Is Amsoil Playing with Me??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

While I agree, they don't care. I don't even think taking a seminar is required. You are now the third person I've read about this week who won't use Amsoil because of one of their dealers. Amsoil has a rep on another board that must jump into every thread to plug Amsoil, so much so that people won't use the product because of him, and have mentioned it in threads. Two of the members post here or have posted here. I won't join the site as a result of him. You'd think Amsoil would monitor these boards and warn dealers, or send them their $35 back and fire them! LOL They don't and it appears they won't. Bad dealers can hurt a product, and this dealer on the other board has proven it just by the comments of others who won't use the product as a result of him. It's a shame for the most part it has a great rep and some good products. Amsoil would do better if they watched their dealers online actions a bit, or send them here for lessons. JMO

Amsoil does care. And can and does terminate relationships. If that board is being ruined by some crazed sponsor, why doesn't the board ban him? Amsoil has rules and they have enforcement policies. But they don't have the personnel to watch EVERY chat site on the internet - that's impossible. Amsoil can't ban dealers from being site sponsors - well I guess they could, but that would be insane.

The simple fact is that the Amsoil model does work. Look at the size of the company now. I think it's up to the boards to keep unruly sponsors of ANY product in check. In fact - the market seems to working. As you guys state, these jokers are turning people off. Yes it does give Amsoil a black eye. I wish I had a simple remedy. I will start a dialog with Amsoil HQ and see where it goes.

We need to think outside the web for a minute - many more oil sales are made or lost outside our little sphere than inside. Castrol stays pro because of some doofiss with a dipstick, many oils are pushed by knowledgeable sales staff oil experts at any given auto parts store or Target or Walmart. And frankly the masses have never heard of or don't care about Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc They just buy the jingle in the head or what they guess is best, with not a lot of input.

BITOG for lessons? That's funny!!

Not sure why he is not Banned. Im not the only one that complains about him. I do know he is a site sponsor. I do know he is a cash contributor. Maybe they are giving him leeway on that aspect? Most Guys on the other forums don't know anything about oil to know better anway. They don't know better to complain. I have. Thats all I can say.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I think he was banned here, otherwise he'd be in every thread that mentions the word oil. People have actually posted there they'd never use Amsoil because of him, reading the threads I can see why.

Tim Vipond? That guys spams the [censored] out of numerous message boards, and has a bad attitude about it.

That boy...........irritates me.

Yes that's him, I just had a look over there. He is flat out annoying. I don't think it has anything to do with extended drains or the Amsoil concept, it is his constant scanning and jumping in with an Amsoil product that gets people twisted I think. His product is the very best and nothing else will work attitude.

Then he was fighting people for using a UCL like TCW3, because car makers are against it. LOL. There are other things car makers are against too, so he's sort of a hypocrite IMO, but I won't go there. It's people like him Amsoil should talk with because when members of sites are complaining amongst themselves it is hurting the product. But then again who am I to say? Funny, myself, Ben, ADFD1, Trajan, and you Pablo are fully aware and annoyed by him, I bet there are hundreds of others too. Not good for the Amsoil image, rules or not. JMO

According to him, use of TC-W3 isn't recommended by any auto maker. So it shouldn't be used. Neither is Amsoil's PI. Or for that matter any Amsoil product AFAIK. (BMW does have a TSB that says you should use their fuel system cleaner if you don't use Top Tier fuel. (rebadged Techron))

So by his logic, their products should not be used either.

Thankfully his type is in the minority.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Originally Posted By: Pablo

While I agree, they don't care. I don't even think taking a seminar is required. You are now the third person I've read about this week who won't use Amsoil because of one of their dealers. Amsoil has a rep on another board that must jump into every thread to plug Amsoil, so much so that people won't use the product because of him, and have mentioned it in threads. Two of the members post here or have posted here. I won't join the site as a result of him. You'd think Amsoil would monitor these boards and warn dealers, or send them their $35 back and fire them! LOL They don't and it appears they won't. Bad dealers can hurt a product, and this dealer on the other board has proven it just by the comments of others who won't use the product as a result of him. It's a shame for the most part it has a great rep and some good products. Amsoil would do better if they watched their dealers online actions a bit, or send them here for lessons. JMO

Amsoil does care. And can and does terminate relationships. If that board is being ruined by some crazed sponsor, why doesn't the board ban him? Amsoil has rules and they have enforcement policies. But they don't have the personnel to watch EVERY chat site on the internet - that's impossible. Amsoil can't ban dealers from being site sponsors - well I guess they could, but that would be insane.

