'09 Mazda 3- Tuneup Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

My fiance drives a '09 Mazda 3 sedan with the 2.0 I-4 and around 40,000 miles on the clock. I've been doing the oil changes and tire rotations on it since she got it, and it seems to be a good little car. However, she keeps complaining that the gas mileage is dropping like a stone. If its time for a tune up, what all is supposed to be replaced? And what are some recommended parts brands? I'm in uncharted territory dealing with a Japanese Compact, even one with a FoMoCo engine lol.

Thanks!

I suppose you could change the plugs, and the air filter and PCV valve, but there really is nothing to tune up on this car. I would start logging the number of miles per gallon, per tank and see if this is more than a perception. If the car seems to be running fine, I would wait and see. Check the tire pressure.

Look in the owners manual for maintenance intervals .
Before jumping into a tune up are the tire pressures ok ?
If they are stick with the original equipment brand and type of spark plug . just about any major brand of air filter will do a good job and ditto for the cabin air filter if it has one .if the maintenance schedule calls for a transmission service have it done at the dealer .

I'd refer to the Owners Manual for sure. The spark plugs could be good for 60-100,000 miles but, the manual will say. If you don't have a manual, go to the Mazda website and download it.

Actually, to my understanding, the drivetrains are Mazda in your fiance mazda3 the chassis is Volve, susspension is Ford with Mazda tweeks to their liking. And all three companys share the platform with each other in the...Euro Focus(here in '11), Mazda3 and Volve S4 but all three companys do different things/tweeks to make them individual.

I have read this many times but, I can't substanciate any of it. I have noticed that the brake master cylinder, calipers and such do say FoMoCo on them but this doesn't mean that the whole car is a FORD! Just parts of it as FORD owns some, oh let's say, 30% of Mazda.

OK, now that that's over, lets get to the tune up thing.

I blame fuel! My daughter has an '06 Mazda3 2.0 auto w/75,000 miles and never been tuned. She alway got and still gets very good MPG but, lately she too has been complaining that it has dropped substancially. As the matter of fact, we are all complaining about our MPG in all of our cars especially this winter as it was steadily cold this winter all the time. We actually check accurately our MPG and we never try to guess what it is like alot of people do.

Since the temps have climbed up nearing the 40's deg F we have all noticed that the MPG is also climbing slowly but nothing great. We have had a couple of weeks of warmer temps and our MPG in all of our cars is still lower than we all remember at these temps.

Now, I don't know how cold it gets in NC during this time of year(winter) how many mountains she drive through nor do I know what your fiance was getting as a baseline MPG. Has your fiance just started complaining or has she been complaining all season long as my daughter has??? Especially from Jan-present. Has your fiances' driving route or style changed at all???

My daughter's mazda3 usually gets 33 MPG city/mixed driving and over 40 highway and highway only. This winter her MPG dropped down to 25 city/mix(5W20) and is climbing back up slowly as we're entering Spring. The EPA on this engine is 26/34 w/auto tranny and 28/35 manual tranny. She does better just because of good driving habbits, a bit of expressway driving(one on ramp to another off ramp) and good engine tune. From NY to Chicago, over 40+ MPG but, Your mileage may vary(YMMV)!

Check tire pressure, hanging up brakes and anything else you can think of that may be causing lower MPG all of a sudden. My daughter was actually getting better MPG with 5W30 than with 5W20 and the engine is just a bit quieter too.

Those 2.0's are sweet little engines. Drive it yourself and see if you feel anything amiss. They're smooth everywhere and if you feel anything rough, there may be a slight issue with the engine.

I did install new tires prior to winter and her MPG has never been the same but, that was in NOV'10 when the temps started to drop anyway so, it was hard(er) to measure. Although these tires are not supposed to be a high rolling resistance tire, they'er not an low rolling resistance(LRR) tire either. The previous tires were worn and hard maybe causing the HIGHER MPG. Were new tires installed recently on your fiances' car???

This is all I can think of right now!

I think MPG will climb as temps rise.

Last edited:
She doesnt need plugs till 100K - those are IR. Likely the car was driven too easily and is carboned up to high heaven. Put 30% Shell or Mobil premium for two tanks and see if that will improve the mileage and clean it up. Also agreed gas is horrendous and really bad during the spring changeover.

Last edited:
I doubt you have MTBE in the fuel... could be just an excessive winter blend? the gas mfgr could be trying to get rid of the excess addtive?

Ya it's actually a Japanese Compact with a Japanese designed engine, Ford handles the V6's. Mazda takes care of the I4.

It should not need anything except air filter & oil/oil filter changes. Just about all new cars come with Iridium/Platinum plugs good for at least 70k miles, hopefully over 100k if conditions are good.

Mileage falling off I bet has a lot to do with the quality of fuel, I'd noticed it a lot of both our cars.

Last edited:
There is really nothing to tune up. The plugs are good for 75k under severe service, air filter will not cause mileage drops unless it's almost clogged. Fuel filter is in the gas tank so no luck there.

One thing I would check for is sticking brake slider pins. In Mazda 3 a portion of the pin is exposed to elements and unlike a fully enclosed design, these pins require periodic lubrication and are more prone to sticking when not lubed.

EDIT:

I lube the pins every year in spring when I switch to my summer wheels and the lube is pretty dry on the pins. I don't put too much to begin with, but I can see that it this service was never done the pins would be pretty dry. Also, when I first lubed the pins, they were bone dry, as in no sign of lube on them at all from the factory!! Perhaps it was only my car for some reason, but just an FYI.

Last edited:
if you have an infered temperature gun, check brake rotor temps after and good drive and see if one of them are substantialy hotter than the others. one of your calipers might be stuck and dragging. I have found this twice on my neon after noticing a MPG drop and a slight rise in oil temps.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Ya it's actually a Japanese Compact with a Japanese designed engine, Ford handles the V6's. Mazda takes care of the I4.

It should not need anything except air filter & oil/oil filter changes. Just about all new cars come with Iridium/Platinum plugs good for at least 70k miles, hopefully over 100k if conditions are good.

Mileage falling off I bet has a lot to do with the quality of fuel, I'd noticed it a lot of both our cars.

I agree with the quality of the fuel as being an issue as I stated(but not clearly) in an above responce. I have noticed that all of our vehilces MPG have dropped, this winter especially more than any other winter. They can't all need a tune up!

Since the Mazda3 isn't available with a V6, you may be refering to the Mazda6/Ford Fusion, Ford Edge/Mazda CX-9. And we'll always get debates from FORD and Mazda sales personal as to which company make which engines. I always seem to hear these argurments between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back