Which Automobile oils will work in my 700cc bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
If the bike has a wet clutch he needs to be careful about what oils go in it! Oils with a lot of friction modifiers like moly can mess up the clutches, stay with bike oil or diesel oil. Stay away from the pcmo oils. Call a cycle shop to see for sure whats safe.
Correct that's why I'm concerned about putting just any old oil into it. I've been told to go with oil that meets JSAO standards.

That's interesting about using non-synth diesel oils. I used to run Delvac 15W-40 in my Ford 302 (81 T-bird) because that is the only oil that the engine liked.

I'm going to take delivery of a new CBR250R and I've been looking at the maintenance logistics. I don't want to sap up any horsepower because the engine only makes about 23-24 rwhp! So naturally I thought of a synthetic.

I wouldn't ride enough in 1 year to require multiple oil changes, so I'd probably just change the oil once a year.

If your gonna run a 10w-40 in the Intruder, Go with the Rotella 15w-40. I have run it (and DELO 15w-40)for the last 65K in my Suzie ( she has 89K on here now). She is air-cooled and runs hot, but the Rotella does great with it and the clutch (original!). use it, and breathe easy. Besides, a 15w-40 is more robust than a 10w-40 anyhow, and gearboxes are hard on oils.

Originally Posted By: metroplex

I'm going to take delivery of a new CBR250R and I've been looking at the maintenance logistics. I don't want to sap up any horsepower because the engine only makes about 23-24 rwhp! So naturally I thought of a synthetic.

Then I'd recommend Rotella T6 5W-40.

Pretty much any 10w-40 will work. Your bike is liquid cooled I think? I guess just as long as you don't use an oil marked 'energy conserving' you'll be fine. It's not really that much more to get a full synthetic, bikes are hard on oil and full synthetic is a good idea. I don't know if your bike can use a 20w-50 or just 10w-40. I've actually used the walmart Supertech 20w-50 oil once in my 650 and it worked just fine. Mobil1 makes a 15w-50 full synthetic and that is what I've now switched to. I found it for $5.79 a quart at Napa. Then I picked up some more at walmart because it was marked down to $4 a quart.
You can use whatever 10w-40 you want to really, I'd just change the oil more often (1500 miles) if you go with a non synthetic. Smaller cc cruisers like ours run at higher rpm's than the bigger bikes and wear out oil faster. My bike rus at about 4800rpm's at 70mph.
You'll get alot of different advice probably on what to use or what not to use. I think 'motorcycle' specific oils are a scam. But, that is just my opinion.

I had a 1400 Intruder (air/oil cooled) that I rode in pig-nasty hot south Florida for 3 years/30k miles back in the early 90's, and all I ever used was Pennzoil yellow bottle or Valvoline 10W-40 dino PCMO (whichever one was on sale cheapest)with 3k-4k mile OCI. Bike still ran like a top when I sold it.
Having said that, I realize PCMO's aren't what they used to be, so these days I'd be more selective as to what I used. First, I'd avoid 10W-40 and either go with a 15W-40 dino like Rotella T, or a robust 20W-50 PCMO dino that has turned in good wear numbers in UOA's. A few that come to mind are Havoline, Brad Penn, and Valvoline VR1. These cost about 50 cents more than standard PYB, Castrol GTX, & Valvoline PCMO's, but are much stouter. VR1 is turning in really good UOA's in newer Harleys, which run scads hotter than your Suzi. In fact, I just switched my '07 Electra Glide from synthetics to VR1 2 weeks ago based on recommendations from other Harley owners and the positive UOA's I've seen.

If you're on a tight budget, Rotella T 15W-40 is the way to go. If you can handle 4 bucks a qt, go with something like VR1. This is what I'd do- YMMV...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back