best a/s tire for 3 seasons-no snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow traction does not matter to us-we just do not leave the house. I am concerned with wet, cold weather and the slop after the snow is removed. I have 2 tires in mind-Firestone Precision Touring and Avid Envigor. Firestone is too new for many reviews and the Envigor is mixed in snow ratings, but no cold and wet ratings. Any preference or other ideas? Car is a Nissan Rogue, FWD. Thanks.

According to CR Magazine, the #1 Michelin HydroEdge is the best 3 season tire they have tested(which still does well in the snow from those whom I know using them). Then there is the best 4 season tire also which is the #2 Hankook Optimo H727 (which excelled in snow for an A/S tire). This was in their 2010 tire test. The 2011 shows a 3 way tie with 2 LRR tires in the the mix. The Hydro Edge still #1 with a score of 84. The 3 way tie is between these tires with scores of 82. They are:

Continental ProContact ECO Plus+
Michelin Energy Saver A/S
Hankook Optimo H727

IDK if these tires come in the size that the OP needs.

Last edited:
Size is P225/60 17 H. Car is a daily driver 6-7k miles/year. Tire needs to be at least H speed rated. CR rated tires are not H rated. Concerned with wet and cold performance. The way we drive, any tire's dry performance is fine.

Yoko Avid Envigor was the winner by a large margin in a Tire Rack test for wet traction. So even though these Envigors are poor in the snow they maybe just the perfect tire for you.

Originally Posted By: tcmo
Size is P225/60 17 H. Car is a daily driver 6-7k miles/year. Tire needs to be at least H speed rated. CR rated tires are not H rated. Concerned with wet and cold performance. The way we drive, any tire's dry performance is fine.

Why, do you need an "H"? Do you push the car hard in the corners? Travel up to 130 mph? If so, try their best rated "H" speed rating tire the Michelin Primacy MXV4!

That's what was OEM on the car and I do not want to use a lower speed rating. I would buy the Primacy MXV4 but it is not made in the correct size.

That's really a shame the the Primacy MXV4's don't come in your size and your not considering the others in the "T" speed rating because they're really good tires. I have dropped from many "H" rated tires to "T" rated tires and have been happier for a variety of reasons, cost/mileage warranty is just one reason especially for my normal driving style. Maybe none of the "T" rated tires come in your size anyway.

Pirelli P4's come in "T" and "H" ratings but in your size from just a quick search that I've done, they only come in the "T"'s. IMHO, they out perform or perform as well as many "H"'s that I have had and also from my quick search on 225-60-17, more tires come in the "T" rating...No Lie! Have'em on my Altima.

I would say the Yokohama Avid TRZ but your size 225/60-17 is T rated in that tire. I would say the EnVigor would be your best choice between the two you are looking at,although i do like the looks of the new Firestone Precision.

If you're dead set on H rated tire in size 225/60-17 for your Nissan Rogue, then Yokohama EnVigor is the best choice. If you're willing to go down 1 speed rate to T, then there are many more choices.

The OEM tire of '94 lS400 was V rated, I had been using H, T and S rated tires on it for more than 200k miles without problem. I drove it with S rated tires at speed north of 100 MPH when passing Death Valley in summer on trips to Vegas without a blow out tire.

Thank you for all the replies. I will buy the Envigor because the local Nissan dealer has a buy 3 tires, get the 4th for a dollar and I agree it fits my needs. The Nokian was a choice, but I don't like the local dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back