Question about Ethanol & additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, is there a place to find ethanol-free gas stations still? Secondly, are there additives that we can purchase to help counter-act the negative effects of Ethanol? I always notice a bottle of Heet (methanol, correct??) makes my old BMW almost universally run better, no matter what grade of fuel I put in the tank.

Lucas also makes a product for Ethanol added fuels.

Several states do not require pumps being marked if the fuel contains Ethanol or not.

Only way is a test kit and test every time you fill the tank.

Yes, and yes.
And searching will yield better answers than what I can give you.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Only way is a test kit and test every time you fill the tank.
And then what....? You test for ethanol in your tank, then go in and ask the convenience store clerk for a refund and a tank-dump because your tank contains ethanol laced fuel?
smile.gif

But yea, there are quite a few products around "specifically" marketed for ethanol. Sta-bil has a "Marine Formula" that I've heard works, though it's like $9 for a small (3? Maybe 5 oz...max...) bottle, in the typical "Sta-Bil"-esque bottle
smile.gif

Then they got this new "orange-ish" stuff, that comes in about a 10 oz. bottle, and resembles more of a typical Fuel Injector Cleaner bottle, and I think if I recall, it treats "up to" 20 gallons or so....and it's like $7 and some change.

and then there's "Startron" - a dude has been in my local walmart all riled up about this stuff, claims to be a big mechanic, and he's turned all his customers onto the product, comes in a small bottle, for like $19 LOL.....claims to treat 119 gallons of fuel PER BOTTLE....so you don't use much. I was reading the directions on the bottle, and apparantly the first dose you're supposed to do like a "shock treatment" - throw the whole bottle in, then all sub-sequent fill ups, follow the directions as normal.

Walmart carries the product over in the Sporting Goods department.

I won't pay that much for a gas additive though, what I've found works great in my 88 Dodge Aries 2.2L is 5.25oz. of MMO every fill up. I basically re-use an old Lucas UCL bottle, refill it up at home after every fill up
smile.gif
For my little ~14 gallon tank, 5.25 oz. is "just about" the right concentration for that 4 oz. per 10 gallons recommendation that Marvel/Turtle Wax state on the bottle...sometimes I may forget, so I'll add it every other fill up, which can't hurt, cause at 4 oz. per 10 gallons, I'm adding 5.25 oz, that's actually a little over a 15 gallon treatment, my tank is ~14 gallons supposidely, but I generally only fill up ~12-13 gallons.....haven't tried taking it any lower yet :p

TC-W3 for me. The little bottles of blue magic work at each fill up. I just add 1 ounce per 4-5 Gallons of Gasoline. I usually fill up with 12-14 Gallons so I use 3 ounces of Pennzoil Marine Synthetic Blend TC-W3 and 3 ounces of Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner. I premix a batch in an empty MMO bottle with a pint of TC-W3 and a pint of Chevron Techron FS cleaner. I pre fill empty Gumout Regane Concentrate 6 ounce bottles with the mix and take the filled 6 oz bottles with me. I leave the filling jugs behind in the garage for the next round of filling up the 6 ounce bottle.

I'm in Orlando, FL now and used the mix at each fill up.....just empty a 6 ounce bottle in the gas tank and fill with gas. TC-W3 is a great UCL and also lubes the fuel pump and the whole fuel system. Great in the Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.

Last edited:
I use this site - http://pure-gas.org/
You choose your state, choose your city, and the station listings are there (if any). You can read notes left by people, add station updates, I'm sure there are some others out there but this site works for me and the areas I travel in. I loaded a bunch in my GPS, and when I have to drive long distance I print myself a list. I don't know about others but my Tacoma gets about 2-3 mpg more when using ethanol free gas.

i been using ethanol free gas...we have a conoco station that sells it..labeled on the pump etahnol free premium,6% ethanol for 87 oct and 10% ethanol 85 oct...my cars drive completely different and alot better gas mileage...

Last edited:
i like marvel mystery oil, i have nothing against Stabil. if you buy a one gal jug dont let it get cold in the winter it will crack. put the mmo in a one gal w/mart gas can.

i like marvel mystery oil, i have nothing against Stabil. if you buy a one gal jug dont let it get cold in the winter it will crack. put the mmo in a one gal w/mart gas can.

MMO seems to do the trick, start out at 4 oz per 10 gal and work your way back to see what your car likes.

Really? Marvels Mystery Oil helps combat ethanol in fuel? I'm not sure I believe that, lol.

As I asked a few times, but nobody has responded - what about yellow bottle HEET?

Originally Posted By: KenO
Really? Marvels Mystery Oil helps combat ethanol in fuel? I'm not sure I believe that, lol.

As I asked a few times, but nobody has responded - what about yellow bottle HEET?

I think the MMO is effective in protecting the older "non ethanol designed" components in a fuel system. I have no scientific evidence..only my own experince with a 1974 Laverda 3c with Dellorto carbs..a 1986 3.2 Porsche and a 1991 VW vanagon. I give them a regular diet of MMO.

Early on the floats on the Dellorto carbs would "swell" due the the ethanol and bind on the float pins. Flooding fuel was the result. The acceleration pumps have a membrane which would become brittle too. I had the bike since 1975 and know it quite well.

Since using MMO..no more problems. There are quite a few "O" rings and pumper diaphragms which now survive ethanol which MMO seems to protect, long term.

Other older VW-Porsche owners seem to have fuel line issues. The lines seem to degrade quickly with modern fuels.

Knock on wood..I have not experienced that problem.

MMO is cheap insurance.

If by combat ethanol, you mean remove water, then yes, Heet will remove water from the fuel tank because it is primarily methanol. Unless I am mistaken, methanol attracts water just like ethanol, so in the end you would just be adding more water attracting alcohol to your fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back