2011 VW GTI or Golf TDI for Daily Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have driven them both and really like the acceleration of the GTI but really like the mpg of the TDI. The cars are very similar in price with the GTI being a little less expensive.

This is going to be a 4-door model and my daily driver (20 mile round trip to work). I do know that diesel is a little more expensive but I have also been reading it is a very reliable engine. I plan to keep the car for a good 6-8 years and 100-150K.

Let me know which one you would choose and why.

Diesel for sure.

The GTI will be a little more fun some of the time. The TDI will get better MPG all of the time. Besides, the TDI should be plenty fun on the street anyway.

I test drove a GTI with DSG last week. Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with its performance. You might as well go for TDI and get better MPG.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I test drove a GTI with DSG last week. Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with its performance. You might as well go for TDI and get better MPG.

As the owner of a GTI, I have to agree. There really is nothing special about the GTI, compared to other cars in it's price range. I would have bought a Golf TDI if I had it to do over again.

The new paradigm is the "fun" of better mpg.
cry.gif

I go gti.....all the emissions equipment on the tdi makes them very complex and prone to problems the old tdi's never had to deal with and any repair to the oil burner is going to cost you...also because of the dpf's active regen cycle real world mpg figures are lower than you would expect.....

I'd have to say TDi. MPG FTW! Plus maybe I'll see Willie filling up his wife's TDi Jetta at the Bio-Willie station
lol.gif

I like the GTi. I didn't like the DSG though. Hated the throttle tip in. Personal preference. If I'm going to have to have something shift for me on a daily driver then I choose the way an actual fluid coupling hydraulic slushbox automatic feels. Everything else about the GTi is me. 5-doors? Check. Good torque? Check. Handling? Check. Balance? Check....etc...but I know I'll be feeding it Premium all the time and there's not much of a difference between the cost of Premium and Diesel.

It is really hard to find a used Diesel Golf with a manual. Either VW is not making them or drivers are hanging on to them tenaciously.
21.gif
I vote the second.

This just might be a deal killer:

From the March '10 issue of C&D:

"Once running, the diesel engine barely created enough heat to affect coolant temperatures. As a result, the heater struggled to produce warm air, even on 40-degree days. One stingingly cold morning, at 10-below, the Jetta’s coolant needle didn’t move at all, even after driving 20 miles. “Thankfully this Jetta has heated seats, otherwise I might be frostbitten,” a staffer reported. To deal with this shortcoming, Canadian models come with an electric heater that will blow warm air even when engine temps are too low to produce any heat. Our U.S.-spec TDI was not thus equipped, so we shivered our way to work on cold days."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/..._the_joy_page_2

That's strange. You'd figure that VW out of all mfgs would know how to make a diesel work right. I haven't heard any such complaints coming out of Europe. Do all the European models come standard with these electric heaters?

Very strange, it a Northern European car too, you'd think it would be warm in the winter...

On the other hand, why not have the electric heater in the US??

Makes no sense at all...............

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Diesel for sure.

The GTI will be a little more fun some of the time. The TDI will get better MPG all of the time. Besides, the TDI should be plenty fun on the street anyway.

I 2nd this. I too would think the TDI would be more economical over the life span of the vehicle. The TDI is VERY torquey and will seem much quicker off the line than the GTI, the GTI though, is higher reving and therefore "seems" to be faster. If it is, its not by much.

My Vote, TDI

Jeff

Originally Posted By: cos
This just might be a deal killer:

From the March '10 issue of C&D:

"Once running, the diesel engine barely created enough heat to affect coolant temperatures. As a result, the heater struggled to produce warm air, even on 40-degree days. One stingingly cold morning, at 10-below, the Jetta’s coolant needle didn’t move at all, even after driving 20 miles. “Thankfully this Jetta has heated seats, otherwise I might be frostbitten,” a staffer reported. To deal with this shortcoming, Canadian models come with an electric heater that will blow warm air even when engine temps are too low to produce any heat. Our U.S.-spec TDI was not thus equipped, so we shivered our way to work on cold days."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/..._the_joy_page_2

Interesting, BUT its possible the 2011's or now the 2012's that are coming out corrected this problem??

Look into that.

Jeff

Hey wn1998, just out of curiosity, I see you have a 2009 versa, Ive got one as well. You getting rid of it for the golf or is this in addition?

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Hey wn1998, just out of curiosity, I see you have a 2009 versa, Ive got one as well. You getting rid of it for the golf or is this in addition?

The versa is my wife's daily driver and I will drive the VW. We are going to keep the Jeep as a third winter car.

Originally Posted By: redcon1
GTI: 6.1 sec 0-60; 14.7 sec/96mph 1/14 mile
TDI: 8.0 sec 0-60; 16.2 sec/85mph 1/4 mile

0-60 times aren't particularly relevant in day-to-day driving. Show us some 20-40 or 40-60 times and we'll have something on the table.

They also don't give a good idea of how the car actually feels, which (I hope you'll agree) is a lot more important than how quick it can possibly go in a controlled environment. For example, the 2006 Audi A4 2.0T is supposed to be almost 1 second slower than the 3.2 version from 0-60, but if my experience is any indication, it definitely does not feel that way in most real-world situations.

OK, here's my subjective opinion, having driven all 4 cars you mention. Also. I've owned 6 VAG vehicles (2 currently), including a diesel, as well as 2 BMWs.

The TDI FEELS slow.

btw, 0-60 is pretty relevant in my daily driving. Ever try merging onto a US route after the person in front of you stops dead in the acceleration lane?

Originally Posted By: redcon1
btw, 0-60 is pretty relevant in my daily driving. Ever try merging onto a US route after the person in front of you stops dead in the acceleration lane?

Fair point. I suppose it's up to the OP to decide whether that scenario is likely enough that the extra speed would be worth considering.

I certainly have been in that situation, but only a few times in the past few years, and 0-60 in around 8 seconds had me covered every time; guess that's why I figure it's not worth worrying about. But, as always, YMMV...

I've driven both, and I would pick the GTI over the TDI any day.

The GTI is much more rev-happy, and if you have APR Stage 1 installed for $600, your car will be significantly more powerful without a decline in fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back