2.3 ford ranger motorcraft filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
did an oil change today on my buddies '05 ford ranger, 2.3 liter engine. last oil change i had used an STP 3600 filter. went to wal mart today and got the oil and a motorcraft FL910S filter. however when i took the STP off, i noticed the STP is longer than the motorcraft by at least half an inch. can this hurt anything by using the smaller mo0torcraft filter? did ford downsize the filters? the STP 3600 and the motorcraft 910S are both the right ones for this truck.

I got the FL1-A to work on my 2010, as it is a lot easier to get off, and brought the oil capacity to five quarts. I have the room for the bigger filter, not sure if the '05 has the room or not. My Focus uses a 910 also, and I don't think they have changed sizes, only the FL400 did as far as I know.

yeah my buddies '05 can definitely fit a bigger filter. just wondering because the filter book at wal mart specified the 910S, and the STP i had used previously was a tad bit bigger.

If Ford specs the FL-910S, use it with confidence and don't worry about a size difference.

For example, the spec filter for 2008 (and earlier) Fusion 3.0 engines is a short, fat FL-820S, but the new spec filter for the same engine in subsequent models (2009-2011) is a slightly taller but much thinner FL-500S.

Ford did shorten it's filters about a year ago. I believe there's a thread discussing this. I have a 04 Explorer and bought a new filter from Walmart and noticed when I placed the old filter in the new filters box it was about a 1/2 inch to long. The service manager at my local ford dealer confirmed that Ford had shortened the length of it's filters.

Originally Posted By: kwijibo
Ford did shorten it's filters about a year ago. I believe there's a thread discussing this. I have a 04 Explorer and bought a new filter from Walmart and noticed when I placed the old filter in the new filters box it was about a 1/2 inch to long. The service manager at my local ford dealer confirmed that Ford had shortened the length of it's filters.
Yeah, I just noticed the FL400s is about half an inch shorter. I hope they don't shorten the FL1A too.

They shortened the FL-400S but they packed it with media, last one I saw had a whopping 63 pleats in it. Running one now I'll be sure to cut open as well.

Either filter will work, the 910s is being back spec to cover where the 400s was used, have read that they will do away with the 400 at some point in time. The longer 400 only holds about 2oz more oil than th 910 so it no big deal other than losing small amount of filtering media DD

On the Aerostar 3.0 I use the big FL1A instead of the specified FL400s. I am hoping my 2001 2.3L Ranger has room for the FL1A. I have a Napa Gold dated October 2011 #1516 (FL400s fit) that is still the longer filter. I wonder if Wix will also shorten them.

Yep know what you mean Ive got a Fusion 2.5 and will take the 400 but due to warranty will stay with the 910.
I had a 02 Ranger 2.3 and tried the FL1A on it but had valve train noise on start up so went back to the 400. 02 had the newer 2.3 so dont know if that would be the case with yours.
DD

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I could be wrong but I think the FL1A uses a nitrile ADBV, the smaller filters use silicone and would seal better.

Yes it does, you are right. While the FL-1A is a heck of a filter, I get much better start ups with the smaller FL-400S with silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: dinkydau
Yep know what you mean Ive got a Fusion 2.5 and will take the 400 but due to warranty will stay with the 910.
I had a 02 Ranger 2.3 and tried the FL1A on it but had valve train noise on start up so went back to the 400. 02 had the newer 2.3 so dont know if that would be the case with yours.
DD

Well that tells me it will fit my truck. There should be little if any difference between 2001 and 2002 2.3L in the Ranger.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I could be wrong but I think the FL1A uses a nitrile ADBV, the smaller filters use silicone and would seal better.

\
Never noticed any problem with the Aerostar. Filter mounted more or less horizantal or maybe pointing downward some, can't remember now.

With the Ranger the filter mounts bolt upright base end up. I would think drainback would not be an issue. If it is, I go back to the smaller filter but maybe change it mid OCI.

In 02 they started using a 2.3 engine that came from Mazda, the older engine was a ford based engine that had the two spark plugs per cyl and was a sohc as l remember but thats not to say that a 01 couldn't have come with the newer engine, was my understanding when l bought mine new that the 02 was the first year for it. The 02 engine was a dohc 4 valves per cyl.with one plug per cyl.They both still used the same mc400 filter. I did have to file a notch in the filter mount so the outside rim of the fl1a didn't hit the mount and allow the gasket to seal. DD

The 2.3 Mazda based engine (Duratec chain drive DOHC) came in halfway through the 2001 model year. Early '01 had a 2.5L rubber belt driven SOHC. Mine is later '01 same engine as 02 and on out, but that they improved horse power in '04 with different cam timing, throttle body, exhaust manifold and other tweaks. Fun engine, but I sure miss the low end torque of my old F150 4.9L inline six!
frown.gif
But I don't miss it's 13 mpg avg on my heavy foot. I get 25 in the Ranger with my heavy foot.

There ya go, l learned something new.lts the same basic engine thats now a 2.5 in my 2012 Fusion, good engine and easy on oil.DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back