Moly & Non-Moly grease spec for Toyota 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota calls for A Moly Lithium NLGI 2 in the slip joints of my '07 4Runner and a Non-moly lithium NLGI 2 in the spider joints.

I've been using Valvoline Synpower in the slips and Mobil 1 in the spiders.

What would be the problem with using the Synpower moly everywhere? Or, for example, could I use Redline CV2 moly grease everywhere?

Many thanks!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carl6773666
Toyota calls for A Moly Lithium NLGI 2 in the slip joints of my '07 4Runner and a Non-moly lithium NLGI 2 in the spider joints.

I've been using Valvoline Synpower in the slips and Mobil 1 in the spiders.

What would be the problem with using the Synpower moly everywhere? Or, for example, could I use Redline CV2 moly grease everywhere?

Many thanks!!

Yep squirt the Redline grease in everything, the Moly non Moly recommendations From Toyota is a method of baffling you with nonsense,

Red line Moly CV joint grease has some sort of "Red" Moly All along I thought there was only one type of Molybedamned Disulshite but nope "Red" Moly,

As Far as the driveline spline application there may be a better alternative, Ford recommends a "Plastic grease" for these applications, Read the "Poly grease thread" some sort of special grease for splines,

"Mobil 1 in the spiders."

Spiders dont like grease, do you mean u joints ?

Last edited:
Okay I did some reading about Red Moly,

I thought all along it may have something to do with sulhur

"Oil soluble molybdenum-sulfur compounds, such as thiophosphates and thiocarbamates, provide engine protection against wear, oxidation and corrosion. Several commercial manufactures supply these additives to the lubrication industry."

I started looking into this a while back but got side tracked,

Now from what I have heard thru the Mechanics grapevine is that Brass does not like sulfur, So not advisable to use the Red line grease in a component that has brass,

Again this is just the "Grape vine" but I know there is a lot of discussion about brass syncro rings getting loused up by high sulfur gear oils ????

I dont know for sure maybee some "Red line Folks" can way in here,,,

For instance on your 4 runner the spindle bushing has a brass in it, so maybee dont use the Red line Sulfur grease for that,,,

Originally Posted By: IH8mush
Okay I did some reading about Red Moly,

I thought all along it may have something to do with sulhur

"Oil soluble molybdenum-sulfur compounds, such as thiophosphates and thiocarbamates, provide engine protection against wear, oxidation and corrosion. Several commercial manufactures supply these additives to the lubrication industry."

I started looking into this a while back but got side tracked,

Now from what I have heard thru the Mechanics grapevine is that Brass does not like sulfur, So not advisable to use the Red line grease in a component that has brass,

Again this is just the "Grape vine" but I know there is a lot of discussion about brass syncro rings getting loused up by high sulfur gear oils ????

I dont know for sure maybee some "Red line Folks" can way in here,,,

For instance on your 4 runner the spindle bushing has a brass in it, so maybee dont use the Red line Sulfur grease for that,,,

His 4runner doesn't HAVE a spindle bushing, frank. It has a unit bearing type front wheel bearing that the axle bolts into.

You can use the redline cv2 everywhere, yes.
The only grease zerks you have on that 4runner are in the driveline. Use the redline stuff in all of them, you'll be just fine.
Anything is better than nothing, and the redline stuff will work great.
Even grease incompatibility issues won't matter if you give em a little bit each time you do an LOF.

Originally Posted By: Carl6773666
Thanks for the replies. I am still confused, I'm afraid.

Be afraid, be very afraid, And question the Toyota sales guide about grease,

Well with out brass in the busing you should be okay with Red line,

Thing is with your driveline spline deal there is a Ton of complaints about clunking and such, look into the Ford product as a alternative, same issues with the Ranger driveline clunks

Ford came out with a "Plastic Grease"

Now even Some Toyota drivelines are made by Dana Spicer Corp so using a different brand of Rigs idea is advisable,

And again major clunking driveline complaints with Toyota,

Type of grease could be the solution,

The moly is kinda the key to the driveline clunks.
I've fixed NUMEROUS driveline clunks with cheap-o CRC/sta lube #2 lithium with moly. AND harch shifting concerns, believe it or not.
I have to imagine the redline stuff is even better.

