TDI ADDITIVES

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a TDI jetta 2004.

I read that the fuel ran in these things needs to have about 50 Cetane rating.

Also that if using lower quality fuel there are additives to add to the fuel to fix the cetane problem

What are these additives? Thanks !

I like to run a maintenance dose of a rotation of adds. Redline DFC, RL 85+, lubromoly, power service, 2-cycle TCW3, etc.

I like Howes Diesel Treat but will usually settle for my witches' brew of TC-W3, Power Service & Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst (all purchased on deep sale & mixed together).

There is no 50 cetane index diesel fuel in the U.S. as far as I know. It will be 40 or 41. You can buy your choice of cetane improver in any shop that sells fuel additives...try a couple--one at a time for several tankfuls--and see what works best in your engine. The biodiesel fuel adds lubricity, a good thing, and has a higher cetane index, but a coupl'a percent in your fuel won't help the cetane that much. You'll probably find multi-purpose additives that boost cetane, add lubricity, keep the system clean, and other benefits. In the winter you'll want one that includes prevention of fuel gelling.

By the way, do you know that the cetane index is the measure of the fuel's ignition delay? Higher cetane means less delay from the time of beginning of injection to beginning of ignition.

Ok i got some questions....

I went today and bought some power service at napa as i was getting every filter possible on this thing anyway since i bought it used...

When you guys say TC-3W are you reffering to 2 stroke Oil?

If so i like this idea to add lubrication to the fuel system...

For this tank i think i will add about 6 oz of Power service Next tank i will buy some 2 stroke oil (TC-3W) and mix that with some power service for the next tank...

How much 2 stroke oil do you add per gallon ? I have a 15 gallon tank.......

Thanks guys!!!

I'd under-dose at first if using it with another fuel additive. Try 4 ounces for now and perhaps double that without other additives.

Originally Posted By: SIURXP
Ok i got some questions....

I went today and bought some power service at napa as i was getting every filter possible on this thing anyway since i bought it used...

When you guys say TC-3W are you reffering to 2 stroke Oil?

If so i like this idea to add lubrication to the fuel system...

For this tank i think i will add about 6 oz of Power service Next tank i will buy some 2 stroke oil (TC-3W) and mix that with some power service for the next tank...

How much 2 stroke oil do you add per gallon ? I have a 15 gallon tank.......

Thanks guys!!!

Using both Power Service and TC-W3? Could try one for a while, then the other, see which feels/sounds better? TC-W3 won't help with water, cetane boost. Not sure how well it cleans compared to a dedicated diesel additive.

200:1 is a common ratio, so that would be 9.6 oz (9 or 10 would be fine) for 15 gallons.

A normal fill is probably closer to 12 gallons, so 8 oz on re-fills.

You don't need both, and most VW TDI drivers use nothing except pump fuel. Power Service or any good diesel fuel multi-purpose additive is all you need. It does it all when used according to label directions.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
1-2% biodiesel is your best additive.

X2...Biodiesel is a fantastic additive and a great alternative fuel.

Originally Posted By: SIURXP
I just purchased a TDI jetta 2004.

I read that the fuel ran in these things needs to have about 50 Cetane rating.

Also that if using lower quality fuel there are additives to add to the fuel to fix the cetane problem

What are these additives? Thanks !

The Euro standard for diesel is 49 cetane minimum.

You can buy Stanadyne One Shot All Season at the dealership. It's quite costly and contains anti-gel (the reason for the TSB... gelling in winter).

Powerservice, readily available at Wal-Mart:
Diesel Kleen (silver bottle) which is loaded with cetane improvers
Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) which sacrifaces some cetane improvers for anti-gel

Originally Posted By: Striker
How's the Redline Diesel Catalyst product for TDI's, any hands on experience?

Used it off and on over the years, always could feel the difference (using it at the ratio that bumps cetane the most). A popular and "trusted" additive, like all things Redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back