Cleaning Plastic Exterior Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, here's my 303 pic. Purchased this grill cover new. Applied 303 day of purchase. This is probably 3-4 months later. So, tell me again how great 303 is and let's see your pics!

DSCF1083.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
So, here's my 303 pic. Purchased this grill cover new. Applied 303 day of purchase. This is probably 3-4 months later. So, tell me again how great 303 is and let's see your pics!

DSCF1083.jpg

My grill cover is like yours but green in color. I used no protection product on it at all and 1 years later it is still green. Not sure what is going on with your cover but it should not be that faded in 3-4 months even sitting outside. You sure it is not 3-4 years?

I'm 100% this is not 3-4 years. Okay, maybe this is more like 7 or 8 months but the cover was already looking like this after 3-4 months. This is Florida sun and 303.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
I've been using Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus lately and really like the product, problem is it's expensive. 303 is good stuff, but doesn't last all that long.

I just bought some last week and used it on black vinyl side cladding and bumper cover trim.Really looks great when done.Nice rich satin shine on the black vinyl.
May be expensive but cheap in the long run if it lasts.I've read reviews and it does last.We'll see.

I use 303 only on the interior.

I think it's more of an issue to excessive direct sunlight and rain on outside treated surfaces. FWIW, I believe 303's strength is best for interior but that can be said about most(if not all) products in this market in question.

Otherwise, perhaps something else to work as a 'seal' for what 303 does cleaning/restoration wise would be in order for examples like the 'grill cover' posted above?

DSCF1083.jpg

I have never seen anything last in the FL sun. Exteriors of homes fade as do automotive paints and grill covers. Been traveling to FL since '68 and it's no different today as it was back then. That's why it's called the Sunshine State!

I really love all the excuses you guys come up with. I guess none of the below applies to my case. I guess I need an SPF 50.

Here's what is on the 303 site:
303 is THE LEADER in UV Screening Technology. 303 Aerospace Protectant really is like "SPF 40 Sunscreen ... For Your Stuff."

Here's some places for use:
Vinyl: Convertible tops (and the clear vinyl windows), isinglass, marine seating, tonneau covers, car bras, covers, spa covers, pool covers. Inflatable boats: Hypalon, PVC and urethane blends

DSCF1083.jpg

You applied 303 3-4 months ago or 7-8 months ago (?) ONCE and expected it to work for the duration? Don't expect much out of it do you? What a ridiculous expectation. In all honesty I don't see anything wrong with the cover.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

You applied 303 3-4 months ago or 7-8 months ago (?) ONCE and expected it to work for the duration? Don't expect much out of it do you? What a ridiculous expectation. In all honesty I don't see anything wrong with the cover.

You are 100% right. Completely my wrong. I should have applied it weekly. Daily would have been better.

Last edited:
i'm proud to say that my mirrors look brand new again thanks to Penetrol. that stuff works!
34.gif

i've yet to buy 303 because it's only sold in one store near me. next time i make it out that way i will pick some up and use it on the interior i guess

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Back to Black works great.
Don't waste you money on 303 (um, snakeoil).

I hope this is a joke,
back to black is one of the lamest products i have tried in the trim category - a few drives in the rain, and back to "not black"!
- 303 is a far superior product, although I think it has its strength more in preserving and maintaining/protecting than in "rejuvenation".

You have actually tried back to black and you're trying to make a claim that 303 is superior? It's obvious you never tried back to black or the joke is on you for continued use of 303. I applied back to black after washing my vehicle on 4/18. It's been through 2 car washes, multiple rain storms and Florida heat and sun. Here's a pic I took today. The black trim still has an oily feel today almost exactly as it was on 4/18 when I applied. The left side I wiped with a paper towel and the right is just accumulated dust with finger prints which is one thing back to black causes more of. Would sure like to see some 303 pics after a month on your trim.

DSCF1590.jpg

I just tried Meguiar's new Ultimate Protectant Dash & Trim Restorer and I'm totally blown away by this stuff. It not only cleans plastic trim but it also protects it. It's kinda like a cleaner wax for trim.

The shiney, smooth textured, exterior trim pieces get waxed. For the other stuff try some forever black or show room new, these are dyes and will take care of it and outlast any silicone dressing (303, back 2 black, armorall, etc).
25.gif

A product I use occasionally is Forever Black. This is a black dye, so the trim must be black and expect it to last alot longer than any dressings.

I use it on all black plastic trim pieces on my truck. I usually reapply every 6 months or so. This works really well for the mirrors, door handles, and my line-x liner.

Here's penetrol that was put on over a year ago on a compost bin in my yard.

The plastic has weathered probably 11 summers, and I applied a penetrol test section probably 18 month ago.

You can see the bit under the "lid" which is protected from U.V.

I've used it on my Nissan's plastic bumper trim, and to "replace" clearcoat that's fallen off.

Bondo Restore Black (I found it at walmart in the body repair aisle, if I remember correctly) works good on black plastic, it has black pigment in it.
Other plastic, like the fender flares and bumper trim on my Nissan Frontier, which are gray, I have found recently that Maxima SC1 works great. Lasted through 2 washes, and 2 weeks of sitting outside so far. It's for motorcycles and stuff, but I used it on the plastic trim and headlights. Leaves a nice slick surface that seems to repel dust and all that good stuff...
http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Bondo Restore Black (I found it at walmart in the body repair aisle, if I remember correctly) works good on black plastic, it has black pigment in it.
Other plastic, like the fender flares and bumper trim on my Nissan Frontier, which are gray, I have found recently that Maxima SC1 works great. Lasted through 2 washes, and 2 weeks of sitting outside so far. It's for motorcycles and stuff, but I used it on the plastic trim and headlights. Leaves a nice slick surface that seems to repel dust and all that good stuff...
http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36

Yes, I have a small bottle from W*M too! I use it on faded grained black plastic such as the black body side moldings on older cars, plastic cowel cover near the windshield wipers and lower chin spoiler area(near the ground) on the front fascia of a vehicle. WORKS GREAT!

I even use it on my SIL's Black BMW Z4 lower chin area, where she parked too close to a concrete curb stop in a parking space. The Bondo Restore Black is like Color in a Bottle!

Last edited:
Forever Black is the best and longest lasting stuff I've used on the black, exterior trim pieces...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back