oil for 2001 Jeep GC 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be changing my oil soon and want to use up some Amsoil oil. The Jeep normally runs on 10W30 but can also take 5W30. I will use 5QTs of ASL (5W30) and 1 QT of Amsoil 15W40. Not that I want to mix weights or anything, just thats what I got.

Sounds like a great mix to me - Jeep 4.0's seem to like a slightly thicker oil, and the 15W-40 will bump the 5W-30 up just a bit....

If you want to use up oil you have around, that should be fine. The AMC 4.0 absolutely thrives on 5w40 HDEOs like RT6 or M1 TDT, despite the factory Xw30 recommendation.

Yep, Jeep 4.0s like a 40wt oil. They run a little quieter with it too. I ran Rotella 5W40 in mine for 10s of thousands of miles. I switched to M1 HM 10W40 at the last oil change and will stick with that for the time being.

I have an'02 wrangler w/4.0,133k miles.It lives on 0w20 in the winter+5w20 in the summer.Holds 30-40 psi oil pressure at idle in the summer.It doesn't use any oil in 5k oil changes.It is no louder with these than back when it ran on 5w30.Kurt

cowtipper- why do you run such a low viscosity oil in your 4.0??? Those engines like, no really like a thicker viscosity oil between their moving parts. 10w-30 is Factory Recommended for a reason. They dont recommend 5w-30 for the 4.0 inline 6 at any time, anywhere. Amsoil does in cpld climates(below32), but 10w-30 in all other temps.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
cowtipper- why do you run such a low viscosity oil in your 4.0??? Those engines like, no really like a thicker viscosity oil between their moving parts. 10w-30 is Factory Recommended for a reason. They dont recommend 5w-30 for the 4.0 inline 6 at any time, anywhere. Amsoil does in cpld climates(below32), but 10w-30 in all other temps.

Wrong...my 2001 owners manual allows 5W-30 for temps below 60 degrees.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite

Wrong...my 2001 owners manual allows 5W-30 for temps below 60 degrees.

Have to agree....my 00 and 04's both spec 10w30 above freezing, and 5w30 below 60F. Using 0w30 in the winter now.

I would not run a 40 viscosity oil in it. You probably not going to hurt it but, the 30 viscosity would be better for it just use a stout 30 in it and call it a day. VR1 would be a top 5 oil to use in the 4.0L for the flat tappets and its on the thick side of a 30. Thicker oils than needed make the engine run hotter than whats needed and work the oil pump harder as well. Just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Cheaper, easier to get option is a 10W-30 HDEO.

That's what I run in mine as well, Rotella T 10w30 is very good stuff. Lots of goodies in the add pack that are a plus for the old 4.0

I would never run a 20wt in a 4.0...your lifters, piston skirts and bearings probably hate you. I'd stick with at least a 30wt....and UOAs show the 4.0s prefer a thick 30wt or 40wt oil. I used to run 5W40 in mine for many years but have since changed oil brands and I now run 10W40 in it.

Who said anything about running a 20 weight oil in a 4.0? Jeez, I would hope you wouldnt do that. Im a firm believer that Jeeps(well, 2004 and older) like thicker oils, not only in their motors, but transfer cases and diffs also. Ive got 6 Cherokees, 4 of which drive regularly, and the thinest motor oil I use is in the lowest mileage one, a 2001 Cherokee with the 4.0 Inline 6, and she gets 10w-30 in the winter, 10w-40 in the summer. Quaker State both times.

Originally Posted By: VR1
I would not run a 40 viscosity oil in it. You probably not going to hurt it but, the 30 viscosity would be better for it just use a stout 30 in it and call it a day. VR1 would be a top 5 oil to use in the 4.0L for the flat tappets and its on the thick side of a 30. Thicker oils than needed make the engine run hotter than whats needed and work the oil pump harder as well. Just my two cents.

How would a thicker oil make the engine run hotter?

I run thicker than factory recommended weights in my Jeeps, and I think they last because of it. Ive had many Jeeps, Cherokees in particular, and I just think, no...feel that they want thicker oil coursing through their Cast Iron Veins.

My next test fill in a Jeep 4.0 will be M1 0w40. I've been running T6 5w40 and love it, but I don't see any down-side to M1 0w40- its got virtually as much zn/p.

OK, the downside is availability... many places carry T6 and M1 TDT but not 0w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back