just added kreen to my explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: electrolover
well guys sorry to say nothing to report here. i cut open the filter and only found really dark oil. there were a few black specs but nothing out of the ordinary. still the used oil was very dark for a 2k oci
No bad news - is good news!

Any particulate matter is probably long gone with the other stuff you used over time.Didn't you use MMO and something else?
Now its probably just cleaning up any small amounts of dark residue lurking in small nooks and crannies,after this i would just go back to my normal oil and OCI.

BTW dissolved varnish will not show up in the filter usually those particles are carbonaceous material from the ring packs or tiny hard baked sludge particles.
On a clean engine you should not be getting much of either,your engine sounds like its clean.

Edit: As RnR said good news indeed!

Last edited:
i have never used an additive before in this engine.
the history is something like this:
first 50k QS dino at 3k oci
second 50k PYB and 3k ocis
from 100-110 PP with 3k oci
110-111 PYB
111-113 FS and kreen(1 pint)
current fill quakerstate torque power 10/30
now this is all from memory so the numbers could be off just a tad but its the best i can recall. although i think it went longer than 1k with PYB! but the numbers are close, with in 1000 miles anyhow

the fill hole pics were after the 10k with PP. the car was handed down to my wife with 100k or 90k something like that and i looked over the records in the glove box and chose to run PP because it was advertised as being very clean. of coarse being ignorant(pre bitog) i just assumed it was sludged up because it had only seen PYB and QSAD. out of superstition i chose PP because i figured it would be close enough to PYB to change and not sludge up from changing oil types
lol.gif
all i can say is to this day its only had sopus oils in it and the engine is extremely clean!! this car speaks loads on the pyb/qs sludge myth!!

just a note, i think this car is a prime candidate for extended ocis. i plan on pushing the fill with QSTP to its first 5k run then maybe stretching it a bit more.
just a thought

If you go to 5K or longer, I'd be curious to see what UOAs start showing since it's been fairly clean from regular maintenance before this effort with Kreen.

Good stuff. I may try Kreen eventually after pulling the VCG again on the VX to see if the next cleanup interval leaves more to be desired afterward.

How did I ever get thru the 60s 70s 80s 90s without Kreen. Never lost an engine over ancient oils either, must have done something right. IMHO

I don't remember engines from that era as fondly as you do.
100K on most of those engines was considered the average life span now its not even a milestone in the cars life anymore.
I have chiselled the sludge out of enough old timers back in the day to know better.
The worst i ever saw in my whole life was in a 64 Belvedere with a 318 2bbl carter with 80k on the clock.There are no words to describe it.The poor thing got passed from one GI to another with iffy maintenance till the screen plugged solid and died.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
How did I ever get thru the 60s 70s 80s 90s without Kreen. Never lost an engine over ancient oils either, must have done something right. IMHO

if you remember the 60's or the 70's , you weren't there..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back