The aftermarket WHEEL for *EVERY* man: Motegi SP10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have these (in Matte Black color) on my 2007 Corolla CE and I am more satisfied with it than I expected to be.

Here are some pictures:
2371472389_450837136d.jpg

04-24-08-pit-crew.jpg

scion_tc_motegi_sp10.jpg

hpim0295st7.jpg

2s94wo6.jpg

j6o5zr.jpg

3550087978_a86cc849d4.jpg

==============================================

Frankly, based on the pictures alone I didn't expect them to look so good---they actually look much better (IMHO) in person than they do in the pictures. I'm quite happy with the looks: it looks sturdy and not too busy, with just the right number of spokes. it comes in two styles: Hyper-black (which looks like SILVER) and Matte Black which is the black one you see with an inner ring of silver (last two pics.)

They come in 15" (only 14 lbs,) 17 inches (only 17 lbs,) and 18" (about 19 lbs,) and are about 20% to 30% LIGHTER than the average ALLOY wheel. these wheels fill fit just about any car.

The backspace and offset ranges from +40 to +42 which very closely matches the OEM offset of most OEM wheels.

I ordered a set from Tirerack, they go for about only $100 for the 15" and only slightly more for the larger sizes.

These wheels are the "Toyota Corolla" of after-market alloy wheels: great value, great functionality, for the every-man, for the happiness of the world--LOL.

Last edited:
Hi.

They look good. Aesthetics aside, there are very few aftermarket wheels that do other than that.

Although lighter is good, we must also take into account stiffness and flex. It is easy to make a wheel light. It is more difficult to make a wheel light and strong. And yet, it is harder still to make a wheel light, strong, and stiff. These three factors usually separate the "for looks" and "for performance" wheels.

Of course, 99% of street cars will never approach these limits so it really isn't much of a factor when designing wheels for the consumer market.

Originally Posted By: dtt004

Although lighter is good, we must also take into account stiffness and flex. It is easy to make a wheel light. It is more difficult to make a wheel light and strong. And yet, it is harder still to make a wheel light, strong, and stiff. These three factors usually separate the "for looks" and "for performance" wheels.

Of course, 99% of street cars will never approach these limits so it really isn't much of a factor when designing wheels for the consumer market.

by strong and stiff do you mean that the wheel itself can "bend" and thus lose it's "roundness?"

I'm to nervous for little wheels like that. I watched an X5 shred his rim going 55 on the interstate. Since then, as much as I want after market rims I'm to much of a worrywart to actually buy them

Originally Posted By: mareakin
by strong and stiff do you mean that the wheel itself can "bend" and thus lose it's "roundness?"

I have seen spokes literally crack in half on wheels before. You end up seeing the hub still attached to the wheel, and the spokes broken or shattered and then the outer part of the wheel still mounted to the tyre.

We have Motegis on our Accord. The clear coat failed within 2 years, just out of the 1 year warranty they have on finishes. Washed by hand and no curb rash.

Hope your experience is different than ours has been.

For light wheels for your Corolla, along with OE quality, along with a cheap price, the secret is the 2nd gen Prius wheels. You can get them in 15" (that's what I wanted for mine). I got 'em for 200 bucks off eBay and they're only 14 pounds apiece. But as they're OE wheels, the quality is a known quantity.

Those Motegi wheels look nice though. Nice purchase.

Originally Posted By: dtt004
Hi.

They look good. Aesthetics aside, there are very few aftermarket wheels that do other than that.

+1

Forged wheels, not cast, are the way to go to meet the highest performance requirements. Forged wheels are expensive, though.

A comparable Volk CE28N 10 spoke wheel in the 15x7" size is stronger, stiffer, and only weighs 10.5 lbs. the Volks will set you back about $550 PER WHEEL!

Probably not for the daily driver...
smile.gif

Nice looking wheels, mareakin!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back