Seeking Better Wearing Motorcyle Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AreVee
How often do you check tire pressure? Go to your manual and start with those figures. Too high or too low will wear out a tire faster than anything. Check tire pressures every time you get on your bike, your life depends on it.

Fred

Hi,

I run Nitrogen in my car & bike tires based on tire PSI recommendations which keeps them with more consistent PSI levels. Front tire felt a little soft when driving over a small curb to enter a business, and wanted to add something, so I thought I'd get Nitrogen in this bike's tires also, as I've done with my car and my last bike. Now I make less trips to air pumps, especially in the car. Works out good for me.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Check the tire mfg suggestion on pressure. Some tires call for more or less pressure than the stock rubber.

Very good point. I noticed for example that Metzeler recommends significantly higher PSI than the manufacturer of my bike.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I use helium in my tires. The weight reduction enhances handling considerably................Really!!!

Hmmm. How much reduction in weight?

Originally Posted By: AreVee
last time I checked, air on this planet was 80% nitrogen.

Fred

Most of us are probably aware of that.

any of the new generation sports touring tires will last 9k+ miles (rear). bt-023, angels, pilot road 2 (road 3 is out no) roadsmart, etc.

I've used bridgestone BT-023 and pirelli angels.

BT-023 seems to last a little longer but if you ride alot of highways this tire resists squaring the most. I got 9k out of my rear tire.

Don't discount Metzler because you 'only' got 4000 out of a M1. M1's were my first new set of tires on my first sportbike and I learned alot on them.

Metzler makes a Z6 that is Z-rated in sportbike sizes and easily got over 10,000 miles out of them. I wore the front just about even with the rear with all the quick lane changes I did. The center had tread and the sides had tread, but the transitional rubber was worn the same time the rear's cord started to show at about 11k and I even did a quick burnout in Vacaville to appease a guy in a truck who wanted us both to do burnouts at the same time.

I don't know how the Z6s compare to Pilot Roads but I bet they are alike with their own feel. The Z6 should handle all the corner carving you can give them on the street. They outgripped the factory Bridgestone BT-57s that only gave me 5-6000 miles. Win Win! Feedback was very positive but you can feel the thickness of the tread when rolling around on 'em.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back