0W40 Instead Of 5W40 - VW 502 - Warranty Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Mobil1 has a 0W40 with VW 502.00 certs. But my 2011 VW calls for 5W40 only. 2.0 TSI. Anybody know if its going to void warranty if we use the 0W? Also, what VW/Audi models (or in what regions) is the 0W40 approved?

With 1200 miles on the motor now, I'm going to do the first oil change at about 3K. Factory OCI is 10K and all oil changes are free for 3 years.

i know with M1 0w20, it has ford 5w20 specs on the back of the bottle, id look for that for warranty concerns, but in general id say it will work just fine

Originally Posted By: The Critic
As long as the oil has VW 502 approval, it will be fine.

+1 fear not the 0w40, it is approved so it is fine. If you can't bring yourself to use it then don't.

I have 24 quarts of M1 0w40 that I picked up on awesome Black Friday sales, just after Thanksgiving. I plan to use it in our VW gassers (2008 Rabbit, 2009 Passat).

It has the 502 certification, so you shouldn't have any worries whatsoever.

I am not concerned at all and will use it for the 5k miles in between the dealer, free service.

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
I see Mobil1 has a 0W40 with VW 502.00 certs. But my 2011 VW calls for 5W40 only. 2.0 TSI. Anybody know if its going to void warranty if we use the 0W? Also, what VW/Audi models (or in what regions) is the 0W40 approved?

With 1200 miles on the motor now, I'm going to do the first oil change at about 3K. Factory OCI is 10K and all oil changes are free for 3 years.
As long as the bottle has the VW approval numbers on the bottle, which Mobil 1 0W40 has, you are good to go.

You will have no issues, warranty or otherwise, using Mobil 1 0W-40 in your VW. It is Mobil 1's highest quality formulation.

Ignore the viscosity. If it has VW 502/505, you're fine. There are 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, and 5w40s that are approved for the spec.

I would say you can buy based on viscosity if you're concerned about fuel mileage or high-temp protection (extreme weather or very aggressive driving).

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA

No where in your owners manual does it call for 5w40 only. This I know.

It does however call for a VW spec. Vw 502, 505, 506, ect. . . are all specs from VW. Whatever one your motor calls for (VW 502 in this case) is what you should use.

An oil that meets the VW 502 does not have to be 5w40. As long as the oil will do what VW wants it to do, It can be used. For example, there are 5w40, 0w40, and 0w30 oils out there that meet VW 502 spec.

I changed out my oil to M1 0w40 before I even hit 1000 miles. Im sick in the head, I know.

But it's a very good oil. Some people around here think it may be one of the best oils ever made.

I dunno. But the Jetta has not blown up into a billion little pieces, nor has my hair started to fall out, so it's working!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Ignore the viscosity. If it has VW 502/505, you're fine. There are 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, and 5w40s that are approved for the spec.

I would say you can buy based on viscosity if you're concerned about fuel mileage or high-temp protection (extreme weather or very aggressive driving).

First, there is a huge difference between VW502 and VW505 oils. The 502 spec is for high performance turbocharged gasoline and diesel engines. It is one of the most difficult tests for oils to pass. The 505 spec is for non turbo gasoline engines and is a fuel economy oriented oil.

An oil that has achieved a VW502 certification has first invariably passed the ACEA A3/B4 testing. Whereas an oil achieving the more lenient 505 cert will meet the ACEA a5/b5 (fuel economy) standards certification. There are very few oils that are 502 certified, although some claim to meet the standard but but are not actually certified. For instance, Amsoil AFL claims to meet or exceed the 502 standards but they have not paid for the testing by an independent lab to actually be certified.

Mobil One 0W-40 is the finest consumer oil that Mobil has ever made. I only wish they made the same blend and base stocks in a 0W-30 grade for better flow and less drag. I have been using it in my Audi 2.0 liter turbo 225 hp (chipped to a supposed 275 hp). I run it 10k miles with a Napa Gold (Wix) filter. It now has 150k on the car, the last 75k on Mobil One and the previous on Amsoil AFL. The last OA showed outstanding back in September 2010. I have it tested at a local lab that tests oils for most of the truck fleets in the area. last UOA showed; tbn 1.9, 100C Cst 13.9 and very low wear metals. I drive very hard, the tachometer swings to 7k all to frequently and it runs stronger than ever with 150k on the odometer. I have no doubt it will run 250k with ease. They are generally bulletproof engines with the body's falling apart around a still perfect engine.

In a nutshell, Mobil One 0W-40 is a VW 502 certified oil and is on the VW AG list of approved oils for engines requiring a 502 speced oil. Use with confidence, it is an excellent product. It will pass the new API SN rating with no modifications to the current blend.

Originally Posted By: kbowley
Originally Posted By: dparm

First, there is a huge difference between VW502 and VW505 oils. The 502 spec is for high performance turbocharged gasoline and diesel engines. It is one of the most difficult tests for oils to pass. The 505 spec is for non turbo gasoline engines and is a fuel economy oriented oil.

1. 502 is the general spec for "severe service" (driving & environmental conditions) with fixed OCI.
2. 505.00 was primarily for TDI's with the Bosch VE injection pump and fixed OCI
3. 505.01 was primarily for TDI PD with fixed OCI

4. 503.00 was the general gas spec with flexible service intervals
5. 503.01 was the flexible interval AND certain high output engines. Because 503.01 was not mandated in the US, with certain Audi RS engines, 505.01 was the closest substitute

6. 506.00 was primarily for the older TDI's with flexible service intervals
7. 506.01 was flexible service intervals plus Pump-Duse.

While Mobil 1 0w40 meets 502.00 spec, unfortunately, FSI fuel dilution hammers this oil, which 502.00 specification pre-dated FSI technology

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
I've never seen a VW505 oil that wasn't also VW502 approved.

First let me apologize, i was referring to the 503 vs 502 oils rather than the 505.
Since the 503 spec is less stringent. If an oil passes the 502 spec, it certainly will pass the 503 spec.

Quote:
While Mobil 1 0w40 meets 502.00 spec, unfortunately, FSI fuel dilution hammers this oil, which 502.00 specification pre-dated FSI technology

Hmm, the majority of Mobil One 0W-40 UOA have a good showing. It certainly has excellent results in my 2.0T, better and more consistent than the AFL did. My owners manual states 5k change intervals and I am running double that at 10k and the oil could easily go 12.5k. it stays within grade, has a tbn of around 2, holds its flash point. I will stick with it on this engine. It performs as well, if not better, than any oil I have used.

My manual states 5000 miles...so does Audi's

How do you get 5K intervals from that? Engine oil is pretty clearly marked as 5,15,25,35,45... etc. IE, the first change is 5K and then it is every 10K after that.

robert

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
I've never seen a VW505 oil that wasn't also VW502 approved.

First let me apologize, i was referring to the 503 vs 502 oils rather than the 505.
Since the 503 spec is less stringent. If an oil passes the 502 spec, it certainly will pass the 503 spec.

How is 502.00 more stringent than 503.00 and 503.01? The flexible service interval can allow for greater OCI's than 502.

Plus, when the C5 RS6 was available in the US... VW502.00 was not allowed for use in the engine. In fact, it was 505.01, that was mandated for US use. That being said, how is 502 more stringent than 503 (as a generalization)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back