Motorcraft filters - same in Canada as the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read lots of good things about Motorcraft filters for Ford vehicles here. Down in the US, they can be bought at WM and part stores.

Up here, AFAIK, they can ONLY be bought at Ford dealerships, and will be more expensive. Before I decide if I want to go and get one, I'm wondering:

Are they the same MC filters you get in the US, that are regarded so highly on this site? Anyone know?

Thanks!

They are the same. And they are not overly expensive at the dealer if you know the guy behind the counter. I got a case of 'em for a good price.

Ask the dealer to let you see one. If it has 6 oblong inlet holes, 6 crimps holding the gasket, and says "Fabriqué aux Etats-Unis", then it's the same filter.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Ask the dealer to let you see one. If it has 6 oblong inlet holes, 6 crimps holding the gasket, and says "Fabriqué aux Etats-Unis", then it's the same filter.

Hmmm! The Motorcraft FL-820S is as you described, but the FL-500S has seven (7) inlet holes. The latter replaces the former in several engine applications since 2009, e.g. 3.0 Fusion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hallmark

Hmmm! The Motorcraft FL-820S is as you described, but the FL-500S has seven (7) inlet holes. The latter replaces the former in several engine applications since 2009, e.g. 3.0 Fusion.

The FL-500S does not replace the FL-820S in any application. They just spec the FL-500S for certain apps.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Hallmark

The FL-500S does not replace the FL-820S in any application. They just spec the FL-500S for certain apps.

Thanks (seriously), bdcardinal, for your semantic correction...'replaces' may have been an inappropriate word in my previous post. At any rate, my selection of the Fusion 3.0 as an example was to focus on that engine app specifically. Prior to the 2009 model year, the FL-820S filter was spec'ed for the Fusion 3.0 V6. In August 2008, i.e. commencing with the 2009 model year and subsequent 2010-2011 model years, Ford spec'ed the FL-500S filter for the Fusion 3.0.

A review of this forum and other Ford/Fusion forums indicates that the spec change from FL-820S to FL-500S for the 3.0 app has caused some confusion amongst some DIYs searching through outdated retailer's filter catalogs, some issues with lube shops cross-referencing to the wrong aftermarket replacements, and even some Ford dealers reported to be installing both filters interchangeably.

The two filters differ in dimensions but, more inportantly, by-pass pressures and flow rates are not the same.

Last edited:
On the newer models whenever I hand out a filter to the shop I look it up with VIN. Its not something worth guessing over. You dont know how many times front counter customers say "i read on my *insert model here* owners forum that I should use whatever filter because its better and you have to warranty it. I just nod and punt to the parts manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back