new bike pics and a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have been lurking on this site all winter long and finally have taken the plunge and got a new bike.

I am lucky to have so many great bike shops around me. I test drove a bunch of them and finally settled on a specialized sirrus with disc brakes.
http://img855.imageshack.us/i/evanpics676.jpg

I have taken a pretty good ride on it already and was pretty happy with my purchase, overall.
I am not all the impressed with the disc brakes. I feel as if the v brakes on the cheaper version worked better. Desending down a long huge hill and the brakes didn't feel all that strong they needed a very firm pull on the lever. Would this be typical or do they need an adjustment period. The shop adjusted them and they appear well assembled. What gives are the discs not as strong???

I have added a few pre planned additions right away.
kickstand which I guess is not for real riders or so I read in a few posts
matching water bottle and holder
cat eye rear flasher I wouldn't attempt to drive without one on public streets.

Soon to be installed. I have read the pro's and con's but I am looking for actual users reviews.
http://img832.imageshack.us/i/evanpics677.jpg

I am looking for recommendations for a few additional parts

Where can I find this bag and what is it called???
[URL]http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/TriBag[/url]

What rear rack and expandable bag that has fold out panniers do you reccommend. I prefer all black with reflective material?

What is the best pedal set for use with any footwear?

My main goals for the bike is to add into my work out routine because I can't stand being trapped in the gym any more.

I can't answer your questions but I can say that is a very nice looking bike. What does it weigh and what does it cost?

I am also looking to start riding more because my 5 mile walks gave me a case of plantar faciitis and that isn't fun.

it's almost all aluminum it's one of the lightest bikes I could find. I already smashed over a curb or two and the bike handles it just fine. Msrp is around 800 but must dealers will work on price.

The brakes may just need a bit of use before you get their full performance. They also should be adjusted to ensure that they have the minimum necessary clearance, any more and they just take longer to apply and you're less able to apply full force.

For parts and accessories, try Performance Bicycle, Price Point, Nashbar and BicycleBuys. You'll find loads of goodies to browse, research and fulfill your every need.

Just wondering what brakes are on the bike. Hydraulic or mechanical. I've got Avid BB7's on mines and you can adjust how much pressure the levers put on the brakes with an adjusting screw on the handle.

Originally Posted By: scotth324
Just wondering what brakes are on the bike. Hydraulic or mechanical. I've got Avid BB7's on mines and you can adjust how much pressure the levers put on the brakes with an adjusting screw on the handle.

That's not what is happening - all you're doing is moving the pads closer to the rotors. You're also not supposed to use that adjustment barrel with BB7's though I must admit, I don't know why.

Originally Posted By: evandostert
it's a cable pull system. Not so great. I wish I got good v brakes.

A good disc system properly adjusted will make you wonder how you ever rode with rim brakes. It's possible they are not bedded in yet, that they got contaminated somehow (it's very easy to contaminate as in a vehicle with silicones, oils, etc) or that they simply aren't a very good brake system (which I doubt as even the cheap disc systems are usually fairly strong).

I might suggest cleaning them with some alcohol (pads and rotors) and see if it changes anything, and make sure you don't discharge any aerosols nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back