2008 528xi / 535xi long term realiability ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to get a good idea about the long term durability/reliability of these two models - 2008 528xi and 535xi.
What would be the 120k+ miles outlook for these cars ? Would they be trouble past 100k ? I have never used anything other than Honda and Acura cars till date - new or used - and going well past 100k has been a piece of cake. So thats what I'd compare the experience with. Would these cars demand more repair and maintenance than say an Acura TL of the same year/miles ?
Would love to hear feedback from past or current owners. Keep in mind this is for the "xi" versions (awd) of the models only.
Thanks!

The 3.5 has proven to be fickle though they've worked out many of the problems now. Obviously an AWD model has more stuff to break, though if that system goes it'll probably be catastrophic.

The Acura will be far more reliable and be easier to care for.

Hope Quattro Pete would chime in soon
smile.gif

I've owned three Hondas and family has owned many Hondas and Acuras, mostly manuals.

I also have an M3 nearing 100k.

Not even close. Body hardware, suspension, electrical, electrical, electrical. ABS, ESC, door locks, etc. It all costs a lot to fix too!

The interior is also not as durable as Honda/Acura. looks nice for a while, then loosens up like VW/Audi.

But the M3 is fun to drive.

BTW, I've owned an Acura and a Honda. Both were very easy to maintain and very not fussy at all. My Acura, in 6 years and 40k miles of ownership, did not have a single problem. My Honda was only in my possession for about a year and 8k of miles, but it too did not have any issues.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
I have never used anything other than Honda and Acura cars till date - new or used - and going well past 100k has been a piece of cake. So thats what I'd compare the experience with. Would these cars demand more repair and maintenance than say an Acura TL of the same year/miles ?

In my experience, yes. You're in for quite a different experience. Although, my experience is with a previous body style. However, I have been looking at newer 5-series on and off, and I don't think they've improved significantly over the previous generation. They're even more packed with electronics and these things unfortunately aren't bullet proof. If you're going to get one, make sure it's a CPO model with at least 100K mile warranty. Did you notice why the price of most BMWs falls sharply past 100K miles? They become very unpredictable when it comes to the cost of maintenance/repairs at that point, and many people just don't want to deal with it.

As far as the difference between 528i and 535i, the 535i suffered from HPFP issues, and I'm not sure if BMW has finally figured out a solution, even though the service action was announced. At least they extended the warranty on these parts. All in all, turbo engines may require more repairs down the road, but they're much more fun to drive, too, and after all, that is why most people buy BMWs in the first place. If you don't care about the performance aspects, then I'd say stick with Acura - you'll have all the luxury of a BMW less the unpredictable expenses. Acura sells AWD sedans, too.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I don't believe the TL was available with the SH-AWD until 2009 or later.

True, but AWD has been available on the RL since 2005. I think he can easily get an '08 RL for the price of an '08 535xi.

I love Acuras but in terms of looks, I can not find a more bland looking vehicle than RL! No wonder they take huge depreciation hit.

An '08 RL - good suggestion - now why didn't I think about that ?

I suppose a same year A6 or a E350 4Matic wouldn't be too far ahead in this regard(reliability) from the 5 series either ? and certainly not even close to an RL ?

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
An '08 RL - good suggestion - now why didn't I think about that ?

I suppose a same year A6 or a E350 4Matic wouldn't be too far ahead in this regard(reliability) from the 5 series either ? and certainly not even close to an RL ?

From what I have been told, the biggest issue with the E60s are the water leaks. If the electronics have not been relocated as directed by a TSB, any trunk water leak will fry a number of electronics.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I love Acuras but in terms of looks, I can not find a more bland looking vehicle than RL!

Personal preference I guess. I actually kind of like the understated/toned down looks of an '08 RL.

It's the current styling of TL that I can't digest...

Funny you mention that. Acura finally decided to admit their mistake on the TL and came out with a minor facelift for 2012. They even acknowledged that they had went too far. The previous generation TL is one of the most stylish car on the road today with just the right amount of edges and curves. I suspect it will still not look dated.

That previous gen TL is a beaut, way ahead of many others in many ways. The new TL = Ugh! Not my cup of tea.

To the OP, be cautious. The awd BMW's add another layer of tech on an already technology rich car that has been problematic for many.
The driving experience is wonderful, but prepare for downtime and big bucks repairs.

I am a bit surprised anyone would even compare a fwd anything to a BMW!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I thought we were comparing AWD BMW with AWD Acura. At least I was.
21.gif

If you want the classic BMW feel, you shouldn't even consider the "xi" models. But that's just me...

Some people make it to 100k without any major repairs. But there are a few number of these owners and they are usually owners of more stripped down models like E46 3 series models and entry level E90 325i models. People with more loaded BMW's such as the ones with iDrive systems and the twin turbo applications like the 535xi you're looking at usually have many more problems. If you want to pay less on maintenance but want somewhat of a luxury awd automobile, look at Lexus GS300/350 AWD, Infiniti M35x and Acura RL ('05 and up awd).

Last edited:
My mother-in-law has owned an '04 TL, and last year, traded it for a '10 TL. I liked the '04 much better. The '10 is a larger car, and much less edgy. (Huh? This guy drives a Camry, he likes edgy?!) The '10 doesn't feel like a balanced package. It rides kind of good, and handles kind of good, but does neither well. And there's so much "technology" on the car and in your face, it's less about the car and more about the gadgets on it.

The '04 was a much purer experience. It was still a bit awkward...a FWD car trying to handle as well as it did (and it did well for itself). It was much more tossable than the '10 model is. Although the '04 has a firmer ride (firmer even than my brother's C5 Corvette), I prefer the drive (and certainly the styling) of the '04 to those of the '10.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I thought we were comparing AWD BMW with AWD Acura. At least I was.
21.gif

If you want the classic BMW feel, you shouldn't even consider the "xi" models. But that's just me...

Maybe so, but the Acura is a fwd platform with the ability to direct power rearward if needed. So IMO they are hardly comparable for handling dynamics.

But I totally agree that awd's added weight and drag is going to really change that BMW 'driving experience'.

Yeah, the OP hasn't really explained why he wants a BMW. Whether it's for the driving experience, status, need for AWD, or yet something else. Depending on the answer, different alternatives could be suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back