine, but no cats and slightly different cam) is factory filled with 15W-50 Mobil 1.

I change the oil annually regardless of mileage, so yes finanacially a waste, but peace of mind.

Thanks...

Lead wear is excellent, so this viscosity seems suited for this engine. Iron is probably almost all from corrosion, from this car not being a daily driver and from sitting so long between being driven.

By the way, I saw a rare steel grey GTS the other day with a cool licence plate:

F8L BITE

[ October 04, 2003, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Next up is 5W-40 Delvac 1, Fram air and K&N oil filter.

Ron, I think Delvac 1 is an excellent choice. Its shear stable and should be a great match for this engine. I would go further though then 2k miles or is that all you put on it in a year?
Also, Delvac 1 specifically states that it is good at fighting corosion, something M1 might not be as good at. Being you dont run the car often, this is another reason D1 is a great choice. Notice the ZDDP levels are higher in the 15W-50.

[ October 04, 2003, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Yep, you would be correct in saying the engine doesn't mind the thicker oil in terms of engine wear, but at the same time, it didn't make a significant difference in wear either.

That being said, the thicker oil likely means lower fuel economy (not that it matters in a car like this) and a bit of hp loss created by the heavier oil.

Good luck with the Delvac 1 - will beinteresting to see if there is any difference.
dunno.gif

What about the aluminum number? Blackstone mentioned that it seemed a bit high, though consistant. Engine has iron cylinder liners but the cam rides in the aluminum block directly (no bearings) like a motorcycle. Is 6 ppm decent?

Patman,

You're right steel grey is a rare color. Quite nice too. Last year I went to the Viper Owners Invitational, where about 1,800 Viper owners get together with Dodge once every two years. Probably 8 in 10 Vipers have personalized plates and the creativity displayed in that parking lot was amazing, though I personally prefer a more difficult plate to remember....

Buster,

All I run is 2,000 miles or so a year so that's all the mileage my oil (in this car) will ever see. Blackstome Labs said that the average Viper UOA is done at 1,400 miles!

MNGopher,

You are correct on the mileage. I can get 8 or 22... all depends on what gear I'm in for that tank. 3.07 rear gears with a .50 6th gear help any car get great mpg, though the avg for me is about 11.

I dyno'd 435 RWHP with the 15w-50 and plan on another dyno run in a few weeks with the Delvac 1, so we'll see, though I doubt the accuracy (and repeatability) of the dyno is sufficient to demostrate a viscosity change. Plus I'm doing a few other tweaks at the time, so will probably remain an unknown.

Thanks guys for the comments....

[ October 04, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Ron-Indy ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ron-Indy:
What about the aluminum number? Blackstone mentioned that it seemed a bit high, though consistant.

You got some good information here. I also agree with the Delvac shoice. 15W-50 is too thick. You could do a 50/50 mix with 15W-50 and 10W-30. That way you would have some moly (which Delvac doesn't have).

As far as the aluminum-you have the oil in such a short time that it's difficult to gauge the value. That aluminum translates to 3 ppm/1000 miles-which is very high. You should check your intake/air filter for leaks.
smile.gif

Thanks Al. I'm digging up some other Viper owners analysis for comparision. Too late to mix Mobil 1's as the Delvac is in already. Looking forward to the result!

On the intake, all is tight and sealed. New Fram paper airfilters with foam glued to the fronts (by Fram and just like OEM) Not a lot of selection as only Fram, OEM and K&N's are available in my size.

Twice the dealer had to removed my transmisson, which pitched the engine back and pulled the intake tubes off of the airfilter housing. After reinstallation of the transmission, he never reattached them and I drove about 100 miles both times before checking. Don't know if that's a contributing factor, but I finally have it in my head to check them after each service visit.

Thanks for your comments...

[ October 05, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Ron-Indy ]

Gotta love a car with that much HP! Probably never really notice any real hp decrease with that much on tap verus a little four banger struggling to put out 100 hp at the flywheel.
smile.gif

Either way, nice ride!

MNgopher,

It's funny how much money some guys put into Viper HP improvements with so little result.

Headers are minimum $1,800 for this car. 3" exhaust, another $1,300, High flow cats, $500. Bigger throttle bodies $800+. "Typical" result is less than 15HP. Perhaps it's mismatching or the computer can't take advantage of the higher flow, or most likely it flows pretty well stock already. Did watch a 662 RWHP Supra on the dyno this past Saturday. Pretty amazing how strong the bottom ends are on those cars.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
You got some good information here. I also agree with the Delvac shoice. 15W-50 is too thick. You could do a 50/50 mix with 15W-50 and 10W-30. That way you would have some moly (which Delvac doesn't have).

What about using some Schaeffers #132 with the Delvac instead of M1? He can do that anytime too, not just when he changes oil...

[ October 06, 2003, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back