Check engine light flashing/engine sputtering bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gf`s 1998 Olds 88 3800 Series II V6). Check engine light is flashing and the engine is sputtering/missing really bad. What in the world could be causing this? I`ve never had this happen on any car I`ve owned before.

A side note,the water pump is slightly leaking,but surely this has no correlation,right?

Last edited:
Flashing CEL means misfire. Usually one of the basics: spark, fuel, or compression.

Get the codes read. Most FLAPS will do it for free.

Get the codes read; we can help you better diagnose the issue if we know the codes.

Did I mention that you should get the codes read?

Funny; I just put a new fuel injector in my Dad's 1999 Olds 88 with the same problem! But it could be any number of things like eljefino indicated. Check engine light flashing means get it fixed ASAP as a misfire is detected and raw fuel is going through the exhaust. Could plug the converter.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

Get the codes read; we can help you better diagnose the issue if we know the codes.

The code will likely be a misfire detected in one cylinder. It won't help diagnose the problem.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

The code will likely be a misfire detected in one cylinder. It won't help diagnose the problem.

If it's a misfire on two cylinders that share a coil, that hints pretty strongly at that ignition issue...

A single cylinder might more likely be an injector; I had that on my 97 silhouette 3.4.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Sure it will...it might eliminate a vacuum leak. It could also point to an injector circuit problem, or it may confirm that it IS a misfire on one cylinder. Either way, it will give the OP a direction so he doesn't start blindly throwing parts at an unknown problem.

I`m also going to drain that orange [censored] and replace it with green glycol when I replace the water pump.

Since this is BOB IS THE OIL GUY the problem is to change the oil. If you used synthetic oil there never would be any engine problems. What does the code read? the code will lead you to a problem.

One super quick and easy thing to check is to pull the plug wires off one at a time and inspect the tower on the coil. Sometimes they'll get rusty or oxidized really bad and cause all kinds of havoc. Failing that, look for signs of damage to the plug wires... After that get the codes read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back