UAL 497 Crew - WELL DONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
As a former UAL A-320 Driver, I can tell you that a fly-by-wire jet with electrical failure (or electric fire in this case) is a worst-case scenario. Loss of all instruments, degraded/failed flight controls...

This particular event took place with the airplane in the clouds. As they flew a jet with no instrumens, the crew asked for and recieved a PAR (standard military close-controlled approach, an emergency procdure in an airliner). They landed over the maximum weight (no fuel jetison on the -320, and with a fire, you wouldn't take the time to jettison anyway) and they landed with failing brakes (brake by wire too) and inoperative nosewheel steering (yep, you guessed it, steering on the ground is by wire too...).

ALL PASSENGERS AND CREW WERE SAFE. NO ONE WAS HURT. WELL DONE!
11.gif

Here's the story from the news:
A United Airlines Airbus A320-200, registration N409UA performing flight UA-497 from New Orleans,LA to San Francisco,CA (USA) with 109 people on board, was in the initial climb when the crew reported smoke in the cockpit, levelled off at 5000 feet and returned to New Orleans. The crew reported before joining downwind that they had lost all instruments. The crew descended to 600 feet where they got visual contact with the water and continued visually for a landing on runway 19 about 10 minutes after departure, blew a tyre, but went left off the runway, stopped just off the paved surface with all gear north of the intersection with runway 10/28, and was evacuated via slides.

A number of passengers needed medical attention due to smoke inhalation.

The crew told passengers that they had lost all electronics and were flying on minimal backup systems, landing would occur overweight with minimal braking and minimal steering ability.

At the time of the emergency runway 10/28 at New Orleans was not available and was closed. Frantic attempts by tower to get the runway clear during the emergency proved unsuccessful, the runway was cleared and opened about 10 minutes after UA-497 had landed.

The NTSB reported that the crew received automated warnings and observed smoke in the cockpit while climbing through 4000 feet, subsequently they reported the loss of primary instruments. Upon landing they experienced the loss of anti-skid and nose wheel steering and went off the left side of the runway about 2000 feet down the runway.

Last edited:
That was an amazing landing. The flight crew should get one heck of a bonus. Stories like this make me wish I drove something other than the 320, but it's such a great plane to fly. Have they found the cause of the fire?

I really give a lot of credit to these airline pilots. They have so many souls on board and they must maintain high brain activity just to keep the plane within normal operations--all this with little sleep. They're underpaid in my opinion.

Off-topic comment: I still trust Boeing and Canadair products for all of my flying needs. I'm still skeptical about Airbus, Embraer etc etc. For international travel, it has to be a 747, 777 with a male pilot or else I'm not flying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Popinski
For international travel, it has to be a 747, 777 with a male pilot or else I'm not flying.

1940 called, they want you back?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
it has to be a 747, 777 with a male pilot or else I'm not flying.

what's wrong with female pilots?

It's just a phobia I have. When I was little, my female childhood friend gave me a ride on her bike. It had a banana seat and it could fit two kids. She lost control and I sprained my wrist. When I was a teen, a female acquaintance crashed into a parked car. I did a temp job as a delivery man and the female driver backed into a pole when I was 22. Because of this, I get panic attacks when I see women doing something. I have this automatic thought of chivalry. Back in 2007 I took a trip to South Dakota and a woman was piloting a 737. I literally almost had a panic attack. I had to urinate 6 times because I was so nervous. According to TV, women cops are useless unless they're working with a male cop.

You guys can say anything you want but I had bad experiences with female leaders, pilots, drivers, navigators.. etc etc.. I love women but I have a hard time trusting them sometimes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cchase
For international travel, it has to be a 747, 777 with a male pilot or else I'm not flying.

1940 called, they want you back?

Would you rather fly with the proven 777 or 747 or the unproven Airbus????

It's just a phobia I have.

You should seek therapy to get over it before some sexist comment gets you in trouble.

It's just a phobia I have. When I was little, my female childhood friend gave me a ride on her bike. It had a banana seat and it could fit two kids. She lost control and I sprained my wrist. When I was a teen, a female acquaintance crashed into a parked car. I did a temp job as a delivery man and the female driver backed into a pole when I was 22. Because of this, I get panic attacks when I see women doing something. I have this automatic thought of chivalry. Back in 2007 I took a trip to South Dakota and a woman was piloting a 737. I literally almost had a panic attack. I had to urinate 6 times because I was so nervous. According to TV, women cops are useless unless they're working with a male cop.

You guys can say anything you want but I had bad experiences with female leaders, pilots, drivers, navigators.. etc etc.. I love women but I have a hard time trusting them sometimes.

Umm...what kind of authority does TV have on gender studies?

There are studies that show women are more careful drivers. And I'd rather ride in a plane flown by a competent female than an incompetent male.

That's not true. Women are horrible drivers and majority drive while talking and texting on the cell phone for unimportant reasons. That defeats the "multi-tasking" study. Of course you see more men crash; majority of men are driving. DUH.

Lastly, why would you compare an incompetent male with a competent female? Are they that close to each other?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

You should seek therapy to get over it before some sexist comment gets you in trouble.

Who said it was sexist? Truth=sexism? You need to believe that men are becoming weaker and weaker every decade. Why? Because U.S. law favors women. Men will eventually lose the race if you keep on thinking like that. There's no such thing as equality. We're basically letting women do what they want to do because men hate whining.

Astro,

Was the PAR used to place them back into VFR conditions, i.e., once they had visual contact with the water, did they continue a visual approach (PAPI or VASI referencing) to landing?

Or did they need the PAR down to the threshold?

When did this occur? I don't recall any reference to it in AW&ST online.

Also, what happened to their backup primary instruments?

"When did this occur? I don't recall any reference to it in AW&ST online."

Astro,

I just picked it up at aero-news network. Liveatc.com had some interesting recordings, as well.

That's not true. Women are horrible drivers and majority drive while talking and texting on the cell phone for unimportant reasons. That defeats the "multi-tasking" study. Of course you see more men crash; majority of men are driving. DUH.

I think reading this made some of my brain cells die.

That's not true. Women are horrible drivers and majority drive while talking and texting on the cell phone for unimportant reasons.

1. Majority? Where do you live? Around here it's definitely not majority. On top of that, I see plenty of men who text and talk while driving, too.

2. How do you know it's for unimportant reasons? Are you sitting in the car next to all these women to be able to determine that?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Who said it was sexist? Truth=sexism?

You may want to look up the definition of sexism in the dictionary. And the fact that you have expressed an opinion which is very generalizing in nature does not make it truth.

Quote:
You need to believe that men are becoming weaker and weaker every decade. Why? Because U.S. law favors women. Men will eventually lose the race if you keep on thinking like that.

There is a race going on? G_o_d forbid that a man would lose it. After all, a man is a superior human being. He should never be allowed to lose. As a matter of fact, we should just exterminate all women because they're inferior. Once we don't have to worry about women any more, we will have more time to focus on modern science so that two loving men will be able to create a baby (male of course).
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back