Just Bought My Dream Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,it's not *exactly* my dream car.That would be an MB S Class diesel (which will be arriving here soon) but I'd have to win the lottery to get that one.

The MB literature I've read suggests that 5w-30 (e.g.,Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30) is only suitable for temps up to 86 degrees and for higher temps 5w-40 is advised (or required).Can anyone confirm that this is the case for their current-day diesels? Also,does anyone know of outlets (web or brick and mortar chain) that carries Valvoline SynPower MST (which is approved for MB diesels)? Thanks!

Last edited:
5w40 or 0w40 are definitely preferred viscosities. Mobil 1 0w40 is very popular with the MB crowd for older vehicles requiring 229.5; Mobil 1 5w40 ESP is available at Pep Boys and approved to 229.51.

What car did you actually just buy?

Originally Posted By: scurvy

I think it's the one in his sig line?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: scurvy
5w40 or 0w40 are definitely preferred viscosities. Mobil 1 0w40 is very popular with the MB crowd for older vehicles requiring 229.5; Mobil 1 5w40 ESP is available at Pep Boys and approved to 229.51.

Except,perhaps,for reasons of fuel economy 5w-40 would certainly be preferable to 5w-30 for hot weather driving but I'm wondering if MB *requires* it.I'm familiar with Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 from my days with my previous diesel...a BMW 335d and,as you said,it is available at Pep Boys (I was just there today).Basically I'm trying to get a supply in at a discount...like the $6.80/litre I just paid for Fuchs 229.51 approved oil (shipping included).I suppose I'll just buy some Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40 at Pep Boys at $8.50/litre for peace of mind (they were out of the 5w-40 today).

I bought the '11 E350 Bluetec..3 litre V-6...210hp...400 ft lbs of torque.Much more refined than was the 335d's engine but not quite as zippy.

NAPA or any Valvoline distributor should have or be able to order the Synpower MST, I've even convinced a local Valvoline Instant Oil Change to carry it for our newer Sprinters.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
NAPA or any Valvoline distributor should have or be able to order the Synpower MST, I've even convinced a local Valvoline Instant Oil Change to carry it for our newer Sprinters.

I suspect you're correct.I guess I should have made it clear from the start that I'm trying to work on the cheap...like the $6.80/litre I just paid for 5w-30.IIRC,I bought some Valvoline MST at NAPA when I first got my "d" for about $12/quart...back when oil was about $50/barrel.

Originally Posted By: JimFitzpatrick
The MB literature I've read suggests that 5w-30 (e.g.,Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30) is only suitable for temps up to 86 degrees and for higher temps 5w-40 is advised (or required).Can anyone confirm that this is the case for their current-day diesels?

Congrats on a new ride!

MB has several pieces of literature that seem to contradict themselves. For example, according to this page, you're right, Xw-30 is only good up to 86F:
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/10119/?requestedDocId=10119

But if you look in your 2011 maintenance booklet, these same Xw-30 oils are good for the entire ambient temp range:

2011_viscosity_grades.png

Although just a few years earlier, this little chart looked like this:

C300_oil_grades_specs.png

Go figure!

From MB FSMs:

MBDiesel.jpg

MBOldDiesel.jpg

Top one is newer, bottom one relates to my fave, the OM616/617...

Search for the MB "bevo" site. It will give you specs and compliant manufacturers for all your fluids.

Nice ride! No w123, but awesome
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
[Although just a few years earlier, this little chart looked like this:

The one from a few years ago had the caveat that the oil would meet CCMC G5, which I believe was the precursor to the current ACEA specs. Note on mine the differentiation between the more robust and less robust specs...

CCMC G5 was superceded by ACEA A3/B3 as I understand it. Maybe someone else has better insight into that than I though... Doug H????????

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Search for the MB "bevo" site. It will give you specs and compliant manufacturers for all your fluids.

Interestingly enough, majority of 229.51 fluids listed on Bevo are Xw-30.

Another document here, second one on this page:
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/doclist.jsp

on page 6 shows that Xw-30 can be used above 86F no problem. Although, it seems to have been published in 2007, it's the latest one they have.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the MB code/type for the engine that sits in this E350 BlueTec?

It's the OM642 diesel.As I said earlier...3.0/l V-6,210hp.400 ft lbs torque at (IIRC) 1700rpm.

It's the OM642 diesel. As I said earlier...3.0/l V-6,210hp.400 ft lbs torque at (IIRC) 1700rpm.

It's better than that. Peak torque is maintained from 1,600-2,400rpm.

Sweet ride, congratulations.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
It's the OM642 diesel. As I said earlier...3.0/l V-6,210hp.400 ft lbs torque at (IIRC) 1700rpm.

True,it's not just *at* 1700 (or 1600) rpm.That torque is what sold me on my first diesel,my 3 Series.I'm a rather sedate driver (hey,I'm getting old) but it's still nice to know that you can pass on the Interstate...effortlessly...when needed.Chances are you've seen the same with your TDI.

True,it's not just *at* 1700 (or 1600) rpm.That torque is what sold me on my first diesel,my 3 Series.I'm a rather sedate driver (hey,I'm getting old) but it's still nice to know that you can pass on the Interstate...effortlessly...when needed.Chances are you've seen the same with your TDI.

I can do that in my 82 300CD... Heck, I can do that at reasonable speeds in my 81 240D.

YOURS is better than effortlessly Id say.

Did you get rid of the 3 series? How would you compare the two? Care to write it up in the vehicles section?

I just got a new 135i last year. Next car might be a 335d, though ive always loved the w211 CDI.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the MB code/type for the engine that sits in this E350 BlueTec?

It's the OM642 diesel.As I said earlier...3.0/l V-6,210hp.400 ft lbs torque at (IIRC) 1700rpm.

Oh, OK. For some reason I thought this was some newer 3.5 liter version, but I guess the "350" does not mean 3.5 liter in case of diesel, like it does in case of the gasoline engine.

Gotta love all that torque though!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I can do that in my 82 300CD... Heck, I can do that at reasonable speeds in my 81 240D.

YOURS is better than effortlessly Id say.

Did you get rid of the 3 series? How would you compare the two? Care to write it up in the vehicles section?

I just got a new 135i last year. Next car might be a 335d, though ive always loved the w211 CDI.

Yah,I traded the "d"..only because I *needed* something bigger (full sized adults find the back seat quite uncomfortable) and *wanted* something more luxurious.The two cars really can't be compared...it's apples and oranges.The "d" is great at doing what it's designed to do...as is the Bluetec.The only regret I have is that the "d" was much spunkier.I can highly recommend the "d" unless back seat comfort is important.

Yep, the TDI has that broad, smooth power application. The surprising thing is that the gasoline-fueled 2.0T in my GTI actually has a better, and broader, torque band. Stock, it's rated at 207lbs/ft from 1,800-5,000rpm! With my ECU tuning, it's over 320lbs/ft. Imagine that in a small hatchback...
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back