P0303 again

Status
Not open for further replies.

rat

2002 Taurus 3.0 Duratec. Misfire cylinder 3. First time the code came up was in November, and at that time I changed plugs and wires and cleared the code. Engine light came on this morning on the way to work, and started to spudder on acceleration. P0303 code again! I use a bottle of Techron whenever I find it on sale, and usually every other tank use 4-5 oz of mmo in the tank. Where should I look from here?

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Does this have coil on each spark plug or one coil pack with plug wires?

Coil pack with 3 individual coils part of the pack with spark plug wires going to the cylinders.

I'm gonna pull the coil off later and check it out, its no treat to get out of there! How likely is it that a coil pack would show a misfire on one cylinder? I thought it would show random or multiple cylinders misfiring it that were the case.

Originally Posted By: rat
I'm gonna pull the coil off later and check it out, its no treat to get out of there! How likely is it that a coil pack would show a misfire on one cylinder? I thought it would show random or multiple cylinders misfiring it that were the case.

I am not sure but since the coil packs are set up like they are,you would probably get a misfire on one cylinder.The ECM would be able to tell which cylinder was misfiring.

When you check the coil,if you cant find any cracks,clean the surfaces with a clean rag,no liqiuids,where the coil seats and apply a small amount of dialectric grease.This may help.

A quick test is to pray water mist over the coils , wires, and connections. This can tell if there is an open or short there. It should make things worse when you do it.

Of course aim and use care. And dry things off later.

You guys were right, there were cracks all over that coil.
New one in place and it runs better than ever. Thanks!
It still has the same issue it had previously of shaking violently under wide open throttle. I had hoped the coil would eliminate that but its still there...

It still has the same issue it had previously of shaking violently under wide open throttle. I had hoped the coil would eliminate that but its still there...

Does the check engine light flash during WOT?

Nope, car just shakes. Almost like going over rub strips in the road really fast

Nope, car just shakes. Almost like going over rub strips in the road really fast

That sounds more like a bad CV axle.

That sounds more like a bad CV axle.

Well I was very hopeful that this was the case, as when I changed my oil I noticed my outer cv boot was ripped on the driver side, and slinging grease everywhere. Changed the axle and went for a drive. Vibration still there....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back