Motorizing bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the legality of them is a problem. A couple days ago I saw/heard one doing about 40mph on the street. I imagine no cop would let that go, so I think that guys days are numbered...

Originally Posted By: RnR
Hmmm. I'm getting interested in something along the line of what's shown in this video (at liveleak). Has anyone tried a conversion like this (200 MPG sounds rather enticing)?

Success / Fail?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fd8_1233528135

Yes check your local laws. Very doable I've been at it for 4+ years now.

www.sickbikeparts.com

Some areas have 49cc rules. Some have 20 or 30 mph speed rules, but always within the posted speed limit.

You will never get the bragged on 200 mpg, but 100 mpg is very doable, unless you get way too happy with the throttle. Frankly I don't like rack mounts like video, although some are very reliable . Racks are for your stuff, not your engine. Frame mounts are best balance, best use of space. I run a two stroke, shifter kit with an expansion chamber but it's got a silencer and muffler....I've rode right by cops at 30 mph, they didn't even look up. Top speed is a little over 40 mph which is very scary on a motorized bike, IMHO.

Anyway, I agree - electrics are cool, but range can be an issue. And batteries are still expensive. Some are wicked fast though - and silent!

Put this together this time back in 2008, inspired by Pablo. The two stroke kit has the best power to displacement ratio, if your laws limit you to 49 cc. Mine hits its power/sound sweet spot at a slightly illegal 22 mph and will pull a hill where you need granny gears pedalling, or downshifting a 4 cyl car, with its slightly illegal 67 cc.
lol.gif

I was just on mine today after parking it all winter. Had to drop my truck off at the mechanics for a state inspection sticker so I threw it in the back and rode it home. It's more fun than it looks, and it looks fun. Upgrade your brakes!

I've had jerks honk at me when I ride on the shoulder; they assume motorized bikes are illegal when they aren't here. I don't see how honking helps anything, it's not like I can harm them in their steel cages or even catch up to them. Get very positive feedback from others I bump into at the gas station though. Have only seen one or two others around here.

Yep... here in Mich. we've got the 49cc limit and I guess the powers that be want all the illumination options implemented too. That means turn, brake and headlight. Heck, how do you power all that [censored] off a two-cycle without hosting a gory wiring mess?

Electric? Well... if I could somehow keep the battery costs down - it's possible. But they're getting expensive too - especially if replacement is eventually needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back