Search Results

[PDF]
Dana® Spicer® Driveshaft
- 1:44pm
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
form driveline service and/or maintenance procedures for ..... Spicer Driveshaft recommends lubricating with a compatible grease meeting N.L.G.I. Grade 2 ...
www2.dana.com/pdf/DSSM-3264.pdf - Similar

Read Page 12 of this file,

Where it says "Note"

In some circumstances Original manufacture will require a special grease,

Other than that a big run around about contacting grease suppliers about compatibility,

In the end its the guy squirting in the grease responsibility

Problem is here if you contact Toyota Sales you will not get a straight answer about grease,

Bottom line,

Going to have to experiment with what you feel will work,
But I have found not in your particuliar Toyota application but others where your in fact told in the manual to introduce a incompatible grease,

So what ever Toyota says, ignore it and Talk to Dana, Spicer the folks who build drivelines,

I dont think "Moly" has a darn thing to do with it,

Like I said "Moly" is a distraction, a smoke and mirror trick,

Heck 90 % of Toyota techs think Moly is its own base of grease,

I see no run-around.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Rix
I see no run-around.
21.gif

I see Dana Spicer say nothing about Moly in the grease Talk

NOTHING

Moly dont mean squat Rixxer, while you seem to think its some "Miracle" additive that Toyota Sales dudes have educated you to think is a end all fix in the grease world,

Sure a wonderful additive, but Like the Dana Spicer folks say about it, Nothing

And they build Toyota Drivelines

Its [censored] , Smoke and Mirror Show, Mushroom Factory Material and your suck it up,

And spread it around as well, and I am stopping it,

So to the Original poster, sorry , But Rixxer a Sales Trained Toyota tech is a major problem in my trade and needs to be re educated,

Not your Rig exactly but talk to the Dana brothers about driveline spline grease and u joint grease,

They dont say Nothing about Moly, so dont worry about it,

Check out the "Poly" grease instead of the "Moly"

Frames by Dana

Dana Corporation builds frame assemblies and driveshafts for the Sequoia at its Structural Products facility in Owensboro, Kentucky. The front half of the frame is similar to the Toyota Tundra pickup and the components for the rear portion are being produced at Dana's Structural Products facility in Hopkinsville, Kentucky.

Dana's Spicer Driveshaft Group provides driveshaft technology incorporating Spicer's patented maintenance free, net-formed cardan universal joints. The one-piece 1310 series swagged (four-inch diameter tubing to three-inch) steel main driveshafts will be supplied for the 4x2 Sequoia model. Spicer Driveshaft's swagging process for driveshaft tubing, allows for easier tool clearance in the installation and removal of large diameter driveshafts. The group also supplies the front main driveshafts on the 4x4 version out of Gordonsville, Tennessee.

Dana also supplies the frames and driveshafts for the Toyota Tacoma pick-up.

Toyota has had their two-grease spec for years. My '01 Tundra has the same spec. I've been using Schaeffer 3% moly grease in the u-joints, double cardan joint, and driveshaft spline for over 100,000 miles with excellent results. I don't know why Toyota has their split personality for grease except maybe a way to save a penny or two in assembly.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Toyota has had their two-grease spec for years. My '01 Tundra has the same spec. I've been using Schaeffer 3% moly grease in the u-joints, double cardan joint, and driveshaft spline for over 100,000 miles with excellent results. I don't know why Toyota has their split personality for grease except maybe a way to save a penny or two in assembly.

I don't know why Toyota has their split personality for grease except maybe a way to save a penny or two in assembly.

Toyota is not really known for cutting corners in assembly, The split personality comes from Toyota Sales,

Toyota manufacturing different story,

As far as other grease recommendations on Toyota vehicles the Sales dept is all over the place

Take for instance the drag link, steering link , advise or suggestion,

Some books say #0 grade

Some books say #1 grade

Some books say #2 grade

All for the same part, So it just depends what saleteam wrote the book,

So you really need to isolate which Toyota company the Sales,

dept or production

The split personality comes from Toyota Sales,

Uh..... no.

Last edited:

Uh..... no.

It is the case Rixatus,

You cant see it because your in the middle of it,

Quite a few of your fellow Toyota techs think "Moly" is its own base of grease,

What I refer to as the "Moly Greasers"

The advise and suggestions which all the Toyota FSM is,

Is all over the place, inconsistant , inaccurate, incompatible,

Split personality is a nice way of saying it,,, plenty of folks here in the light of Bob know it, see it, and soon you will as well,

Uh..... no.

It is the case Rixatus,

You cant see it because your in the middle of it,

Quite a few of your fellow Toyota techs think "Moly" is its own base of grease,

What I refer to as the "Moly Greasers"

The advise and suggestions which all the Toyota FSM is,

Is all over the place, inconsistant , inaccurate, incompatible,

Split personality is a nice way of saying it,,, plenty of folks here in the light of Bob know it, see it, and soon you will as well,

No, there is no great grey grease conspiracy.
"other toyota techs" don't answer to me, nor I to them.
No, moly grease isn't technically a correct term, but that's exactly what the tube says on it. Perfectly understandable why someone would say it.

There is no compatibility issue if the repair manuals are followed.

Your ravings are getting tiring.
You've never even touched an 07 4runner, you really have nothing to even be talking about.
Please stop. Noone is looking for your conspiracy theories, and they are false anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back