2008 Yamaha Raider 1900

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a good oil to put in my 2008 Raider I just purchased? It has 5,800 miles on it and currently has yamalube in it from dealer. I will be changing it at 8,000 miles and it will be the 3rd oil change on the bike since new. I plan to change it every 3,000 miles on the dot. Any input is appreciated thanks!!

Well, whatever oil you do use, I'd change it now. If the bike has only had 2 oil changes since new, how old is the current oil?? Assuming it may have had the 'break-in' oil change at 600 miles, and then was ridden a few thousand on the 2nd oil (which I think is crazy), then changed, do you know when? I changed my oil a few times before it hit even 1200 miles. It breaks in for alot longer than 600 miles. The oil gets dirty quick. My 2009 Yamaha has had 4 oil changes in the first 1600 miles. And on the current oil I'll only put maybe 1500 miles on it. As long as you go with a full synthetic you'll be good with 3000 miles changes, after my next change I'm going to do 2000 miles and probably keep that interval. My bike is only a 650 and runs at high rpm's, wears out the oil faster.
Call me crazy to change the oil so frequently but I feel better knowing there is new oil in the motor. Like I said, the oil gets dirty quick during the first few oil changes. Gotta protect your investment and changing the oil is not really expensive in my opinion.

You didn't say if you want to use synthetic or regular oil. Either one will do the job for 3k miles. Cost is the big factor.Some bike shops will rob you for synthetic, while Autozone for instance sells bike oils at fair prices. Mobil 1 v-twin 20/50 or 15/50 synthetic would work good if the bike calls for that weight. Valvoline 20/50 bike oil, or their VRO 20/50 racing oil is a good choice for regular oil.Check out the uoa's to help you form an opinion.,,

I dont know when the first oil change was done. But the oil thats in it now has only been in it for 400 miles and its yahma lube from the dealer they done the service on it before I got it and put on new tires. The bike currently has almost 5,900 miles on it after the ride yesterday. I checked the oil in it looks like its strait out of the bottle new. It calls for 20-40 but everyones using 20-50 and saying the dealers recommending it since 20-40 so hard to find some say. Syn or Reg oil whatever I need to be using. I see some say not to use full syn because of the clutch but I have no idea thats why im here asking you guys. I know I like valvoline oil I run it in all my vehicles and always have. I use maxxlife in my truck and car both. Thanks for all input its greatly appreciated.

Rotella, either type, will work fine in your cycle.
15W-40 or 5W-40.
Long history of use by cycle owners and both are JASO approved.
The 20W-40 being hard to find is common with several brands of cycles. There's no reason why a 15W or even the 5W won't work fine.

The clutch doesn't care if the oil is synthetic or not. The clutch cares if the oil contains certain additives in car oil to reduce friction.

Air cooled engine, right? I'd stick with the 50 wt. in your long hot summers. A motorcycle 20W-50 or motorcycle syn 15W-50 would work great. 5000 miles should be easy for any of these oils.

The Rotella 15w-40 is what I ran in my 750 Honda Shadow I had before and it worked out good for me. So this oil doesn't have all the additives that car oil has that the clutch dislikes. I know this is good oil but just hope its good for this bike. I would like more opinions to on this and appreciate those who have already chimed it. Thanks! Yes this is a air cooled engine.

PS I have a friend at work that puts this oil in everything he has. His vehicles,lawnmowers,four wheelers,ect.

Last edited:
Auto zone has.
Valvoline Motorcycle Oil 20w-50 for $3.99qt
Valvoline Motorcycle Full Synthetic 4T 20w-50 for $8.99qt

Oreilley Automotive has.
Mobil 1 V-Twin full synthetic 20w-50 4T for $7.99qt on sale

Im gonna change it at 3,000 mile intervals.

Give me some opinions on this. Thanks!

If price is not an issue,Mobil 1 M/C 20w50 syn as well as the Amsoil 20w50 syn, would be my top 2 choices of readily available superb overall bike lubes,if not the very best according to all the data I have seen IMO. Of course there is RP and other pricey,hard to find lubes out there as well that may or may not be as good as these two...I run the M1 15/50 syn since I have 5 bikes (4 on Mobil 1) and it cuts my oil cost in half compared to these two very slightly better oils and I change at under 2K intervals....

Last edited:
Advanced has 4 quarts of valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil and filter for $29.99.

I believe this oil is new and I can not find any info on it.

You can substitute the conventional motorcycle oil for $19.99.

I have a 2004 sportster 1200 and use mobil v twin 20w50 and will be using valvoline vr1 20w50 in my next oil change.

Well thanks for all the info guys. Looks like Mobil 1 V-Twin Motorcycle 20w-50 Full Synthentic wins. I will either use a Mobil 1 or K&N oil filter.

I use Amsoil 20-50 mainly because I don't want to have to change my oil more than once a year. The Amsoil is expensive, but I know it's good for the year, regardless of miles. If you're only gonna go 3K per oil change and you think that could mean more than one oil change per year, you may not want to spend the extra dough on synthetic. There are some pretty good dinos out there that'll easily handle 3K...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I use Amsoil 20-50 mainly because I don't want to have to change my oil more than once a year. The Amsoil is expensive, but I know it's good for the year, regardless of miles. If you're only gonna go 3K per oil change and you think that could mean more than one oil change per year, you may not want to spend the extra dough on synthetic. There are some pretty good dinos out there that'll easily handle 3K...

What would you suggest using on 3,000 mile oil change? Sometimes I may only put 3,000 mile on my bike in a year. Depends on if I have to work 6 days a week or not. Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Rotella. Either flavor.

thumbsup2.gif

If ya want a 20W-50 then the Valvoline VR-1 Racing conventional - at four dollars and something a quart would be my choice.

I ran the 15W-40 Rotella in my RoadStar Warrior. I run it in just about all of my bikes and power equipment for the past 20 years or so.

Does your bike have an oil cooler? Mine did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back