'09 Ford Focus Brake Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Focus has about 23k miles on it and for the most part has been a reliable vehicle. However recently, and only when it rains, the front (I think it's in the front) brakes have a horrid 'thump-thump-thump' sound when exiting the interstate. It ONLY occurs when it's wet. It is a pulsing, roaring, sound almost as though something is grinding. Anybody else ever have this happen? I did take it to the dealer (under warranty) and the took the brakes apart at each wheel and found nothing unusual. They also tried to duplicate the sound but since it wasn't wet that day it could not be done (I told them so). I did a search on the web and did notice that a few folks with the same basic vehicle had similar problems with no real answer. One poster thought it was the water 'vaporizing' on the rotors while another suggested sanding them down because of glazing.
Any ideas out there??

If everything is properly lubricated, then I would try a new set of brake pads.
different type!
You can get some that have a bit better grab, and are dustless.

This is a weird problem.
There is no pulsation in the pedal?

Nope....no pulsing at the pedal at all. Being that the vehicle will be under warranty for a while longer I may just bring it in to them on a rainy day and ask them to go for a drive with me. When it makes the noise I will ask them to do what it takes to repair it. After all, no newer car should make brake noise simply because of a wet road.

Any chance it's a defective wheel bearing? Don't know why rain would do it though.

EDIT: Also, any chance it's the back plate for the rotor rubbing? I ask because on our Accord we had the backing plate bend somehow and on left turns the rotor would scrape on it making a terrible sounding scraping noise. This could be a similar thing just with something else rubbing.

Last edited:
Have a similar issue with my 2009 Focus, but the noise appears to come from the rear, and only when it's been raining. Brakes appear to be fine, and the vehicle still stops as if it should. When they dry, it goes away.

Originally Posted By: troyb43
Have a similar issue with my 2009 Focus, but the noise appears to come from the rear, and only when it's been raining. Brakes appear to be fine, and the vehicle still stops as if it should. When they dry, it goes away.

Interesting. I did read somewhere that an individual had thought the sound did indeed come from the rear brakes. It must be that water gets into those drums and has a tough time escaping during really wet drives. Yes, mine also stops just fine. It's that horrid noise that freaks me out though and makes me wonder if any excessive wear or damage is occurring.

I plan to pull the drums off in a week or two to clean and inspect as well as change out the brake fluid and will look for anything abnormal. The sound is horrid the first few times you hear it, maybe I am more used to it now, but it does not sound as bad as it once was.

Originally Posted By: troyb43
I plan to pull the drums off in a week or two to clean and inspect as well as change out the brake fluid and will look for anything abnormal. The sound is horrid the first few times you hear it, maybe I am more used to it now, but it does not sound as bad as it once was.

Please let me know what you find...if anything. I'd really like to know. You can add the info to my thread or send me a PM please! Thanks.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Any chance it's a defective wheel bearing? Don't know why rain would do it though.

EDIT: Also, any chance it's the back plate for the rotor rubbing? I ask because on our Accord we had the backing plate bend somehow and on left turns the rotor would scrape on it making a terrible sounding scraping noise. This could be a similar thing just with something else rubbing.

Had a wheel bearing replaced already and now they check out fine. No bent plate either. Turning has no effect....only wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back