High mileage oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been on in a while, so I thought I'd get an update on the current consensus, or lack thereof on oils. I sold my Electra(300,000 miles on engine and transmission) last year for a 98 Buick Regal. It currently has around 230,000 miles and for some reason now I think about high mileage oils. What do you guys think is the best or are they still not worth it. 3800s are usually easier on oil than anything so the main advantage I could see is a possible reduction in oil leakage. I have a small leak, probably oil pan or rear seal. I currently run Pennzoil or Havoline 5w30 year round, about 4000-5000 miles per oil change. I don't want to sacrifice mileage though since I drive about 80 miles a day.

We also just bought a minivan with the 3500, my first non-3800 vehicle is years, so I'm concerned about the best normal oil for that engine if anyone has any experience.

You should try the new Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-30. It's pretty much has the same viscosity as the regular 5W-30. It's not made thicker like Maxlife or Castrol HM 5W-30's. It's $13.50 for the 5 quart jug at Wallyworld also.

Are you worried about it leaking or something? I don't believe in high mileage oils. If the engine is going to leak it's going to leak. If a gasket is going to go bad it's gonna go bad. The oil type isn't going to matter.

I have a 95 LeSabre with a 3800. It had a slight oil leak, drops on the ground after being parked in one spot for a while. Switched to Valvoline Maxlife and the leaks stopped. Just my real life experience. Take it for what its worth. I will keep using HM oils, but will go to the Mobil HM as it is now cheaper than Maxlife. I hope it is as good.

My drippy 2000 Dodge Caravan 3.3 with 155,000 miles is going on Pennzoil HM (Dino) next change. Then I'm driving it to southern Texas in July, so it will get a good test.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
You should try the new Mobil Super High Mileage 5W-30. It's pretty much has the same viscosity as the regular 5W-30. It's not made thicker like Maxlife or Castrol HM 5W-30's. It's $13.50 for the 5 quart jug at Wallyworld also.

The Mobil Super HM 5-30 is a semi syn by the way.

I know some people write off HM oils as nothing but marketing, but using them (mostly Valvoline Maxlife) in my Corolla on average lowers oil consumption by about 500 miles a quart. With conventional oils, I average about 1,500 to 2,000 miles per quart of consumption. With Maxlife, it's 2,000 to 2,500. So it does seem to slow oil consumption a bit.

I plan on switching my pop's Olds 88 to a HM oil as it to has developed an oil leak - rear seal or something.

Thanks for the response guys. Are all of these energy conserving?

Originally Posted By: T-Keith

AFAIK, None of the HM oils are. They tend to run to the higher viscosity side of the grades. They are formulated for wear protection over that last little bit of extra fuel mileage.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: T-Keith

AFAIK, None of the HM oils are. They tend to run to the higher viscosity side of the grades. They are formulated for wear protection over that last little bit of extra fuel mileage.

Maxlife, GTX High Mileage, and I believe Pennzoil High Mileage are not energy conserving because they're on the thick side of each SAE grade. Mobil Super High Mileage IS energy conserving since it's roughly the same viscosity as most other oils that are energy conserving.

I'm temped to try Mobil Super HM for my next oil change since it's only $13 at wally world. $1 more than dino Mobil Super.

But I'm wondering is there any benefit on using Mobil Super HM? My car doesn't leak/burn oil, but it's a minor sludge engine. I know it's a blend, but there's just not much information out there about this oil.

Could be worthwhile for you to try the HM oil. Typically, they contain higher detergency than regular oils, so it could clean out sludge over time.

Ive been thinking about HM oils myself alot lately. My civic keeps losing oil somewhere so I need to stop wasting PU on top offs and get something that might help or at least save me money in oil consumption. Its hard to find any articals on here about them unless its maxlife.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
...Mobil Super High Mileage IS energy conserving since it's roughly the same viscosity as most other oils that are energy conserving.

Oh yes, that's the new stuff isn't it? I was thinking about trying that but haven't seen any Super on the shelves yet.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Ive been thinking about HM oils myself alot lately. My civic keeps losing oil somewhere so I need to stop wasting PU on top offs and get something that might help or at least save me money in oil consumption. Its hard to find any articals on here about them unless its maxlife.

Why don't you try M1 HM 5w30? Sounds about perfect for your application.

Originally Posted By: Alex38
Originally Posted By: yaris0128

Why don't you try M1 HM 5w30? Sounds about perfect for your application.
I may. Im assuming it has titanium since MS5K has it. Anyway theres a lot of HM oils out there and I dont know what to give a go. Maxlife seems the best route considering it gets talked about here where as the rest never do. And for the price its hard to beat even over some dinos.

Well I picked up some Mobil super high mileage today, even though I have several jugs of oil already. Oh well, I guess it can go in the wife's car. I did confirm that Mobil super was the only high mileage besides supertech that was "resource conserving". Interestingly Mobil 1 high mileage and even the 5w20 high mileage oils are not.

In case anyone wants to consider Super Tech HM,their 10W-30 is energy conserving.

Here is the latest PDS for ST HM 10W-30 and 10W-40

10W-30

Physical Specifications
Procedure Test Min Max Typical Results
ASTM D4052 Specific Gravity at 60̊F NA NA 0.8714
ASTM D287 API Gravity NA NA 30.88
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 100̊C, cSt 9.3 ASTM D445 Viscosity at 40̊C, cSt NA NA 69.53
ASTM D2270 Viscosity Index NA NA 137
ASTM D1500 ASTM Color NA NA 2.5
ASTM D5293 Cold Cranking Simulator, cP NA 7000 6301
ASTM D5185 Zinc, % mass NA NA 0.085
ASTM D4951 Phosphorus, % mass 0.06 0.08 0.072
ASTM D5185 Calcium, % mass NA NA 0.214
ASTM D5185 Molybdenum, % mass NA NA 0.008
ASTM D5185 Boron, % mass NA NA 0.023
ASTM D4951 Sulfur, % mass NA 0.5 0.357
ASTM D5762 Nitrogen, % mass NA NA 0.102
ASTM D874 Sulfated Ash, % mass NA NA 0.92

High Mileage 10W-30 API Performance SN/GF-5

• Meets or exceeds the latest North American vehicle warranty requirements API SN and previous API engines classifications SM, SL, SJ, SH
and ILSAC GF-3 and GF

10W-40

Physical Specifications
Procedure Test Min Max Typical Results
ASTM D4052 Specific Gravity at 60̊F NA NA 0.8725
ASTM D287 API Gravity NA NA 30.68
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 100̊C, cSt 12.5 ASTM D445 Viscosity at 40̊C, cSt NA NA 109.70
ASTM D2270 Viscosity Index NA NA 150
ASTM D1500 ASTM Color NA NA 2.5
ASTM D5293 Cold Cranking Simulator, cP NA 7000 6757
ASTM D5185 Zinc, % mass NA NA 0.085
ASTM D4951 Phosphorus, % mass 0.06 NA 0.072
ASTM D5185 Calcium, % mass NA NA 0.214
ASTM D5185 Molybdenum, % mass NA NA 0.008
ASTM D5185 Boron, % mass NA NA 0.023
ASTM D4951 Sulfur, % mass NA NA 0.341
ASTM D5762 Nitrogen, % mass NA NA 0.102
ASTM D874 Sulfated Ash, % mass NA NA 0.92

High Mileage 10W-40 API Performance SN

• Meets or exceeds the latest North American vehicle warranty requirements API SN and previous API engines classifications SM, SL, SJ, SH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back