Mazda M-V ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to do the 30K on my girlfriends 2010 Mazda 3. Mazda recommends never changeing the ATF, which is nice of them. Anyways i was going to drain the pan and refill. The fluid looks really clean so I see no reason to flush it. The guys on the Mazda forum were saying that the 3's trans is hard on fluid and that the M-V fluid is junk. Of course they are all driving the last generation 3. So maybe if they were getting so many complaints they might of changed it up for the better. With this car though I don't see any evidence of it being hard on fluid or that the fluid is junk. The only fluid I can find that is M-V compatible is Mobil 1 ATF and Redline ATF. So if I was to use something different I would have to do a full flush I would assume. Does anyone know anything about this fluid? Think I should continue to use it or change it out?

You don't have to do a full flush.

You can use the OE fluid or any of the universal/multivehicle ATFs that mentions the spec.

Look of the fluid mean little. If you want to know its condition, get a used oil analysis.

Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple, Mobil1 are excellent choices.

I think that Amalie, Maxlife, Schaeffers, Castrol, Pennzoil... might also have equivalent ATFs. Read the data sheet for whatever you use.

I know Hicks Oil also offers a multivehicle ATF in their Venom line. It meets Mazda M-V specifications. Let me know if you want me to send the data sheet for review.

I didn't read that Mazda said NOT to change the ATF. I thought the recomendation was to inspect at a specific interval. Did I miss something or did you add your own?

Mazda does NOT say to never change out the ATF. They have no change interval in the manual, merely say to inspect it at certain intervals and use your discretion. You need to re-read the manual. Considering Mazda is using the same 5-speed ATX in the new generation as they did in the S-model of the old generation, I'd bet the transmission is just as hard on fluid.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

I think that Amalie, Maxlife, Schaeffers, Castrol, Pennzoil... might also have equivalent ATFs. Read the data sheet for whatever you use.

I don't think the Valvoline MaxLife ATF meets the Mazda M-V spec.

I checked my stash of MaxLife and Mazda M-V is not listed. Neither is Ford FNR-5

That's too bad. I've been real pleased with the MaxLife's shift quality in the Aisin in my 6S. Smells terrible. Works well.

It does not say not to change the ATF fluid, but it does not say to change it/check it at all. I ended up using Mobil 1. It shifts a lot better now. I'm happy with it.

I'm not sure if the m-v is good or bad. My 2008 Mazda 5 had very dark oil before 40,000km. Not much resemblance to and shade of pink or red...more of brownish gray. Mine for sure needed to be changed and the dealership was going to flush it with a machine and a chemical cleaner.

I did the flush and switched to Amsoil. I was probably overkill on how much new fluid I flushed through. My only issue is that I didn't pay attention enough to how the cold shifts felt with the Mazda fluid. So I'm not sure how the two fluids differ when it comes to how the transmission feels.

What I do know is that the fluid is not turning brown so far and looks like new.

I noticed in France that Mazda has a synthetic M-V atf which close to Amsoil's specs. So for whatever reason, Mazda does provide a synthetic m-v in some markets.

After 40k miles my 04' Mazda6s Jatco fluid still looks pretty red, but that's with several drain-refills using Redline D4, and an external cooler put on.

I have an '09 Mazda 5 with the 5 speed ATX. At 27K miles the fluid looked like a gray crud. The car was shifting harder than new, especially while downshifting and shifting from reverse/neutral/drive while stopped. I had the dealer do a flush with M-V and man, that car is smoother than new now. I wish I had done the flush at 10K. I think the fluid is a good fluid and highly recommend Mazda 3/5 owners do flushed, total flushes, every 25K-30K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back