Oil for 2011 Scion tC that's not driven much

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2011 Scion tC with a little over 1100 miles on it. I've had it for three months, so as you can see, it doesn't get driven that much. I probably average
I take a lot of short trips (it's driven almost every day) which do not allow the water (let alone the oil) to fully warm up, and several times a month I go on somewhat longer trips where it warms up fully. The engine (2AR-FE 2.5L) requires 0W20 synthetic motor oil, which is fine since I prefer to use synthetics anyway. My plan is to dump the factory oil as soon as I get my hands on the proper tool to remove the filter housing (it uses a cartridge filter), and to use Toyota 0W20 oil and a Toyota filter. Since it comes with two complimentary oil changes, my thinking is that it would be best to use the same oil as the dealer to avoid changing chemistries every 6 months, hopefully keeping wear to a minimum.

I've used Amsoil products in the past but always in cars that were out of their powertrain warranties. Is it a problem to use non-API oils in a car that's under warranty? Do you think changing the oil every 6 months, irrespective of mileage, is a good idea? What are your thoughts on sticking with Toyota oil and filters, at least until the complimentary oil changes have been used?

I have an unrelated appointment with the dealer this Friday at which time I'll check if it's possible to use the free oil changes when I wish and not 12 months apart. Do you have any recommendations on a good oil and filer to use once I've used up the free oil changes, again keeping in mind that my engine requires 0W20?

Last edited:
Hi.

Using a non-API like Amsoil will not hurt your engine, but it will destroy your warranty. Changing the oil every 6 months, with a synthetic in those driving conditions is ok. I personally believe you can go for a year, but you will need to verify what works best for you. Toyota oil + filters are an excellent choice, as is any other API certified oil.

0W-20 was specified mainly for fuel economy, but I'm sure it offers enough protection for most users, so use it. At least until the warranty is finished. If you are still happy with it, continue to use it. I generally recommend a slightly higher viscosity oil than recommended because you can't hurt your engine doing that, but you can always hurt your engine (given the right operating conditions) when using a lower viscosity oil.

Remember, consumer vehicles are used by consumers with longevity in mind. That's why we are always asking about protection. A higher viscosity oil will always provide higher film strength and bond stability at higher temperatures, which can be translated to higher protection at higher temperatures.

However, the engineers at whatever manufacturer has done their homework. But keep in mind, we build everything within a set of guidelines set out for us by the top.

Have fun!

Anything.

Edit: Anything of the correct weight and spec.

So, essentially, just about any 0w/5w-30 that they sell at your local parts store.

Aside from non-detergent oils. That would be, well, terrible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dtt004

Using a non-API like Amsoil will not hurt your engine, but it will destroy your warranty.

That is just not correct. Please if you make such statements, you should back them up with some evidence. Using Amsoil will not "destroy" your warranty. Please.

I had a chat with a Scion representative today through scion.com and asked what oil was required in the new tC. I specifically mentioned API certification and the representative was insistent that the only requirement was that the oil be the proper weight, 0W-20. I'm still skeptical but it makes me think that there would be no ambiguity about using an oil like Amsoil in this engine. I still plan on using Toyota oil until I've gone through the complimentary services though, as it looks like they are strictly given at 12 and 24 months since they are slightly more comprehensive than just oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back