KYB or Monroe rear struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and trying to decide which ones I should get for my car. I can get both rear struts that are KYB'S thru CARQUEST at my work with discount for 112$ and 70$ springs. I can do the struts at my work also. Havent heard if KYB struts are good, so any advice and help is greatly appreciated.

adam

I have had better luck with KYBs than monroe on multiple cars. I usually go with KYB as oem replacement on my cars. KYB are quality product and build quality is excellent. The ones i have gotten were made in Japan.

Last edited:
I've used both. The KYB's are a little firmer IMO. The Monroe's seemed like an OEM replacement. The Monroe's on the Buick are getting a little tired after 45k miles of bouncing over the moonscape known as the interstates and state roads around me. Free replacement, IIRC.

Thanks and yeah I think that price, and the parts delivered to my work is a good price/deal. Looking online NAPA sells KYB's also. Advance wants like 68.99$ for the gas matic strut, and like 90.99$ for sensa trac strut a piece or each one. 95$ for each spring, so think I will go with the kyb's and springs for like 182$(including tax that is).

thanks again,

adam

Monroe has there buy 3 get 1 free promo going on till the end of May.

I installed Monroe SensaTrac on our old 1998 Civic and was very pleased with the ride and handling of the new struts/ shocks.

Neither, both are cheap for a reason.

I would look into Bilstein, as JHZR2 suggested.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Neither, both are cheap for a reason.

I would look into Bilstein, as JHZR2 suggested.

+2

Also, I replaced the struts on my old Saturn because I was convinced that new struts would stop it from crashing over every bump. After replacement, the KYB struts only made a slight improvement-- hardly a day and night difference.

After 23k on those struts, I was starting to notice wear because the car started feeling less responsive compared to when the struts were new. Of course, with the wear came an improvement in ride quality.
56.gif

KYB

Monroe are rather poor quality, as far as I know. At least compared to Sachs/Boge, Bilstein, Optimal, KYB, Koyo, etc.

Prolly better than Gabriel, still.

I have to dissagree with some on here that KYB's are cheap. KYB's are OEM parts for Most Asian cars. OEM for Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, to name just a few. They are NOT cheap in quality at all.

There are different ones available depending on the vehicle. Monroe's arent terrible, but I would go with the KYB's Great Struts and shocks for the money.

If money isn't an issue, I agree that Bilsteins are better and are also rebuildable. Bilsteins also come with a Lifetime warranty. So if you take that into consideration when you purchase the added price of the Bilsteins will pay for themselves. Most Struts are good for 100K miles or so (depending on driving style and road conditions).

so up to you. But there is nothing wrong with the KYB's but if you can afford Bilsteins then go with them.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I have to dissagree with some on here that KYB's are cheap. KYB's are OEM parts for Most Asian cars. OEM for Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, to name just a few. They are NOT cheap in quality at all.

Jeff

KYB may be an OEM but as with any manufacturer, their OE line and aftermarket lines are completely different. Kestas has explained this in a post. The aftermarket line is usually of a much lower quality and does not go through the same amount of testing.

Tell that to numerous owners of Chrysler made products. They use a lot of KYB product, and have replaced a lot of them under warranty.

In some products, KYB does an excellent job. In others, they suck.

Originally Posted By: maersk
KYB

Monroe are rather poor quality, as far as I know. At least compared to Sachs/Boge, Bilstein, Optimal, KYB, Koyo, etc.

Prolly better than Gabriel, still.

Agreed^^^
happy2.gif

I again dissagree. They do not suck. It makes sense on the chryslers why they fail. My guess on the 300's with people putting those crazy 22" rims on them, haha.

If people put lowering springs, or alter the suspension in any way you are going to have failures. I know ALLOT of guys that drive Chryslers and had strut issues. BUT they had the car lowered and had HUGE HEAVEY rims on the car that contributed to them to go out early. They put the OEM springs back on, OEM rims tires then roll into the dealer wanting them changed. KYB's fault? mmmmm not sure.

For the average Joe, the KYB's are all you need.

Jeff

I wouldn't think the trouble of getting springs off and on struts just to con the dealer is worth the price of new struts. Would the warranty also cover the labour?

And if they cut the old springs to lower the car then they'd have to get new springs as well just so the dealer doesn't raise a stink.

I'd suggest talking or reading/writing with other people that own the same make, model, and same or similar model year who replaced their struts. Find out what they were trying to accomplish with new struts, which brand and type they chose, and if they were satisfied with the outcome. Then use that to help decide what to buy and install on your own vehicle.

Originally Posted By: David S.
I'd suggest talking or reading/writing with other people that own the same make, model, and same or similar model year who replaced their struts. Find out what they were trying to accomplish with new struts, which brand and type they chose, and if they were satisfied with the outcome. Then use that to help decide what to buy and install.

People write the reviews shortly after installation. At that time they are of course going to be OK, and people will be raving about them because they are going to be better than the worn-out struts they previously had. Unfortunately, you rarely see a review of the struts 50k later.

Another question to you "do it yourself" guys like me. If you replace a rear or front strut, do you replace the spring as well or do you just get a quick strut(already assembled)? At my work we dont replace the spring unless its broken or damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back