k&n air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys , got a 96 tercel 148,000km fully tuned up proper generic parts runs great, a while ago installed a k&n air filter in the box. Much more peppy now but shouldnt I still be gettin my regular gas mileage of 530km to a tank instead of my 480 to a tank. Im not hard on the car rarley go over 110 on highway , i dont jack rabbit it. I know its still alittle cold outside but have any of you noticed a decrease in fuel mileage by using a k&n air filter?? im currently running valvoline 5w30 hm semi in it doesnt burn a drop.I understand you sacrifice fuel mileage for performance but i dont drive her hard at all. I would say 75% highway and 25% street.
new...
plugs
wires
fuel filter
pcv valve
amsoil synthetic fluid

any ideas would be great thanx.

Originally Posted By: menezes
have any of you noticed a decrease in fuel mileage by using a k&n air filter??

Drop-in air filters do not affect mileage: Air Filters and Mileage. Short of putting in a cold air intake, the impact of air filters on performance is negligible. The only effect of your K&N filter - if it is a drop-in- is to increase wear on your engine.

I believe the 96 Tercel is fuel injected. If so, even heavy air filter clogging will not impact mileage. So a mileage drop would have to be caused by something else than the air intake systems:(

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
k&n air filters do not increase wear on your engine old wives tale.

Hi Box Car Tommie - this ongoing series of articles discusses actual air filter data - not unsupported opinions. Over the next few weeks, it will cover multiple ISO 5011 tests, which all show the same results - K&N gives you great air flow (which does not help mileage, and probably does not improve performance either) and poor filtration. Do let me know, at the end of the series, if you still feel the same abt K&N:)

Last edited:
no..i trust k&n more then the other companies. i have an inside source of the endless testing they do. and the proof is in the use of these filters for years. never leave any i mean any fine dust part. like the paper air filters do...have to clean out the throttle body periodically...it is my and respected engineers opinion the quality of filtration k&n products...

so what is the consensus gents? do i go back to the old air filter or keep the k&n with gas prices now at $1.24/litre I want to sqeeze every ounce out of that little car that i can, last time I passed emissions it passed with flying colours what would you guys do IF IT WAS YOUR CAR?

Originally Posted By: menezes
do i go back to the old air filter or keep the k&n with gas prices now at $1.24/litre I want to sqeeze every ounce out of that little car that i can [...] what would you guys do IF IT WAS YOUR CAR?

Menezes - if you read the link above, then you know that, whatever your choice is, your air filter will not alter mileage. Air filters do not impact mileage in fuel injected cars, and they hardly ever do so in carbureted engines (extremely clogged conditions only). It does not matter what filter you use - mileage will be the same.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
no..i trust k&n more then the other companies. i have an inside source of the endless testing they do. and the proof is in the use of these filters for years. never leave any i mean any fine dust part. like the paper air filters do...have to clean out the throttle body periodically...it is my and respected engineers opinion the quality of filtration k&n products...

Dude, there have been so many real substantiated air filter tests done on K&N and other aftermarket filters, and K&N filters let more dirt in. PERIOD. Why do you even keep posting your unsubstantiated opinions??? You clearly have an agenda...

It's nice to see some real brand loyalty.

We are big fans of their oil filters, their air filters not so much.

Just too many strikes against them. No filter of any kind can be a great filter AND flow more. You don't get both.

I'm sure a lot of the K&N bashing is due to user error from improper cleaning and oiling, but c'mon...

There's alot of fearmongering about K&N air filters. People have produced studies with bias and assumptions prior and I find that scholarly in error.

I'm sure that they do allow more debris through than most OEM filters, but how much that affects wear might be up to debate and extremely application and environmentally specific.

I've used K&N filters for hundreds of thousands of miles without issue on all of my vehicles. No damaged MAF sensors, throttle plates, or noticeable engine damage.

There are some points that the last two posters made that can be taken into consideration. IMO, the K&N may contribute to some apps that had Si issues or one's that clearly were an app with a K&N that just didn't work. Some apps, it's okay...just my opinion. FWIW, I'm open to going away from K&N, even after only 2 years for the filter if Si is high consistently on my first couple of UOA.

I've ran K&N's my whole life and just switched to an AMSOIL drop in for the WJ, based on a recommendation from a fellow jeeper, and still have the K&N in my ZJ.
Either motors have MAF sensor's but I can DEFINITELY say that the intake and throttle body get dirty alot quicker with the K&N, normal jeep maintenance requires the cleaning of the IAC valve once a year or so, and the ZJ is ALWAYS filthy compared to the WJ. So common sense would tell one that more dirt is getting into the engine with the K&N and that it could potentially cause damage quicker than the AMSOIL filter (although I have never experienced any).

Originally Posted By: wsar10
I've ran K&N's my whole life and just switched to an AMSOIL drop in for the WJ, based on a recommendation from a fellow jeeper, and still have the K&N in my ZJ.
Either motors have MAF sensor's but I can DEFINITELY say that the intake and throttle body get dirty alot quicker with the K&N, normal jeep maintenance requires the cleaning of the IAC valve once a year or so, and the ZJ is ALWAYS filthy compared to the WJ. So common sense would tell one that more dirt is getting into the engine with the K&N and that it could potentially cause damage quicker than the AMSOIL filter (although I have never experienced any).

^If the above is true for your one app, I'd be more worried with a MAF sensor(that is not taking time to clean it once a year etc) while using a K&N drop-in replacement for what you describe.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Originally Posted By: wsar10

^If the above is true for your one app, I'd be more worried with a MAF sensor(that is not taking time to clean it once a year etc) while using a K&N drop-in replacement for what you describe.

there is no MAF sensor on a ZJ or the WJ for that matter...and even if there was the IAC valve would still be more of a concern

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Just too many strikes against them. No filter of any kind can be a great filter AND flow more. You don't get both.

I'm sure a lot of the K&N bashing is due to user error from improper cleaning and oiling, but c'mon...

+1
K&N just do not pass the eyeball test to me. I don't like an air filter that I can see so much unfiltered light through. But their oil filters OTOH are very good.

Originally Posted By: JDD
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

+1
K&N just do not pass the eyeball test to me. I don't like an air filter that I can see so much unfiltered light through. But their oil filters OTOH are very good.

Because they don't make there own oil filters, champ labs does(Mobil clone). It is a very good oil filter however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back