Michelin A/S or M/S2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get two new tires P245/70/17 for my Sierra. I will be buying from Costco and have narrowed my choices down to the above two tires. My top priority is rolling resistance (fuel economy) and I was leaning towards the A/S but, after reading reviews on both at Tirerack, I will probably go for the M/S2 since its review scores are consistently better than the A/S.

Any comments?

What do you use the truck for?

Different performance bias between the two tires...from tire rack's description:

The Michelin LTX A/S is a durable, premium, highway all-season light truck tire designed to meet new vehicle Original Equipment requirements. The LTX A/S was developed to provide particularly smooth, even wear, low noise and good fuel efficiency, even in demanding commercial applications.

The LTX M/S2 is Michelin’s Highway All-Season light truck tire developed to combine long tread life with all-season capabilities for vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles, as well as for commercial vans, shuttles and chassis cab vehicles using light truck tire sizes. The LTX M/S2 is designed to combine a smooth, quiet ride with year-round traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including in light snow. Compared to the original LTX M/S, the LTX M/S2 is an evolution in looks…and a leap forward in performance.

I don't think there's much of an economy difference between the 2...So, if I wanted long wear in commercial service, the A/S.

If I wanted good all season traction and a smoother ride on the highway, the MS/2. You're in Toronto...and that MS/2 is designed for good snow traction...

The MS/2 is a great tire, you can't go wrong with it.

Last edited:
I think Michelin M/S 2 is better.. I am just wondering if Canada Costco offering $70 OFF for any set of Michelin Tires???

Well right now, costco offer $70 for Bridgestone tires..

I don't need the winter traction since I use dedicated winter tires(Michelin Latitude X-Ice).

I am surprised that you mention the M/S has a smoother ride. I would have expected the A/S to have the smoother ride.

My truck is lightly loaded most of the time, so that is why I decided not to go with LT tires and enjoy the softer ride of a P-metric tire.

MS/2 is known for a smooth ride. Mom has MS on her 2003 4-Runner...nice ride...that and the tirerack feedback...

I think the LTX A/S is known more for heavier duty applications, like 2500/3500 series trucks. I think they were OEM on some of the Dodge 2500/3500 trucks for a while. For the more civil ride, the LTX M/S2 is probably the best choice. Also, check Michelin's website to see which one is lighter in your size. That will play a part in ride and economy.

I personally like Michelin Tires, and like to buy from Costco.. Costco offering $70 off bridgestone in March/April..

I need to change my tires.. any opinion on Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity Technology ?? Thank.

Most reviews of the Turanza Serenity are not quite as positive as the Michelin Primacy MXV4, its prime competitor. Seems like people think the Turanza Serenity is either too harsh or too soft...not much in between with that tire. Its behavior may depend heavily on the specific tire size.

After many decades of experience with fleet trucks we run Michelin M/S2's on everything now.

Some are Silverados, and my personal truck is an 05 with 17 inch wheels and a 265/70/17 on it.

It's a fantastic combo. Very nice quiet and mutes impacts well (even at 80 psi!). Killer traction, especially with 3.73's and Locker rear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back