F1 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rpn453
Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
Great video and thanks for the post! I agree with you, I always enjoyed Martin Brundle as a driver and has always been a straight-up guy. It's just too bad that Speed is the only channel in the states that broadcasts F1 and that I don't have the opportunity to catch the ITV broadcasts, even though I've caught some recent videos featuring him on Youtube.

Does Speed use different commentators? TSN carries F1 here in Canada. I think it's a BBC feed though, and we do get Brundle. Speed is blacked out during F1 events.

Speed's commentators are Bob Varsha, David Hobbs and Steve Machett (you may remember him as one of the head Benetton mechanics during the Michael Schumacher years), just like in Speed's Formula One Debrief program. During the broadcasts they rely on the F1 world feed and I believe they do the commentary from Charlotte, NC.

Not sure if you were referring to "current" F1 cars when you mentioned "800hp/750lbft injected 7 liter V8" but...current F1 cars are 2.4 liter...On a purely linear scale, a 7 liter F1 engine would be almost 2,400hp.
The highest output of F1 was just 6 years ago when they were running 3.0 liter V10 (almost 1,000hp)...The "turbo" era was only around 750hp because those were 1.5 liter engines.
GaryM

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
Speed's commentators are Bob Varsha, David Hobbs and Steve Machett (you may remember him as one of the head Benetton mechanics during the Michael Schumacher years), just like in Speed's Formula One Debrief program. During the broadcasts they rely on the F1 world feed and I believe they do the commentary from Charlotte, NC.

They do have their commentary from Charlotte. The only people on site are Will Buxton and his camera operator. They do use the World Feed for all other video. Last season I was watching teh BBC broadcast and the quality of the coverage is substantially higher. They have their entire crew on site, I know they have David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan as part of their crew and I think Matrin Brundle does color commentary. They use the World Feed for video during the race, but everything else is from their crew on site. IIRC during the actual GP you can only show the World Feed as per FOM rules.

Originally Posted By: GaryM
Not sure if you were referring to "current" F1 cars when you mentioned "800hp/750lbft injected 7 liter V8" but...current F1 cars are 2.4 liter...On a purely linear scale, a 7 liter F1 engine would be almost 2,400hp.
The highest output of F1 was just 6 years ago when they were running 3.0 liter V10 (almost 1,000hp)...The "turbo" era was only around 750hp because those were 1.5 liter engines.
GaryM

He was talking about the Can-Am cars back in the late 60's and early 70's.

The restricted turbos, at the end of their reign in Formula One, were held back to about 750-800hp. However, they had been putting out up to 1500hp during qualifying, and about 1100hp in race trim, at their height in the early 80's.

F1 Turbos used to run on toluene.

From Wikipedia: "Toluene can be used as an octane booster in gasoline fuels used in internal combustion engines. Toluene at 86% by volume fueled all the turbo Formula 1 teams in the 1980s, first pioneered by the Honda team. The remaining 14% was a "filler" of n-heptane, to reduce the octane to meet Formula 1 fuel restrictions. Toluene at 100% can be used as a fuel for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines; however, due to the density of the fuel and other factors, the fuel does not vaporize easily unless preheated to 70 degrees Celsius (Honda accomplished this in their Formula 1 cars by routing the fuel lines through the muffler system to heat the fuel). Toluene also poses similar problems as alcohol fuels, as it eats through standard rubber fuel lines and has no lubricating properties as standard gasoline does, which can break down fuel pumps and cause upper cylinder bore wear."

I've heard that today's F1 run on stuff very similar to what we get at the pump, well at least what people in Europe get at the pump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back