The simple fact is that the Amsoil model does work. Look at the size of the company now. I think it's up to the boards to keep unruly sponsors of ANY product in check. In fact - the market seems to working. As you guys state, these jokers are turning people off. Yes it does give Amsoil a black eye. I wish I had a simple remedy. I will start a dialog with Amsoil HQ and see where it goes.

We need to think outside the web for a minute - many more oil sales are made or lost outside our little sphere than inside. Castrol stays pro because of some doofiss with a dipstick, many oils are pushed by knowledgeable sales staff oil experts at any given auto parts store or Target or Walmart. And frankly the masses have never heard of or don't care about Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc They just buy the jingle in the head or what they guess is best, with not a lot of input.

BITOG for lessons? That's funny!!

Not sure why he is not Banned. Im not the only one that complains about him. I do know he is a site sponsor. I do know he is a cash contributor. Maybe they are giving him leeway on that aspect? Most Guys on the other forums don't know anything about oil to know better anway. They don't know better to complain. I have. Thats all I can say.

Jeff

They are giving him leeway meaning who? Amsoil, or Noria? Seems he's getting it from both parties. I could see if Noria is getting cash from him they'd cut him slack. But it appears just by this thread there are a few people sick of his antics, and he's not doing Amsoil any good. If anyone should drop the hammer it should be Amsoil, it's their name he's hurting. JMO

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Tim is/was a [removed] ex-Shell fuels employee. He is a very sharp individual but has absolutely no sales tact and as for as I know, never had any marketing training. Just the technical fuels business. Explains a lot of why he is the way he is.

To meet him in person he is actually a pretty nice guy.

Hi Johnny. I was never a Shell fuels employee, but I understand the confusion. When I was the Shell Answer Man for Solvents, I did help a customer formulate a non flammable gasoline to be kept in the trunk of a car to be used in the event the driver ran out of gasoline. It was sold under the name of Spare Tank Emergency Fuel for years. You might remember that Pennzoil came out with their Fix a Flat version a bit later.

I was also the production manager for Shell's Shell 405 rocket fuel catalyst used in several systems in the Space Shuttles, Mars missions, satellites, and other exploratory missions as well as in the Emergency Power Units in all F-16 fighter jets and U2 spy planes. I later transferred that technology over to Pablo's employer and have consulted for them since.

I enjoyed my time at Shell and enjoying my Shell pension, voluntary severance package and health benefits which are a God send with my current battle with nearly fatal cancer. After several surgeries and 6 months of chemo, I am doing well.

With my motorhome, I buy more Shell gasoline than anyone I know because I feel it is the best on the market today.

My AMSOIL business is doing well. I made Direct Jobber in just a few years, made Premier shortly after. Cancer slowed me down last year, but my sales are at record levels and expect to make the next level soon. I signed up 3 more oil change/repair shops today.

I miss our conversations and hope you are doing well.

Last edited:
Tim, I think I am speaking for all of us here, I am so happy to hear you are doing well after all you have been through with your illness. That is something that affects all families unfortunately and its good to hear you are doing well.
thumbsup2.gif
It amazes me how they can put a man on the moon but not find a cure for cancer. Just boggles the miind. So Happy to hear your doing well, just can't say that enough.

Also, thank you for taking the time to come to the post and express your opinions as well. I wanted to ask
32.gif
if it would be ok? Fuel. What is the deal with the Nitrogen in the new Shell V-Power. All I know is my car lost power when I had it tuned on Shell V power vs Texaco Prem. I realize that there are many variables, but when I frist tuned my car on Shell about 5 yrs ago, I made more power then, then now on the new V-Power. So I data logged my car going to all the local stations and the Texaco showed the least amount of knock. I found this odd since Chevron showed knock and I thought those 2 brands were the same? Are the variables as such, that fuel now a days is so inconsistant that it comes down primarily to how good the station itself is maintained? Or can you give us more info on why you feel Shell is the best fuel out on the market today.

