Wagner ceramic pads vs. Honda OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is better as far as braking power and longevity? They're about the same price and my OEM from 2002 made it to past 100k miles.

Thanks.

I had a negative experience with Wagner ceramic aftermarket replacements on my Chrysler van. And a few months ago, I put new OEM brake linings on my Acura MDX (front and rear) with about 60,000 miles. None of them really needed it that bad, but we just bought the vehicle so I figured I'd "top" everything up. I highly recommend the OEM pads.

I've had negative experiences with most aftermarket parts. The AZ pads aren't bad. Stick with OEM in most cases.

I didn't really like the brakes in my 01 Accord, but I have the Wagner ThermoQuiets on my 06 and they aren't much better than OEM on the 06 were. I guess if they were the same price and you liked the feel and power of them I'd go OEM, which I can't even believe I'm saying about a Honda brake pad. But it's probably a wash. My 01 had a lot of brown dust and average modulation but no noise.

Really, I'd spring for Akebono's, which I'll do from now on. Far and away the best pads I've used on that Accord and an 03 Civic. The ProACT has a lifetime similar to OEM with less dust and better modulation. Probably not the same price, though.

One last thought, I think my OEMs went 70,000 miles on my 01 accord. If you're getting 100,000 miles is longevity really a concern? The way they salt roads here I'd be pulling everything apart at 150~175,000 either way if for no other reason than to lube the slide pins.

The Thermoquiets seem hard to me. Ate the rotors after 25k on our Vibe. Had Akebonos on for fifteen thousand miles and have been very happy with them. Go OEM or a better quality aftermarket (Akebono, Hawk).

I think the Akebono's from Tire Rack are outstanding; I replaced the front rotors with new Brembo's at the same time. No dust, no noise and no vibration. I am sure various performance pads will stop shorter, but I am not racing and I don't want brake dust.

I have done over 100 brake jobs and have only used OEM pads once. I presume you are talking about your Accord... Honda had a problem with brake squeel on the fronts of some late model Odyssee's and also the rear of some accords. I fixed the squeeling Odyssee with Wagner Ceramic Thermo Quiets. the owner has been thrilled.

Personally I REALLY like the Akebono's but they are a little pricey - although not much more than the the Wagners...

I would wager that most OEM's do not manufacture their own pads.... Akebono claims to be OEM for a few manufacturers... did I mention that I really like them?

I would go with oem or akebonos. I recently had a 2007 honda civic come in for a brake job. And I ordered a set of wagners and akebonos. The akebonos had a lot more pad on them, huge difference. Went with akebonos.
But I've used wagners on a couple of customers cars and they were fine.

Last edited:
I have Bendix CT3 Ceramic pad on S2000, the OEM lasted only 32k miles and a lot of dust. The Bendix CT3 stopping power is as good as OEM with very little dust.

Of the aftermarket pads I have installed, the problems I encountered were that the pads did not have the same initial bite that the OEM pads did. It seemed like the aftermarket pads were tailored towards long life and low dust, and sacrificed the "bite" as a result.

Originally Posted By: buster
I've had negative experiences with most aftermarket parts. The AZ pads aren't bad. Stick with OEM in most cases.

If you like dust, then yes, go with AZ pads. Had them on the focus, rims were black within weeks and did not last that long.

Every car is different, best thing you can do is try the pads for yourself. If they work great, then go for it. If they do not try a different brand or OEM. If you can get OEM for the same price, then it is worth a try. Depending on how long they lasted, you can shop different stores for different options aswell. Another option is checking a forum that is specific to your vehicle. Ask them, most likely if the forum is not full of ethugs, they will give you a good answer.

On all my Hondas, don't laugh, I've used the Autozone brand, I think it's duralast. Not the lowest line, but the ones with the life time guarantee. They are quiet, no dust and I've had absolutely no problems with them at all. Plus, I like the idea that they keep all that info in their system so all you got to do is show up and tell them the pads are wore out, and they give you another set with no questions asked.

Same here, I put Autozone's Duralast pads on our cars. They have decent price, very low dust, quiet and unbeatable warranty!

Last edited:
I put ther ThermoQuiets on the front of the 05 Accord after I pulled the originals at 141K. Ran them about 150 miles till I tore them off in disgust. I felt like they had NO bite at all .My son will be using them for target practice. Replaced with Duralast ceramics-have worked out well, but not as good as OEM

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
On all my Hondas, don't laugh, I've used the Autozone brand, I think it's duralast. Not the lowest line, but the ones with the life time guarantee. They are quiet, no dust and I've had absolutely no problems with them at all. Plus, I like the idea that they keep all that info in their system so all you got to do is show up and tell them the pads are wore out, and they give you another set with no questions asked.

Paying $65 for a new set of pads every few years is a very small expense if it allows you to get the optimal braking performance. Heck, $65 won't even buy a full tank of gas for your Accord in my area!

On my focus I've tried the OEMs, Mintex A/F, and Morse Ceramics. Out of all three, the Morse pads are by FAR the longest lasting. Braking feel is on par with OEM, with a little less initial bite then the Mintex pads. The Morse pads had a VERY long break in period...I do remember being extremely disappointed for the first couple hundred miles, as they lacked any kind of bite (or pedal feel) during the break in period. But once they were broken in, I was pleased with them...and let me tell you, they are definately LOW dust pads. Stock pads had my wheels black in no time...Mintex pads were even worse.

The Morse pads are harder on rotors then the Mintex pads were, however Focus rotors are very thin to begin with and are definitely replacement items every brake job (they are inexpensive). That said, the morse pads have been on these rotors for probably 60k miles...and these rotors were first paired with the mintex pads for 25k or so (stock pads and rotors were replaced at 14k...ya, that bad). I'll be replacing the pads and rotors probobly in another 15k or so, but it will have to be something else as the Morse pads are no longer stocked by Autozone. Pity, as this set only cost me $20 to start with (closeout prices). Best $20 set of brake pads I have ever seen or used.

I only changed out the pads on the 02 Accord once with Autozone. They just seem to work well and can't really tell a difference from OEM to the duralast. Same goes for my truck.

OP here.

I decided to run with OEM and got them installed by a guy I know. Just let say the work was done right but the labor was outrageous. In this economy, people have managed to scam for more money for less work and killing their chance of repeat work. I won't go going back anymore if I can help it.

The OEM pads lasted over 100k, roughly 118k miles to be exact. The funny thing is that the front and rear last about the same time, with the front changed out about 10k miles ago. The OEM stuffs cost the same as Wagner pads once the expensive hardware kit is purchased. The good thing is that I won't have to worry about this for another 100k miles. I should have gotten OEM for the front though but I didn't and that was about 6 months ago. I can tell it is harder on the rotor. I didn't replace the rear rotors and got them resurface instead. The next time, I'll get OEM rotors as well for front and rear. Honda OEM parts seem to be very good.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
OP here.

I decided to run with OEM and got them installed by a guy I know. Just let say the work was done right but the labor was outrageous. In this economy, people have managed to scam for more money for less work and killing their chance of repeat work. I won't go going back anymore if I can help it.

Changing brake pads is about as easy as it gets.
33.gif

Instead of complaining about someone's labor rate, why didn't you just do it you yourself? There's tons of resources out there for information.

And if you don't know how to do the job, what makes you think the "job was done right?"
confused.gif

Last edited:
I also want to know what is his idea of "outrageous". I presume he is talking about rear brakes. On some cars, they are little less easier than the front. Anywhere under $100 in DC metro area should not be considered "outrageous" when somebody comes to your house and does it for you.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back