Broken wheel stud 92 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided it was time to switch over my winter tires for my summers ones. Was on the last tire, and I was using a breaker bar with a 19mm impact socket on the end to tighter the lug nuts. I was getting to the end of one of the lug nuts and the stud just snapped off the car. It was kind of surprising since I wasn't really putting that much torch on the lug yet and this stud is supposed to support quite a bit of weight on it, and it broke with ease. The car in question is a 92 Accord, and the stud broke on the front driver side wheel, how big of a job is this to fix? Should I be worried about the other studs?

Thanks

2w7qr9u.gif

The 92 had the rotor sandwiched in the hub?? If so what a pain to do.

Either way u got to take the rotor off to get to the stud and just knock out the old one and knock in the new one

You can either press out the old and press in a new.

Personally, I would just replace the hub assembly.

Working on the assumption that your car was the past victim of some moron with an impact wrench, I'd check all four studs, on all four wheels. Take a good look for stretched/odd looking threads near the hub end. Also, you can hand thread the lugs all the way down to the hub (wheels removed) and if any don't thread perfectly, you've probably got a stretched stud with distorted threads. If you find more than one more, I'd personally get paranoid and replace every darn one of them. Hope it doesn't come to that. Good luck.

If it is the style where the rotor is pressed onto the hub, its a big job. Will need a shop to do it.

I've done this same exact thing except on a 91 Accord. It's really labor intensive and requires removing the steering knuckle. If you've done the rotors on this car, you can fix this relatively easily (same procedure as rotors), but if you don't know how to replace the rotors you would be better off taking it to a shop. The bearing/hub/rotor assembly on these cars is probably the worst design you can ever think of. However, if you have the tools and probably a good 4-6 hours it's not as hard as you think. Otherwise take it to a shop and they can definitely fix it.

Edit: While you're in there I'd go ahead and replace the 3 other studs, because it'll only take a couple more minutes extra. You can get studs at the honda dealership, and make sure you get new lug nuts too. At least get a new lug nut for the new lug if you only replace that one.

Last edited:
MATCO sells the tool to press those hubs off on car. I had it but sold it when I stopped wrenching at Sears. Let the whole job be done in under an hour.

Originally Posted By: jimwards17
I've done this same exact thing except on a 91 Accord. It's really labor intensive and requires removing the steering knuckle. If you've done the rotors on this car, you can fix this relatively easily (same procedure as rotors), but if you don't know how to replace the rotors you would be better off taking it to a shop. The bearing/hub/rotor assembly on these cars is probably the worst design you can ever think of. However, if you have the tools and probably a good 4-6 hours it's not as hard as you think. Otherwise take it to a shop and they can definitely fix it.

Edit: While you're in there I'd go ahead and replace the 3 other studs, because it'll only take a couple more minutes extra. You can get studs at the honda dealership, and make sure you get new lug nuts too. At least get a new lug nut for the new lug if you only replace that one.

Hmm I just spoke with a mechanic I send my cars to sometimes and he says that I just have to remove the caliper and the studs just pop out without the removal of the rotors or the wheel hub

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord

Hmm I just spoke with a mechanic I send my cars to sometimes and he says that I just have to remove the caliper and the studs just pop out without the removal of the rotors or the wheel hub

On some cars, yes. But when the rotor is pressed onto the hub, it is not an easy job. Hondas, in general, you cannot replace studs without putting a hub bearing in. Not enough room to hammer them in/out without hitting the knuckle. Silly design, really.

At least get a new lug nut for the new lug if you only replace that one.

I suspect this will be easy advice to take as the old lug nut will still have a sheared off chunk of stud blocking its threads.
wink.gif

Yeah they do have the tool that will allow u to pull the hub and replace it. If ur bearing is in good condition its not that bad of a job.
If ur bearing is original theni would advise u to pick one up take the whole knuckle off go to a machine shop have them press u on a new bearing new stud. U then come backand reinstall the knuckle and live happily ever after

If I am not mistaken, Honda calls for 70 ft-lb of torque on lug nut. I really don't see the reason to use a breaker bar to tighten them up. Use the breaker bar to take the nuts off but not for putting them back on. It is best to use a torque wrench but if you do not have it, just use the provided dinky little wrench by the manufacturer. Its size limits the torque applied unless you jump on it to tighten it. Don't do that!

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back