Helmet & tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really shadetree but I did my tubeless virago tire with my HF car tire changer. (sans MC attachment) The bead breaker was the most important part. Then I carefully laid the rim on some 2x4s as to protect the brake rotor and other soft goodies, and went at the tire with the typical irons.

I think I paid about $45 for each piece, about $90 total. Stop by anywhere that sells magazines, and field & Stream and similar magazines, and some auto magazines have full page Harbor Freight ads with a 20% off coupon in them.

Thanks for the ideas but I was looking at Youtube videos of people changing cycle tires, and in the comments they say HF no longer sells the cycle tire adapter. This is his comment :

HF still sells the #65279; changer, but discontinued the motorcycle adapter kit. #34542 is the base changer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_J5_sRRiAk&NR=1

Originally Posted By: AreVee
How much is your head worth? You should also look into getting protective riding clothes, i.e., pants and jacket & gloves and boots. The pavement is very hard and your body is soft and brittle. Get the best protective gear you can because it's your life that can be saved by it. And wear it all the time.

Fred

Good advice! And get this......even if you never crash the gear was well worth it. Why? Because it prevented you from being scared of the ground. This will allow you to ride sure footedly and wear off chicken strips by not being so scared of the bike. My friend has humongous chicken strips and then I let him borrow my jacket and he told me how much more of the tire he used, while having a much better time on the bike.

As for the helmet, get one that is snug. You should be able to jerk your head around and it should not move at all. It should be snug and it will 'bed' in and 'loosen' up over use. I kind of made a mistake and bought an XL as my first helmet (my head is a large) and it got pretty bad on the bike and I had to start wearing a head sock. This was ok though because the head sock was comfortable and took up the slack just nicely.

In spite of all the good advice I went ahead & ordered a helmet online. Got a new return from EvilBay, in the exact size(large, according to measurement), color(white) & model(HJC CL-Max II) I wanted for $81 shipped. Had a forgotten $6 in the PP account, only had to pay $75. The full coverage sticker was still on the plastic face shield, padding pristine & "undented", it had never been more than tried on. Maybe I just got lucky, but it's about as good & snug- *real* snug*- a fit as I could have found by trying on helmets.

Bonus- the seller used a size 5XL MotoBoss nylon/polyester? rain jacket as padding! The zipper is broken off(a common complaint in reviews on this model jacket), but it's otherwise in really good shape. Good to keep in the truck for those unexpected occasions- and it has a couple of Velcro closures too. Plus there's always Duct Tape!
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back