What Oil to Use in New 18hp Briggs Vanguard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm taking delivery of a 6-wheel-drive ATV that has a 2011 Briggs 18hp Vanguard. They advise the first oil change at 8 hours, then every 50 hours. I'll be using it year-round in air temps from 20F to 85F. I'm thinking of using Royal Purple or Mobil 0W-40W. Does that sound appropriate? Thank you.

What does the OEM recommend? I run 15w40 in all of our small engines, but I'm curious to see what Brigg's recommends for your engine.

Cool! Is it a Max? They've been made in Buffalo for over 40yrs. They're not fast but holy k-rap can they go over or through anything! It's possible the ATV manufacturer may recommend something different (more robust), but typical Briggs spec would be 10w30 or 5w30 synthetic. I too would go 5w40 for your temp ranges.

vehicle_splash1.png

Joel

Thanks for all of your input. My 6x6 is an Argo, similar to the Max. I've heard that the 18hp Vanguard is a sound engine, but can be finicky to start and idle from day one, and runs hot compared to the 23hp version. So, I'm trying to determine the best maintenance from oil change #1. Briggs does spec 10W-30W, or 5W-30W synthetic, but my buddies suggested I look into 0W-40W synthetic, thinking it might be better protection on a hot-running, air-cooled motor run at lower speeds, from summer to snow. Thanks.

Don't wait 8 hours for the first change ... change it after just two. 2nd change after another 3-4 hours run time. Use a 10W-30 mineral oil for these short runs ... and will be fine.

Then, at the 6+ hour mark you can go to the recommended 50 hour intervals. Any of the 5W-40 HDEOs sound good. If it was consistently a bit warmer, I'd try a 15W-40 (Chevron Delo or Pennzoil) and save the $$$.

"Don't wait 8 hours for the first change ... change it after just two."

Why?

Do you know something that the manufacturer doesn't?

I've bought numerous engines brand new and have always done the initial oil change as per manufacturers specifications. Never had a problem with one.

Unnecessary oil changes are just that. Unnecessary. Follow manufacturers recommendations and your engine will serve you well.

As for shortening the first oci I agree. You can never get the debris out too soon. I would just use a hd30w that does not cost too much, do it at 2 hours, and 8 hours after that. I would not change the filter until the 3rd oil change. That engine has full pressure lube, a bypass valve, and a cast iron cylinder so a multi vis would be cool all the time. I say rotella 10w30. The vanguard also has roller crank bearings. One of the best air cooled under 30hp out there.

P.S. yall should see the oil from a customers unit that missed its first oil change. Even by only 25hrs or so. We call it stripper glitter, and gray is not my favorite color for oil in something new.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
As for shortening the first oci I agree. You can never get the debris out too soon. I would just use a hd30w that does not cost too much, do it at 2 hours, and 8 hours after that. I would not change the filter until the 3rd oil change. That engine has full pressure lube, a bypass valve, and a cast iron cylinder so a multi vis would be cool all the time. I say rotella 10w30. The vanguard also has roller crank bearings. One of the best air cooled under 30hp out there.

P.S. yall should see the oil from a customers unit that missed its first oil change. Even by only 25hrs or so. We call it stripper glitter, and gray is not my favorite color for oil in something new.

I fully disagree. Sounds like fear mongering to move product.

If a manufacturer recommends a 5 hour run time for the first oil change in a splash lube engine, why wouldn't an engine with an oil filter be able to handle the same period of time?

Is there a possibility that the manufacturer might know what they're talking about when it comes to initial oil changes?

Unnecessary oil changes are not only wasteful, it is environmentally unsound. Recommendation to do so is obviously a typical response to encourage the purchase of more product.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations, keep your money in your pocket and help reduce oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
660mag said:

I fully disagree. Sounds like fear mongering to move product.

If a manufacturer recommends a 5 hour run time for the first oil change in a splash lube engine, why wouldn't an engine with an oil filter be able to handle the same period of time?

Is there a possibility that the manufacturer might know what they're talking about when it comes to initial oil changes?

Unnecessary oil changes are not only wasteful, it is environmentally unsound. Recommendation to do so is obviously a typical response to encourage the purchase of more product.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations, keep your money in your pocket and help reduce oil consumption.

I'm sorry you so much disagree with my statement. I only have 5000+ hrs of repair and tlc experience with air cooled engines collected over the last 5 yrs, as well as running my own green industry co. for 8. You almost seem angry over 2 extra quarts of oil and a 7dolor oil filter. I hope your not.

I do know that on my last two brand-new, zero hour OPE purchases, one powered by a Kohler Command 20 V-twin, the other a Courage 20 twin, after doing the initial oil changes around 10hrs, I found a very tiny flake or two of visible wear metals in the filter media of both machines. This was after cutting open the filters and spreading out the media. Could there be minute stuff passing the media? I suppose.

On a machine equipped with a filter, I do believe it's not very critical to change oil on the extreme end of early, but I'll admit I like to get my own stuff in there around the 10hr mark for a filter equipped engine. On tiny stuff with no filter, I'll change oil after it's first used 'till hot use.

Joel

Not angry. Just a little irritated with recommendations for absolutely unnecessary oil changes.

I appreciate the fact that you have experience in the field. On the other hand, I also know that it's ingrained in dealers to tell people to do stuff to spend money. Preferably at their business.

I have thousands of hours owning/operating/maintaining/rebuilding OPE, motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile and outboard engines.

I've bought numerous four cycle powered machines brand new. Four Suzuki powered ATVS, one Yamaha 750cc in line four, one BMW 1000 cc twin, two riding mowers with twin cylinder air cooled engines, gasoline powered and diesel powered generators. All bought new and those that I still own are running well, no oil consumption and some are over 30 years old. I followed the manufacturers recommended oil change intervals including initial. No problems.

So why dismiss the manufacturers instructions just to waste money, time and oil on more than one oil change to get the grit out of the engine? Completely unnecessary.

I followed the manufacturers recommended oil change intervals including initial. No problems.

So why dismiss the manufacturers instructions just to waste money, time and oil on more than one oil change to get the grit out of the engine? Completely unnecessary.

After reading all the back and forth, it looks to me that the two of you are in agreement when you get right down to it.

At least your not at the level of mad. I surely agree that the oem knows what there doing with everything, marketing included. But extra service adds to the cost of ownership, and they don't like that. To say "not necessary" I'm with ya. But a total total waste I fail to see eye to eye with you. It was a post from the posture of "If it were mine". What would you say about an oil change only 40 hrs after the 3rd one. My dad told me it's always better the error on the side of caution when it comes to service. I too have never bombed an engine.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

I followed the manufacturers recommended oil change intervals including initial. No problems.

After reading all the back and forth, it looks to me that the two of you are in agreement when you get right down to it.

the top post was not mine, must have hit the wrong button when trying to quote.

"What would you say about an oil change only 40 hrs after the 3rd one. My dad told me it's always better the error on the side of caution when it comes to service. I too have never bombed an engine."

I believe in proper maintenance. When you own as many machines as I do, maintenance is a constant process and one soon learns what's necessary and what's not. For instance, this summer I'll be changing oil on two riding mowers, two ATVs, one Honda Valkyrie, one Kawasaki KLR650, one diesel power plant, one push mower and one rototiller. At least that's what can remember needs being done. I'll also be changing oil in the transmission of at least two 2 stroke motorcycles.

If I were to follow the advice of the "lubrication obsessed", I'd be in a constant oil change cycle.

If people have one or two machines and want to change their oil as often as they change their socks, that's up to them. But to suggest that people change oil just to feel safe, is misguided advice.

Follow the manufacturers instructions and sleep well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back