MAKING YOUR OWN OIL BREW question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard of people who make there own brew of oil mixing by playing with the weights yet staying of coarse with the same brand _correct me if Im wrong_on the calculations how ever say you had a [5] qt capacity engine ,so your 2 qts short so now you have 3 qts of 10x30 left in the engine and you added what you had in the garage , 1 qt of 10x40 and 1 qt of 20x50 .so if you added the 4 qts of the 10x plus the 1qt of 20x you would have a total of 60 divided by [5] =a total weight of 12x now you add the 3 qts of 30 weight and one qt of the 40 and 1 qt of the 50 weight and you have a total of 180 weight divided by [5] =a total weight of 36 so the end results is you would have a brew of 12x36 weight oil ,is this the way these guys figure there own home brews ? I have a 03 nissan pathfinder v6 automatic 4x drive

Last edited:
I just finished a load of Oil Changes today and mixed the oils for the people.

I mixed Shell Rotella T Dino Diesel, and Mobil Delvac 15w40 with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w20 Synthetic on a 50/50 or a 60/40 mix.

All vehicles are running fine. I used 8 Gallons of Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac and almost 6, Five Quart Jugs of QSUD Synthetic.

15w40 was reduced to close to 10w30 with a strong synthetic blend with the QSUD.

Now I'm tired and will get to bed early after my long bath and dinner.

Last edited:
Mix all you want, no harm will be done.

I still have a case of old school SL rated 15w50 Mobil 1 that I need to get rid of and will mix with 5w20.

Not exactly. You need to look at the oils' spec sheets to see their HTHS and kinematic viscosities. Use those numbers rather than just "5w30".

For example, mixing an oil with KV@100C of 14cSt in a 1:1 ratio with one that's a KV@100C of 10cSt will result in an oil of about 12cSt.

I wish we had more VOA's on this sort of thing. I saw a VOA that had the old RTS, VSET and some kind of 0w20. It looked super stout with great cSt & KV. Personally I don't mess with mixing and blending. I don't claim to know more than a petro engineer. I do however find it interesting. Maybe one day I'll experiment, but as long as the kids are in sports, I'll have to wait.

I plan on doing a VOA and a UOA on my mix in the future, but I will not tell the lab what oil I'm using. I would like to see the results of the UOA and the VOA for the blend.

This should not be rocket science and calculation to the "n-th" degree. This is getting out old oil, from quick lube joints and who knows where, and replacing it with fresh oil and a filter. None of the people that I've changed oil for are professional auto racers.

So, after my run of PYB in the Toyota 4Runner, I will be using the blend of QSUD and Shell Rotella T, Triple Protection, Dino Diesel. At the end of the run in the late Fall of 2011, I'll send in the samples to the Blackstone people.

All I've had from the neighbors, family and others have been positive comments on how well their engines are running from the Oil Changes. I remind them to check the oil level and add if needed or have them come see me to check the oil level.

I've used NAPA Gold, Purolator Classic White Cans and a few P1's in all the Oil Changes for the neighbors, family and others and I've made sure to at least soak the inside of the filter with oil before installation.

Not 1 engine has blown up yet....so that is also a positive.

You cannot calculate like that as mentioned. The weight is a property, not an amount. Two glasses of 120F water mixed don't get you a big glass of 240F

Wow your really a mixer and when I just mixed
10x30
10x30
10x30
10x40
20x50
I come out with a 12x36 mix and my owners book says I can use a 5x30 to a 10x40 ,I was worried that I over did it with the 20x50 thrown and some engineer says you cant mix because a 50 weight will cause a big molecule bump on the oil passing over the bearings ,is this true? and I was ready to drain it all out and put just all 10x30 in , but according to the way you do it it all works as long as it isn't to thick like say 5 qt of 20x50 and 1 qt of 5x30.

Why mix oil other than to get rid of some old stuff you have on the shelf a little at a time? If an oil has the spec's and viscosity needed you're done. Then it's on the choosing the OCI. The real unknown here is the oil filter. What's really inside the different filters other than price and brand loyalty. It's too bad there is not an API spec for oil filters.

""at least soak the inside of the filter with oil before installation.""

That's the only part of your OC process I agree with-all the mixing is a waste of time IMO

Steve

mongo 161 - sounds like your operating a Oil Still :eek:)
You ain't using Junior Johnson for deliveries are you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back