Post your latest small engine oil change

Switched to G-oil Bio Synthetic SAE 30 in the Troy-Bilt.

I put the very clean used QS syn from the Troy-Bilt in the old Murray.

It takes 20oz so I bought the 48 oz container. The smaller container only holds 18oz. I got enough for another oil change plus enough to top off my side discharge '96 Murray 3.5 B&S.

Toro Recycler with Briggs engine:
Mobil 1 10w40 High Mileage

40+ year old Briggs walk behind edger the same
Mobil 1 10w40 High Mileage

Funny the stuff is rated SL, must be a little old.
I chose this because some of the seals on the edger are leaky and 1 quart is enough to do both the edger and mower.

2009 LA 105 Deere 19.5 Briggs- 10W30 Valvoline 51056 Wix
2009 Troy Bilt Push 6.75 Briggs- Valvoline 30WT

Craftsman riding mower, Rotella T6. The engine has almost 30 hours now, ff was changed at 5 hours with Rotella T1 30w. I was able to save a small fortune by using the purolator filter over the B&S, $3.95 vs $14.99

filtersh.jpg

filterinstalled.jpg

rotellamower.jpg

Son's Craftsman YS4500 42 inch lawn tractor with a Briggs & Stratton 22HP engine:

61oz of Pennzoil SAE 30
3oz of MMO
Craftsman oil filter

Changed fuel filter, air filters, spark plugs (2) also.

gravely pro 50in walk behind

out: who knows? it was pure sludge. i actually had to fill the crankcase with gas to thin it out enough to drain.

in: Quakerstate torque power 10/30 from a sale at autozone. ran for a couple hours and changed again just to make sure all the goop was out.

changed the air and fuel filter as well as plugs and rebuilt the carb. added half a bottle gumout regaine to the tank to clean out some carbon.

results: one mower pulled out of the grave and brought back to life

Changed the oil in my Grasshopper today...5w40 Schaeffer and a Purolator filter...this is the second OCI/FCI I've done in ten hours of use to flush out the previous (unknown) fill.

Just installed new tires today too...

I also cut the filter open, it was clean except for a real faint outline where I had magnets installed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: electrolover
gravely pro 50in walk behind

out: who knows? it was pure sludge. i actually had to fill the crankcase with gas to thin it out enough to drain.

in: Quakerstate torque power 10/30 from a sale at autozone. ran for a couple hours and changed again just to make sure all the goop was out.

changed the air and fuel filter as well as plugs and rebuilt the carb. added half a bottle gumout regaine to the tank to clean out some carbon.

results: one mower pulled out of the grave and brought back to life

^Well done.

Did changes on five things this weekend. Pennzoil 10w30 in the 17hp lawn tractor at the cabin, Pennzoil HD30 in the Briggs Classic powered lawnmower at the cabin, Mobil Clean 5000 10w30 into the power washer with the Honda GC190, Pennzoil HD30 into the Briggs powered Toro Super Recycler, and Pennzoil 5w30 into the 9hp Tecumseh on the snowblower before I put it away for the summer...

The 3.5 briggs on my rotor tiller got topped up with Rotella T 0W40. Its what was open on my shelf at the time. I also topped up the gearbox with some ultramar 80W90 gear oil.
I had stored it this winter tipped forward so oil had gradually seeped out and into the cylinder. The first few pulls had oil running out of the exhaust, but after a few more pulls it started up and burned out the extra oil in 30 seconds. Tough little motor!

Tecumseh HMSK80, 26 oz Mobil Clean 5000 5w20. Put away for summer. Zero oil usage last winter.

Honda GX25 on a new FG110 mini-tiller, 3 oz Mobil Clean 5000 10w30. Changed after first tank of fuel, oil was silver colored already.

Haven't been using the lawn tractor this year, but it got fired up yesterday.

Deere 115 tractor B&S 19hp
Supertech 10w30/10w40 mix
Supertech ST3614 filter

Back