.50 BMG rounds from WWII: Two different bullets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
That 7.62x39 round looks like either a Wolf brand or the surplus Czech ammo that is plentyful in supply right now.

It is the latter. A guy I know bought an entire crate for his Chinese AK47, we went shooting and he gave me a clip of it to keep.

I thought so, I have 2 cases of 1200 rounds of that ammo, haven't shot it yet though to see how well it works.

I have no idea how many rounds he has. He bought an entire crate, how many cases would be in a crate?

The ammo seemed to work well. The gun itself is horribly inaccurate however. Lots of fun to shoot though. His 223 "sniper" rifle was my favourite (except that it liked to jam), as it had a stainless barrel and was very accurate. Don't recall off-hand what it was however. Maybe a Remington?

A pallet you mean? I usually call the box of 1200 rounds a "crate" I hope he cleaned it well after shooting, as that ammo is corrosive primed. AK's aren't the most accurate, but they do the intended job quite well and are fun to shoot.

A pallet you mean? I usually call the box of 1200 rounds a "crate" I hope he cleaned it well after shooting, as that ammo is corrosive primed. AK's aren't the most accurate, but they do the intended job quite well and are fun to shoot.

Maybe that's it? I was thinking pallet when he said crate. I'm pretty sure the number he threw out was a lot higher than 1200 rounds though, so maybe it was a pallet.

Yes, he cleans it well. Corrosive ammo, as you've mentioned.

Gun was indeed a lot of fun. No refinement. But that's part of the fun now isn't it
wink.gif

There are AKs and there are Veprs. A Vepr can put 3 shots at 1/2" group at 100 yards. Factory chrome-lined 19.5" barrel.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
There are AKs and there are Veprs. A Vepr can put 3 shots at 1/2" group at 100 yards. Factory chrome-lined 19.5" barrel.
Yes, that is true. They are very well made, about the best made AK variant you can buy, Id love to get one. Id get one chambered in 5.45x39, as I like the low recoil of that round and the cheap ammo that is available for it.

Yep, receiver is about 50% thicker than a regular AK, bigger front trunnion, barrel is thicker too. 19.5" barrel gives you 200 fps more muzzle velocity than a standard 16.5".
Izmash put Vyatskii Polyani (where Vepr was made) out of business several years ago (2006-ish) Prices on used Veprs quadrupled, at least in US.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Yep, receiver is about 50% thicker than a regular AK, bigger front trunnion, barrel is thicker too. 19.5" barrel gives you 200 fps more muzzle velocity than a standard 16.5".
Izmash put Vyatskii Polyani (where Vepr was made) out of business several years ago (2006-ish) Prices on used Veprs quadrupled, at least in US.
Ah, thats what happened to them, I knew they weren't being made anymore, I just didn't know the reason for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back