15.5 OHV Kohler tune up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been charged with tunning up a Craftsman riding mower with the 15.5 OHV Kohler engine and have a couple of questions. I have a Kohler oil filter for it and the proper Champion plug, but wonder about the fuel filter and what oil to use. I would like to use something more substantial than the tiny fuel filter that is on the unit and am not sure that SAE 30wt is my best bet. Any reason not to use a a multi viscosity?

Most small engine makers now allow a multi-viscosity oil. They just have a disclaimer that consumption can be more and to check level more regularly.

Since the mower is at least 10 years old, I don't want to use an oil that will increase consumption. Any suggestions for a decent 30wt? What about a fuel filter? this thing will be used in dusty conditions.

My (1996) Craftsman has a 15 HP Kohler and the manual shows 10w30 for temperatures above 32 F and 5w30 for below 32 F. I've used GC in it for several years and I'd think Rotella T5 would be a good choice too if you opt to use multiweight oil.

I replace the fuel filter every couple of years.

I buy my parts from a guy called opeengines.com - really good prices for Kohler parts and I always get my order in two days. That web site allows you to search for parts by engine model, so it might be helpful to anyone who doesn't have an owners manual.

I guess the question might be why you have been delegated to tune this up? Is something not right and what are the symptoms?

I also have a cv-15, craftsman 1996 15.5 kohler command.
- oil can be 10w30. kohler put out a tsb on using/recommending this in command engines. my personal favorite on hot summers is rotella 5w40 syn.
- plug is a given
- air filter and foam precleaner
- grease zirks
- check the fuel lines all the way back to the tank. these can cause problems when they get aged.
- before doing any on these does it have carb issues. sears/kohler used two carbs. a walbro if you are lucky. and a nikki, like i have, that is challenging to get parts for.
- seafoam treatment may be helpful on cleaning it all out.
- i understand that some kohlers have sensitivity to the fuel filters. this has not been one of them for me. i have used several. oem is always a sure bet if it has run this long.
- last issue that i had involved the crankcase "creating" oil and there was blowback into the intake flooding the carb. this was the pulse fuel pump. if it ain;t broke. no need to fix.
- before doing any of this i always wash it down so it is clean to work on.
have fun. my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back