Thank You for your time, and again, VERY good to hear you are doing well.

Jeff

Last edited:
Tim, I think I am speaking for all of us here, I am so happy to hear you are doing well after all you have been through with your illness. That is something that affects all families unfortunately and its good to hear you are doing well.
thumbsup2.gif
It amazes me how they can put a man on the moon but not find a cure for cancer. Just boggles the miind. So Happy to hear your doing well, just can't say that enough.
Thanks Jeff. In my case, it is extremely rare. Only about 3 cases of my muscinous, signet cell, appendiceal, adenocarcinoma is diagnosed a year in the US. So rare, they don't know what causes it, and don't know the cure. At my Stage 3C, I was given a 7% survival rate for 5 years with the surgeries and chemo. Since I have made it a little over a year, my survival rate is now 30%. I am doing very well with no signs of cancer, are carefully monitoring, and think I will be around for a long time. I had no symptoms, a routine colonoscopy found cancer before it was too late. If you are over 50, please get this done. It could save your life as it did mine.

Also, thank you for taking the time to come to the post and express your opinions as well. I wanted to ask
32.gif
if it would be ok? Fuel. What is the deal with the Nitrogen in the new Shell V-Power.
As I mentioned before, I am not an expert in gasoline. I do know that Shell does a good job refining at my local refineries. And that the Nitrogen is an amine detergent that can attach itself to carbon and other engine contaminants and pull them off the engine where they can be combusted. More info at http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/shell_vpower/about_vpower/
All I know is my car lost power when I had it tuned on Shell V power vs Texaco Prem. I realize that there are many variables, but when I frist tuned my car on Shell about 5 yrs ago, I made more power then, then now on the new V-Power. So I data logged my car going to all the local stations and the Texaco showed the least amount of knock. I found this odd since Chevron showed knock and I thought those 2 brands were the same? Are the variables as such, that fuel now a days is so inconsistant that it comes down primarily to how good the station itself is maintained?
Most of the different brands of refined gasoline in your area likely come from the same gasoline terminal. The gasoline could be from a Shell or other refinery. The difference is each brand of gasoline has a unique additive package that is added at the terminal as it is loaded into the fuel trucks. Your vehicle may prefer a different additive package. When the truck is unloaded at a gas station, generally a low octane gasoline goes in one tank, and a high octane gasoline goes into another tank. Either or both tanks could be contaminated with water. The tank gas is then blended at the pump for the mid octane gas. The pumps themselves should have filtration systems that might or might not be working well. There can be enough variables between additive packages, delivery trucks, gas station storage tanks, and gasoline pumps that I can see where you may notice differences every time you fill with gas.
Or can you give us more info on why you feel Shell is the best fuel out on the market today.
For me and my vehicles, I feel Shell is the best as I have worked at their refineries and know Shell doesn't cut corners in quality and equipment. Shell does gasoline research at the Westhollow Technology Center in Houston where I worked, so I know it is formulated and tested locally in conditions I drive in. Shell gasoline is a Top Tier gasoline as determined by independent testing. Shell gas stations in my area are very modern and have high traffic which insures no old fuel. If you have a concern about your local Shell gas, you can contact them at Phone: 888-GO-SHELL (888-467-4355) or Shell U.S. Switchboard: 713-241-6161 (all Shell U.S. companies) .

I hope this helps.

Thanks Tim yes it does help
smile.gif
There is a gas distributor in my area close to my house called "Sellers Protoleum" where all the gas comes in, I would think that buying gas from them would be the "freshest" in town? haha. But they don't sell a "branded" gas. When I asked what is in the tanks the manager told me the name but I forgot the name, but I do remember he said it was a generic version of 76. They used to be a 76 station but went private because the fees to 76 were getting too high. Anway, they are the "hub" for my area. It does seem that my car likes the additive pack in Texaco, or it could just be as you stated, just better maintained trucks and station. I can imagine many variables in the transportation of fuel. With all the earthquakes here in CA, you would think that they would check the tanks for contamination more often. But then again, maybe they do?

Jeff

Jeff,

As Tim said, the nitrogen is in the PEA, polyetheramine, used in the additive package. Chevron and Texaco also use PEA in their additive package. It's just a stupid marketing campaign. They should have used: Now Contains Hydrogen! It would be just as meaningless, but I bet people would have been all over it.

