06 Pontiac Torrent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend has this car with the 3.4l V6. Recently purchased with 50k. Dealer seviced it prior to delivery and she said the OLM light has been on for at least four months now. Are these engines hard on oil?

Thanks

Hard on oil? That depends on whether the lower intake manifold is leaking or not.

I can't believe she hasn't even thought to get clarification from the dealer about whether the oil was changed as part of the pre-delivery service. Not a good start on maintenance.

Last edited:
Pretty certain the car was serviced(we know the salesman) and since the oil level is still full I'm guessing there is no leak. Will take a better look in the daylight tomorrow. The light has been on for a couple of months but it doesn't get driven all that far less than 5k since purchase.
I am assuming that with a 5K OLM cycle this engine might be hard on oil, seeing that a typical OLM cycle on the 4.2L I6 in my Envoy can be as much as 15K.

The OLM doesn't monitor oil condition, but driving habits. Wonder if OLM was not reset at time the service was done. I have the 3.4 in a 2005 Impala. I drive 75 hwy miles one way each day. Currently, I have just over 3k miles on the OCI and the oil life is at about 80%.

The intake gasket problem was supposedly fixed during the '05 model year.
I'm sure that the OLM wasn't reset. That motor is very easy on oil otherwise.
I have one with over 150K miles on it( it's a 95) and it still uses only a half a quart in 6000 miles (synthetic oil-Quaker State).

Just picked up a jug of QS synthetic for it at WM. Was just gonna go with a dino, but I asked her if she would run it with the light on again for 6 months. Her answer didn't encourage me so synthetic it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back