2004.5 Cummins 5.9, 180k, Schaeffers 5w40 S9k CJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, here's where a UOA is a bit ambiguous ...

High PPM of Fe or Pb can be concerning in short OCIs, but long ones can simply show the gradual accumulation of those items.

And since UOAs only measure content by percentage and not particle size, you really have no idea if the 40 ppm of Pb would be 40 units at 1um in size, 20 units 2um in size, 80 units .5um in size, etc. Get it? As long as the particle sizes are small (less then 5um) and they stay that small, there is little (if any) real damage being done, and they are most likely shed from oxidation rather than wear.

At this point, I'd say this load of oil is still OK to use. But everyone has a different comfort level.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
You think I'm safe to 20k?

My plan was 20k OCIs...once I get the baseline that indicates I'm good to 20k anyway.

I would say based on wear numbers, oxidation and nitration, you can do 20K. Of course, do another UOA for us all to see :)

I plan on another sample at 20k...my concern would be the filters, and if they can handle the interval.

I do have a bypass, only a B50; but better than nothing.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I've got to admit this is a bit perplexing.

While I do recommend sticking with one oil for a few UOA cycles, to let the chemistry normalize, I can't discount the oddity of these readings. Everything went up. I don't buy the whole "synthetics cleaning out the dino stuff"; it's not like Rotella doesn't have a good dispersant/detergent package, after all.

Viscosity climb is odd as well. I would have thought that running a bypass system would keep the oil more "clean", and therefore keep the vis at a more "normal" level. Not that it's out of sight, but it's elevated.

Sometimes, for nearly unexplainable reasons, synthetics and bypass just don't always add up. A good dino oil on reasonable OCIs can perform quite well.

But, I'd say to give it a fair chance, you'd have to run the current combination a few more OCIs to make some "fair" comparisons. One UOA does not make for solid conclusions; just assumptions.

Maybe that is why Cummins states we do not recommended a synthetic .....

I will be posting new results shortly, I had several unannounced trips rear their ugly head, an I sit with almost 23k on the current fill. I will most likely complete the change this coming weekend, and send the sample off.

The current fill has two 2,000 mile trips, loaded with a trailer weighing between 7500 and 8500 pounds (actual weight, not estimated) and not including the load in the truck itself. Not to mention multiple trailer loads (as in 2.5 cords hardwood each) on 700 miles trips and truck loads of firewood too. And several hauls of my fathers 5k pound tractor around too. The last 20k has seen more use than the past 2 years!!

Will post the results when I get them...

Originally Posted By: badnews
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I've got to admit this is a bit perplexing.

While I do recommend sticking with one oil for a few UOA cycles, to let the chemistry normalize, I can't discount the oddity of these readings. Everything went up. I don't buy the whole "synthetics cleaning out the dino stuff"; it's not like Rotella doesn't have a good dispersant/detergent package, after all.

Viscosity climb is odd as well. I would have thought that running a bypass system would keep the oil more "clean", and therefore keep the vis at a more "normal" level. Not that it's out of sight, but it's elevated.

Sometimes, for nearly unexplainable reasons, synthetics and bypass just don't always add up. A good dino oil on reasonable OCIs can perform quite well.

But, I'd say to give it a fair chance, you'd have to run the current combination a few more OCIs to make some "fair" comparisons. One UOA does not make for solid conclusions; just assumptions.

Maybe that is why Cummins states we do not recommended a synthetic .....

Unless it's Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme-then it's recommended for extended drains!!
21.gif

245,136 miles
22,536 miles on oil

NO MAKEUP OIL
NO OIL LOST (LEVEL FULL in = LEVEL FULL out)
NO FILTER CHANGE (during this 22k run)

At least 25% was towing a a trailer between 5000 and 8500 pounds. Two trips between Columbus, GA and Pennsylvania were over 7000 each.

(All in PPM, unless otherwise noted)

CU - 16
FE - 39
CR - 1
AL - 7
PB - 6
MO - 303
P - 931
ZN - 1093
MG - 732
CA - 1128
NA - 8
K - 1
ANTIFREEZE - N%
FUEL - N%
H20 - 0.0%
SI - 5
VISC - 15.87 CST
SAE - 40
SULFUR - 9%
OXIDATION - 3%
NITRATION - 12%
SOOT - 0.9%

Schaeffers noted the oil to be normal and to extend the change to 25,500 miles.

Thoughts? Concerns?

I was told elsewhere it was too much for the filter...even though I have a bypass...does it look to be the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back