Ed

I think that all gas tanks installed are double walled and may have monitors that alert if a tank is leaking. I know that at one time a huge number of underground gas station tanks were leaking back in the days before ethanol was used as an oxygenate. MTBE was pre ethanol and when gasoline and MTBE leaked out, the naturally occurring bacteria would degrade the gasoline, but could not degrade MTBE. MTBE would find its way into ground water and drinking water sources where it would be detected by smell, taste and analysis. It was then discovered that these gasoline tanks were leaking, and that ethanol would be a better choice as bacteria could degrade that.

The point is that if gas and ethanol can leak out, water can leak in and contaminate gas and reduce performance.

Because many tanks leaked and had to be replaced, many of the small gas stations could not afford the expense and went out of business. The more profitable stations will dig up their tanks and/or pumps and replace. You may have seen this from time to time.

An interesting sidebar to this is that I got to develop bacteria that could degrade MTBE that could be injected into contaminated sites to remediate them.

Tim,

I see you are not excepting PM's. If you want, PM me your email address if you would like to communicate. I had your email address in my old PC but it died and I lost everything.

Johnny

32.gif

I really never realized how variance there is in gas until I bought my current car and started tuning it. I guess when you have your car in a threshold of very little tolerance for error it is more suptable to potential problems. In this case knock.

Tuning is a a "trial and error" type of thing. I won't go too deaply into it since this is not a tuning blog, but when you try to extract the most out of your car in the performance aspect, there are generally only 2 ways to make power in my car. Add timing, add boost. Both are relative, but it makes the car more sensitive to fuel quality. I data log my Car quite often, and I don't like to see knock counts over 2. When I use brand A gas vs brand B gas, you can see the difference in the knock sum. You never hear anything, you don't really notice anything, but the car notices. I am just curious since the gas itself is pipe lined in, then the additives are added in separately, in theory all gas itself is the same? Also, wouldn't fuels containing more Ethanol be better for a car prone to knock? I have seen Ethanol at some stations as high as 10% in some places, but 5% in others. So is that part of the additive package? My tuner told me to stick with a gas that is high in Ethanol, like 76 because they generally have the 10%. My car hated it and knocked bad (noted on computer, not heard) but when I run Texaco it was greatly reduced, while Chevron made it knock? Its just confusing. I do like the whole E85 idea. Less dependancy on oil and an octane rating of 110 or so. Less MPG's but More HP's haha. Now if they only had a station by my house that sold the stuff.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks for the Link Tim, I will check it out. So from what your saying my idea of storing E85 in my home for a monthly run to the station that is 40 miles away would be a bad idea based on the fact that it most likely would be contaminated by the time I get around to using it?

I had a crazy plan to buy about 10 5 gallon metal drums, you know the type that VP Race Fuel is sold in, that type of tin container. I would use about 10 gallons a week, then fill them all up monthly. I wanted to do this so I can have my Evo Tuned on E85 which will net me about 80whp over pump 91. Yes you read that right, 80whp!! Too much of a chance of contanimation?

Jeff

When you get up to 85% ethanol, storage and increase horsepower, you better ask someone more knowledgeable than me. I'm not up on 85% ethanol. You might ask your vehicle manufacturer or fuel company.

People can say what they want about Amsoil. It is a very good oil.
I have a 493 mopar with 750hp. I break it in with Brad Penn 30wt breakin oil
On the dyno. Then I put in Amsoil MCV 20w50 motorcycle oil.
After 12,000 miles I had the motor freshened. It had little to zero wear.
The bearings still looked brand new. I'm sold.

There's no reason for the Fuel to degrade if it is stored in an airtight container. A pinch of fuel stabilizer and it should be good to go for a long time.

We've discussed this to death around here due to the Middle East being inflamed. If it interrupts our fuel supply we are OUT of business!

Jeff I feel your pain when it comes to tuning on E85 and to make things more challenging I'm using a piggy back (AEM FIC). I figured that if I stayed with the same station, I could limit the fluctuations. So annoying when the tune tolerances are so small and you go overly rich or lean. For medium dist trips I take a 5gal container with me and for long I just baby the car back and always carry my netbook with me to make changes on the fly.

What mods and power are you putting down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back