When does your manual say to check oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that on my mom's 2008 2.7l V6 Sebring that the manual says to check the oil 5 minutes after it has been shut off, but never to check it when it is completely cold. I've always been taught that oil checks when cold were the most reliable. I've searched to see if there is any formal conclusion or if this is a trend lately but haven't come up with much RECENT information.

What does your manual say?

Mine say every time you get gas. Presumably, it only takes seconds to drip down enough for an accurate reading.

I ignore the advice and do a cold overnight towel-less check. Matches the result of the gas station method with less mess.

I've had a few oil filters where the anti drainvalve didn't hold very well. Checking the oil level the next day after it had run always showed the engine as overfilled by about 1/2 quart.
In that case 5-10 minutes after shut off would be a more accurate level.

Strange we still have new cars that are oil burners.
Would not an idiot light suffice?
To me, using a Dip stick seems a bit archaic.
Personally I would not keep a car that required more than a Liter top-up before it's scheduled OCI

Mazda says 5+ minutes after shutting off a hot engine. Checking cold can be misleading as oil in the filter and galleys can leak into the oil pan and the reading will then be higher than it really is.

Honestly, I don't know what my manual recommends. I just check it along with the other fluid levels every Sunday morning (checked cold, I "eyeball" the tires for pressure, too). I keep the oil between 1/2 and full on the dipstick. When the oil level drops below 1/2, I add a 1/2 quart. The recommended oil level in an engine is a range, and I'm keeping it within that range, particularly, I'm keeping it within an area of the range where I want it to be.

Experience has taught me that more important than the technique of checking the oil is the regularity of checking the oil. If the oil level is not checked regularly, it can slip, unnoticed, out of the operating range. Personally, I like Sunday mornings, early, it's quiet, I can check things at my leisure. It's also an excellent time to check and set tire pressures. Tire pressure definitely check cold, even before the sun has a chance to warm the tires and throw the pressure measurement.

Sorry I didn't answer what was in my car manual.
Sometimes, you gotta write your own book.

We must be related - except I do all the aforementioned things on Sat. morning.
smile.gif
(And I was born in western P.A.)

On long trips I have checked my oil while at a gas station or at a road side rest and have never seen a different reading over checking it cold in the morning - or at least not a significant difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: "2001 Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Manual"
CHECKING ENGINE OIL LEVEL
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply the parking brake.
2. Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature.
3. Turn off the engine. Wait more than 10 minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean. Reinsert it all the way.
5. Remove the dipstick again and check the oil level. It should be between the H and L marks. If the oil level is below the L mark, remove the oil filler cap and pour recommended oil through the opening. Do not overfill.
6. Recheck oil level with dipstick. It is normal to add some oil between oil changes or during the break-in period, depending on the severity of operating conditions.
CAUTION
Oil level should be checked regularly. Operating with insufficient amount of oil can damage the engine, and such damage is not covered by warranty.

The owners manual suggests the oil is checked every time you fuel the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: 2003 Mazda Protege Owners Manual

The owner or a qualified service technician should make hese vehicle inspections at the indicated intervals to ensure safe and dependable operation. Bring any problem to the attention of an Authorized Mazda Dealer or qualified service technician as soon as possible.

When Refueling
• Brake and clutch fluid level (page 8-18)
• Engine coolant level (page 8-16)
• Engine oil level (page 8-13)
• Washer fluid level (page 8-22)
At Least Monthly
• Tire inflation pressures (page 8-29)
At Least Twice a Year (For Example, Every Spring and Fall)
• Automatic transaxle fluid level (page 8-20)
• Power steering fluid level (page 8-20)
You can do the following scheduled maintenance items if you have some mechanical ability and a few basic tools and if you closely follow the directions in this manual.
• Air filter (page 8-23)
• Engine coolant (page 8-16)
• Engine oil (page 8-14)

Originally Posted By: 2003 Mazda Protege Owners Manual

Inspecting Engine Oil Level
1. Be sure the vehicle is on a level surface.
2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
3. Turn it off and wait 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan.
4. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, and reinsert it fully.
5. Pull it out again and examine the level. It’s OK between L and F. But if it’s near at or below L, add enough oil to bring the level to F.
6. Make sure the O-ring is positioned properly before reinserting the dipstick.

The distance between L and F on the dipstick represents the following: L (US qt, Imp qt) 1.0 (1.05, 0.87)

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
My owner's manual says to check every fillup and when the engine is warmed up.

The only problem, the dipstick is just useless, the oil just smears all over it. So I check the oil level with a cold engine.

To overcome the oil smear on the dipstick problem you can drill a few small holes in the dipstick (low, mid, full). The only thing is, you need to use a special drill for hard materials, the dipstick is usually a pretty springy steel.

Originally Posted By: expat
I guess they want to allow for expansion?

I was under the impression that motor oil doesn't expand, ATF does but motor oil does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back